• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit barely eating

I'm so sorry to read the sad news. Many of us understand only too well the sadness of taking the decision to end the suffering of a beloved rabbit. Hoping you can find comfort from memories of her life with you and knowing you did all you could to help her. x

I am so sorry :cry: You have made the most compassionate decision for your Bunny, even though having to do so has broken your heart :cry: RIP Lola xx

That is so sad, and I feel so sorry for your entire family. You did everything for Lola and she must have had a wonderful life with you.

Thank you everyone. As I said in a previous post I wasn't allowed pets as a child so losing Lola is my first experience of this and to be honest my wife and I are finding it very difficult. Time will heal. Its amazing how such a small animal can play such huge part in our lives x

Thank you everyone. As I said in a previous post I wasn't allowed pets as a child so losing Lola is my first experience of this and to be honest my wife and I are finding it very difficult. Time will heal. Its amazing how such a small animal can play such huge part in our lives x

I actually don't think that having this experience many times makes it any the less heartbreaking. Yes, in my view, time will certainly lessen the rawness of it, but for me that feeling of loss remains. In time though it will become possible to think back on the wonderful time you both had with Lola with a smile.

Sending hugs. We are all here to listen and to empathise.

Losing a beloved pet can be a very heart wrenching feeling. You gave Lola a lot of love and wonderful care until the end so she was just as blessed to have you and your wife as you were to have Lola.
May your memories of such a wonderful little bunny give you some warm feelings.

Perhaps in time you will share some special memories and/or pictures of Lola on this forum.

When the time is right, I hope you will consider giving another bunny the wonderful opportunity to have you and your wife in his/her life.

I actually don't think that having this experience many times makes it any the less heartbreaking. Yes, in my view, time will certainly lessen the rawness of it, but for me that feeling of loss remains. In time though it will become possible to think back on the wonderful time you both had with Lola with a smile.

Sending hugs. We are all here to listen and to empathise.
Having only joined the forum at the weekend we are already seeing how sympathetic and thoughtful everyone is , many having experienced the same loss at some point.
We knew we made the correct decision to end Lola's pain and we both thought our feelings would settle down quickly but bringing her home and laying her to rest seems to have made us feel even worse. We were both in tears this morning looking into the garden and the sense of loss is something Ive never even felt when losing relatives, does that seem a terrible thing to say?
Sorry for rambling on. I think if I told my friends how we are feeling they'd think we were nuts. It seems crazy as we have two wonderful teenagers and we are happy but theres a huge hole in our lives this morning.

Having only joined the forum at the weekend we are already seeing how sympathetic and thoughtful everyone is , many having experienced the same loss at some point.
We knew we made the correct decision to end Lola's pain and we both thought our feelings would settle down quickly but bringing her home and laying her to rest seems to have made us feel even worse. We were both in tears this morning looking into the garden and the sense of loss is something Ive never even felt when losing relatives, does that seem a terrible thing to say?
Sorry for rambling on. I think if I told my friends how we are feeling they'd think we were nuts. It seems crazy as we have two wonderful teenagers and we are happy but theres a huge hole in our lives this morning.

No I don't think so. I'm the same. When you are very connected with your pets & spend so much time each day with them they take up a huge place in your heart & daily life they are bound to leave a gaping hole. Thinking of you both xx

I’m so very sorry for your loss. We have a section on the forum called Rainbow Bridge, where we can post tributes to our lost pets either at the time, or later, whenever we feel the need. That’s not to say that anyone is expected to post there, just if it feels helpful. Sending you hugs x

Dear Novaswift,
I am so thankful for the members of this forum. , and I am sure you already know why. In addition to a lot of good information, they are very supportive when we need it most.
Most, if not all, of the members of this forum have experienced rude comments from family, friends or co-workers about the level of care and the feelings we have for our small pets. Most of those same persons would not dare to say something negative about giving such care to a more traditional pet; yet they do not hesitate to criticize us for investing our time, money, and feelings in our beloved bunnies. Like others, the last thing I want when my beloved pet is ill or has passed away is to have someone tell me 'it (not even he/she/name of pet) is just a rabbit/bunny'. It used to make me angry to hear these words. Now I feel sorry for them because they have never been privileged to be loved by these awesome creatures.

May you find comfort in knowing your new RU friends understand the pain you are feeling at the loss of Lola. Hugs.

I think every creature - a child, a grandpa, a neighbour, a horse, a bear, a rabbit, an orchid, a rose, a hazel tree ... - that awakes our love and loves in return, that enriches our lives and allows us to share theirs is a treasure beyond compare and worth every second, every penny, every smile, every tear. It is what life is about. Who doesn't understand that deserves our pity. Let them wash their expensive cars while we fuss over our long eared friends. And when they feel lonely, sometimes in the deep of the night, they can talk to their engine while we reach for a small heart beating under soft, warm fur.

I think every creature - a child, a grandpa, a neighbour, a horse, a bear, a rabbit, an orchid, a rose, a hazel tree ... - that awakes our love and loves in return, that enriches our lives and allows us to share theirs is a treasure beyond compare and worth every second, every penny, every smile, every tear. It is what life is about. Who doesn't understand that deserves our pity. Let them wash their expensive cars while we fuss over our long eared friends. And when they feel lonely, sometimes in the deep of the night, they can talk to their engine while we reach for a small heart beating under soft, warm fur.

:love: :love: :love: :love:

Its only been 48 hours since Lola passed and I'm comforted by everyones kindness on this forum . To be honest anyone I've spoken to has been very understanding (even at work) and all have mentioned how a pet can get under your skin. My neighbours are keen dog owners and have suffered loss so they have been very supportive.
Its my first experience of this and to be honest I've been deeply affected by this. How long it will take to get back to normal I'm unsure. Both my wife and I feel as though our stomachs are in knots. Im sure most of the users on here have had similar feelings many times. As I said before time will heal, maybe even another bunny but for now I can't even think of one in Lola's place

Its only been 48 hours since Lola passed and I'm comforted by everyones kindness on this forum . To be honest anyone I've spoken to has been very understanding (even at work) and all have mentioned how a pet can get under your skin. My neighbours are keen dog owners and have suffered loss so they have been very supportive.
Its my first experience of this and to be honest I've been deeply affected by this. How long it will take to get back to normal I'm unsure. Both my wife and I feel as though our stomachs are in knots. Im sure most of the users on here have had similar feelings many times. As I said before time will heal, maybe even another bunny but for now I can't even think of one in Lola's place
I completely understand :( it's so heartbreaking and tough losing animals, sometimes I feel like I set myself up for heartbreak by having them, but I also couldn't imagine my life without them.

After I lost my last dog.. Maybe 6-7 years ago now, I have not been able to have one since, just hasn't felt right, which was different to before, having lots. I think I might nearly be ready again but it's taken a long time. Was only 2 years ago I got bunnies again (after a 6 year gap) and few months later a 3rd bun, I had her for about 7 months and I lost her, was heartbroken all over again. For me to get my white rabbits it took them to need saving for me to decide it was right again, I never knew until the moment I saw them that I was ready again. I think it can vary so much - but I'm sending you and your wife lots of hugs, we all know how tough this is :( take care x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Time does heal, when my first house rabbit, Boots, died, I was devastated. At first I said I couldn’t have another rabbit, but I fairly soon decided that having another wouldn’t mean I was replacing him, no bunny could ever do that, and I still miss him now, but Frosty was a great positive influence in my life when I needed it, and I wouldn’t be without him now (and his new bunny wife Fern)

I hope eventually you will decide you can have a bunny in your life again.

Back