• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilting head when eating 2-10: feeling better =)

Our best of the local vets like to use buprenorphine. Rudey had it there & you couldn't tell, Joey (that recent-ish episode he had) too - he was marginally subdued for a short while but nothing to worry me. My thoughts about whether Casper is more drowsy than you thought are i don't think it really matters as long as it isn't distressing him, stopping him going to the loo, interacting with Sophie etc. Obviously wholly alert would be the ideal but with sick & elderly bunnies its always more of a balancing act. I'd rather my bunnies pain was covered fully even if he looked a bit spaced for an hour or 2 each day.

Topping up the vibes for Casper

I'm so sorry he's not well :( sending lots of hugs and vibes, sorry I've not been about so much xx

We're not having a good day. The extra painkiller doesn't seem to make any difference at all, to be honest. :( I got up a couple of times during the night to check on him and for syringe-feeding, and he ate some dried forage and a tiny amount of fresh herbs very early this morning. He hasn't eaten anything by himself since then, though. But the thing that's breaking my heart is how unhappy he is, and how he just seems more and more unhappy each day. He isn't spending any time with Sophie at all; they spent the entire night apart, Casper sitting on his table, and Sophie sleeping next to the sofa. He has no interest in doing his daily inspection of my bedroom like he does every morning, and he hasn't asked to go out to the balcony, he's not coming into the kitchen to beg for food while I prepare his breakfast and dinner, he's not running around looking for his greens during salad time, he's not doing any of the things that make his day fun. He loves food, but isn't able to eat any of his favourite things. He hates the syringe-feeding and being held so I can give him his meds. He's just peeing where he sits. He's less active every day... :( As things are now, I'm not so much wondering whether it'd be the kindest thing to let him go, but whether I should wait until Monday, because I don't think he wants to keep going and I don't want to make him suffer for longer than necessary.

Sophie is upset and I'm having a hard time convincing her to eat enough. She didn't want her pellets this morning, but she's eaten some grass now, and her Joint Support Tabs, which are her favourite 'treats'. She's just sitting under her little chair, though, looking sad. :(

I'm sorry to hear that Casper is still not well. You really take good care of him, you make a superhuman effort. I hope casper recovers completely, I'm sending a lot of vibrations for him. Xxxxxx :(
Thank you so much for caring and for sending vibes, KCG.

Our best of the local vets like to use buprenorphine. Rudey had it there & you couldn't tell, Joey (that recent-ish episode he had) too - he was marginally subdued for a short while but nothing to worry me. My thoughts about whether Casper is more drowsy than you thought are i don't think it really matters as long as it isn't distressing him, stopping him going to the loo, interacting with Sophie etc. Obviously wholly alert would be the ideal but with sick & elderly bunnies its always more of a balancing act. I'd rather my bunnies pain was covered fully even if he looked a bit spaced for an hour or 2 each day.

Topping up the vibes for Casper
Thank you for the vibes, j&b. They're very much appreciated. And that's true, yeah, that I guess it doesn't really matter if he's more drowsy than I thought... It doesn't seem to be distressing him; he's just sitting behind the curtain looking through the window, not doing much. But his quietness is keeping him from doing his normal things. :( But, yes, I agree that his pain being completely covered is the most important thing.

I'm so sorry he's not well :( sending lots of hugs and vibes, sorry I've not been about so much xx
Thank you so much for being sorry and for the hugs and vibes, Graciee.

He's been eating a bit from his buffet, mostly dried forage, but also half a tiny sunflower. :love:

cBtrBSXh.jpeg

I’m sorry things are looking so bleak :cry: I’m glad he’s enjoying his buffet, on that photo he looks pretty bright :love: sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

Oh big hugs for you both x

I've often found partner bunnies aren't too interested when their friend is sick. Rodney is the only one that would snuggle up sometimes, the others tended to try and be very separate apart from trying to steal special foods.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

How is his drinking? Keep up the syringe feeds and perhaps give more often.
His meds may be keeping him inactive.
His eyes are bright and his ears up in his picture.
As long as he is comfortable and nibbling food I would give yourself more time.
Sending vibes.

that is a beautiful photo of Casper :love: I'm sorry the pain relief isn't making the difference we'd all hoped for. You'll make the right decision at the right time for the right reasons, I'm 100% sure of that

I am so sorry things doesn't look good for Casper. But glad he has been eating a bit. That is such a lovely photo of him:love: and what a nice buffet!
You look after him so well!
Sending more vibes and hugs!

Thank you so, so much for being here and being so very kind, everyone. I appreciate it so much. :love: I know most of you know how hard it is when there doesn't seem to be much hope for them anymore.

Bunny momma, I haven't seen him drink at all (he never does when he feels unwell), but he is peeing (he peed on my lap while I was syringe feeding him earlier, and he just peed in his litter tray as well), so I hope that means he's getting enough fluids from the syringe feeding?

I have a bit of a surprising update? After I put him down on the ground after his latest feeding he's been flopped down in his house next to the litter tray, which he has been using, and he has eaten some dried forage and some fresh grass and some fresh parsley as well, and he's currently eating hay. :shock::love:

Sophie's doing better, too. She came to see Casper and is now eating everything from his buffet. :lol:

Thank you so, so much for being here and being so very kind, everyone. I appreciate it so much. :love: I know most of you know how hard it is when there doesn't seem to be much hope for them anymore.

Bunny momma, I haven't seen him drink at all (he never does when he feels unwell), but he is peeing (he peed on my lap while I was syringe feeding him earlier, and he just peed in his litter tray as well), so I hope that means he's getting enough fluids from the syringe feeding?

I have a bit of a surprising update? After I put him down on the ground after his latest feeding he's been flopped down in his house next to the litter tray, which he has been using, and he has eaten some dried forage and some fresh grass and some fresh parsley as well, and he's currently eating hay. :shock::love:

Sophie's doing better, too. She came to see Casper and is now eating everything from his buffet. [emoji38]
Wow! Go Casper! [emoji7]

Back