• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inedible litter tray mat?

frannabey

New Kit
After having my bunny for 6 months now she has started to become a little nibbler and has started to chew everything!!! She is a free roam bunny and has the whole flat to go around. She is litter trained and has a litter tray in the corner of my lounge which use to have a bathroom mat underneath to protect my carpet from hay/wee however she started to chew that and i had to take it away from her. I then decided to get another bath mat but a clear plastic on but she went and chewed that too and had to remove it immediately. I then bought a cat litter tray mat that is more thicker but still made of some sort of plastic. At first she didnt touch it for weeks but now she has started to chew it again!!! She's also decided to have a go at the carpet underneath the mat! I need a mat underneath to protect my carpet and to stop the litter (hay) spreading everywhere. Can anyone suggest or show me something i can buy which is suitable for my rabbit and something that she cannot chew through? I was thinking of a baking tray but there arent any big enough, im looking for something which is around 80cm x 50 cm as her litter tray is quite large!

After having my bunny for 6 months now she has started to become a little nibbler and has started to chew everything!!! She is a free roam bunny and has the whole flat to go around. She is litter trained and has a litter tray in the corner of my lounge which use to have a bathroom mat underneath to protect my carpet from hay/wee however she started to chew that and i had to take it away from her. I then decided to get another bath mat but a clear plastic on but she went and chewed that too and had to remove it immediately. I then bought a cat litter tray mat that is more thicker but still made of some sort of plastic. At first she didnt touch it for weeks but now she has started to chew it again!!! She's also decided to have a go at the carpet underneath the mat! I need a mat underneath to protect my carpet and to stop the litter (hay) spreading everywhere. Can anyone suggest or show me something i can buy which is suitable for my rabbit and something that she cannot chew through? I was thinking of a baking tray but there arent any big enough, im looking for something which is around 80cm x 50 cm as her litter tray is quite large!

What about using a hooded litter tray, something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Catit-Jumbo-Hooded-Cat-Pan/dp/B0057XF6U4?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

Is Bunny spayed ? If not this could be playing a part in why she has become more destructive. At 6 months of age she will be at puberty. Spaying her may reduce her destructive behaviour and it will protect her against uterine infections and cancer when she is older. It would also make it easier to bond her with a Bunny friend. If at all possible it is usually better for Bunnies to have a friend of their own kind.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-companionship/

Also, incase you were not aware all Bunnies require annual vaccinations too, even House Rabbits

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

Last edited:
A lot of us use the underbed storage boxes. I put newspaper at the bottom and top up with hay. Does she have enough hay to keep her occupied. As you know, rabbits are grazing animals so they need to be chewing. I agree she is at an age when she will be thinking of nesting and babies so really would be more settled if spayed. Rabbits also like a close bond with another rabbit.

Some places online sell replacement dog crate trays in various sizes. They tend to be plastic, but should last longer than bath mats and can be turned round and replaced as needed. Garden centres may also have something suitable eg growbag trays.

The other thing as recommended by others above, is to use a higher sided 'tray' for the hay, or a covered one with a hole in the end to access it.

Often rabbits will destroy almost any material you put down if it is in their territory and they aren’t happy with it. I’d therefore recommend getting a pet safe mat which she can chew and it won’t hard her. Rosewood do boredom breaker seagrass mats which are great for rabbits to dig and chew on so maybe look into getting a couple of them. However, they are fairly small and so if you want a larger alternative to cover more of the floor then look into alternatives such as willow mats or sisal mats. I think 101bunnies.com do pretty large seagrass/sisal mats so maybe check out them. Also, is she spayed? Unspayed female’s tend to be more destructive and territorial, not to mention that it’s vital for their health to get them done as by the age of 5, female rabbits have an 80% chance of uterine cancer which is often fatal.

Just an update to everyone responding :)

My bunny has already had a litter of bunnies when she was younger and then was spayed around 1 and a half years old. She is up to date with all her injections and i already use a cat litter tray which has a top on. She also has many things to chew on already, like rosewood mats and lots of toys.

Hi another update:
I recently went to ikea and was able to purchase the lid of a storage box for only £4! It is hard sturdy plastic and has a little curve around the edges. So far she has not attempted to chew it and it has kept all the hay from spreading everywhere (the bits that fall out her litter box). It is really easy to clean too :) Thank you for all the suggestions, i really appreciate it.

I hope this is the answer now. All mine love to sit in their litter trays munching on their hay. :thumb:

Back