• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2011 Foraging

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Last years thread is 43 pages long :shock: So prehaps we could do with a newish one :lol:

What are you all hoping to get this year?
Could those experts prehaps post photos of bunny safe foods (with thier names) so we can work out what we are picking? Pretty please :love:

Im deffinatly getting some brambles, Ive already started picking those! Im growing some Calendula to dry, I think I will grow some Plaintain and Dandys too.
Im hoping for some more insperation ;)

Definitely going to stalk this thread so I know what to look for. I've never been foraging before (never had a bun to forage for before! :lol:)

Pictures would be a great help :)

its best to only forage in your own gardens or others or things that are high enough not to have doggys or cats p on them, things like vetch (riverside usually) and willow from trees locally brambles etc are all good forage foods x

its best to only forage in your own gardens or others or things that are high enough not to have doggys or cats p on them, things like vetch (riverside usually) and willow from trees locally brambles etc are all good forage foods x

Yes 2 or 3ft up is the best hight to start foraging from :thumb:

What is Vetch :?

I'm looking forward to starting this. I'm going to forage brambles, plantain, dandies and perhaps hawthorn this year and grow edible flowers and herbs to dry also.

I'm looking forward to starting this. I'm going to forage brambles, plantain, dandies and perhaps hawthorn this year and grow edible flowers and herbs to dry also.

What flowers are you planning on? There's some pretty blue ones in one of the bags of forage I have brought, must find out what those are!

With calendula is that just the petals or leaves too?

definitely the whole plant. have one in my garden, it's evergreen it seems, have to put a washing bowl over it when the buns are out, Pat makes a beeline for it! Has very pretty flowers which bees and bugs love too.

I've got brambles in my garden too, which is fab, so definitely culturing some of those as controlled as I can!

all parts of the violet can be fed
i'll be growing about 20-25 different varieties - i already have some some sprouting in the conservatory
sorry no pics til they grow

calendula is an annual plant - i've not heard of an evergreen/perennial calendula?
campanula keeps it's leaves through winter - i'm about to list some in ebay shop

I'm already in full swing with my bun. He's mainly on Dandelions & Brambles with added nettle tops, sourcress, mayweed (looks just like chamomile but not scented) very young dock leaves (don't use when it starts a flower spike).

[For Humans ONLY NEVER for bunnies I foraged some wild chives- strong garlic flavour & delicious with a mushroom cream sauce in a baked potato :love:]

The plantains aren't doing much yet down here.

How peculiar, I was just going to start a thread like this!

I'm still/already harvesting stuff - quite surprised as I thought it would stop in winter, but it didn't, except for when there was snow on the ground.

I've been getting evergreen herbs, (sage, thyme, rosemary, lavender, oregano), dandelion, kale, twigs of vine and rose, chickweed, looooads of kale, and occasional strawberry and blackberry leaves. I've still got dried stuff from last year too.

Later on there will be rose and apple leaves, vine leaves, carrot tops, basil, mint, lemon balm, hawthorn, coriander, plantain, rocket, raspberry leaves, nasturtiums.

I've just ordered the seeds for my allotment this year and will be growing camomile and fenugreek as well as all the usual things. I could make my own fenugreek crunchies :lol:

Last edited:
I'm doing a potted herb garden for this year. Have lavender, rosemary, chamomile, dill, *checks book* coriander, chives (for me!! don't panic!) and thyme plants already. Want an echinacea plant and a marshmallow plant (can someone confirm if marshmallow is ok for buns?) as well as parsley, basil, tarragon and sage. Was planning on some edible flowers but might leave that this year and do next year. Oh and lemon balm and mint in heeuge planters is doing well.

And dandys and plantain off the lotty. Have also done two large trays of bunny weeds from seed for them. Also going to try rocket this year for eating so buns will inevitably get some of that. We always get lots of goosegrass in our garden so they'll have that too.

Oh and bramble leaves off the lotty too when it needs pruning.

I'm doing a potted herb garden for this year. Have lavender, rosemary, chamomile, dill, *checks book* coriander, chives (for me!! don't panic!) and thyme plants already. Want an echinacea plant and a marshmallow plant (can someone confirm if marshmallow is ok for buns?) as well as parsley, basil, tarragon and sage. Was planning on some edible flowers but might leave that this year and do next year. Oh and lemon balm and mint in heeuge planters is doing well.

And dandys and plantain off the lotty. Have also done two large trays of bunny weeds from seed for them. Also going to try rocket this year for eating so buns will inevitably get some of that. We always get lots of goosegrass in our garden so they'll have that too.

Oh and bramble leaves off the lotty too when it needs pruning.

yes marsh mallow is edible

Back