• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

****EMERGENCY, Cookie is making weird noises

KCG

Warren Veteran
Cookie sounded like this a few times. What does it mean?

Now we came to the vet, they took the cookie, I'm waiting. Also, he suddenly started hiding in the corner and didn't eat his favorite treat. What happened to my son??? :cry:

https://streamable.com/2syr37

Last edited:
Looks and sounds as though he has some discomfort in his throat. Given his eye problem I suspect he has the start of an upper respiratory tract infection. Obviously I can’t be certain just looking at a video. But pus coming from the nasolacrimal duct and now signs of discomfort in his throat an URTI seems likely. Hope the Vet will prescribe antibiotics if infection is confirmed.

Looks and sounds as though he has some discomfort in his throat. Given his eye problem I suspect he has the start of an upper respiratory tract infection. Obviously I can’t be certain just looking at a video. But pus coming from the nasolacrimal duct and now signs of discomfort in his throat an URTI seems likely. Hope the Vet will prescribe antibiotics if infection is confirmed.

Yes Jane, you are right. Now we're home, Cookie has a lung infection. :( The vet gave antibiotics, again you got it at one glance. I told my husband about you, even he says "don't you lose Jane". Even my husband wonders what you're going to say :D

I wonder something. What is the relationship between eye and lung infection?

Last edited:
Poor Cookie :( I hope the antibiotics start to work, I'd be very annoyed at my vet that it got to this point though because lack of treatment for the original issue :( I hope the antibiotics work quickly and he's feeling much better soon x

Yes Jane, you are right. Now we're home, Cookie has a lung infection. :( The vet gave antibiotics, again you got it at one glance. I told my husband about you, even he says "don't you lose Jane". Even my husband wonders what you're going to say :D

I wonder something. What is the relationship between eye and lung infection?

It is not exactly that the eye infection has caused the lung infection but that the two problems are symptoms of an assault by the.same bacteria, usually although not always Pasteurella. One of my Bunnies recently developed a gunky eye, a gunky ear and a snotty nose. All symptoms of the same pathogen. She is already a lot better after just 4 days on antibiotics, ear drops and eye drops. Hopefully Cookie will show signs of improvement after 3-4 days on antibiotics, although the treatment is usually needed for at least 10 days.

Poor Cookie :( I hope the antibiotics start to work, I'd be very annoyed at my vet that it got to this point though because lack of treatment for the original issue :( I hope the antibiotics work quickly and he's feeling much better soon x

It is not exactly that the eye infection has caused the lung infection but that the two problems are symptoms of an assault by the.same bacteria, usually although not always Pasteurella. One of my Bunnies recently developed a gunky eye, a gunky ear and a snotty nose. All symptoms of the same pathogen. She is already a lot better after just 4 days on antibiotics, ear drops and eye drops. Hopefully Cookie will show signs of improvement after 3-4 days on antibiotics, although the treatment is usually needed for at least 10 days.

Thee vet has incurred my wrath, I'm still so angry. Because 10 days ago I noticed a slight sneeze so I took him to the vet and she told me it was nothing. 3 days later something white appeared in Cookie's eyes and the vet said it was an eye duct blockage. 10 days later my child has a lung infection. I'm still so angry.

Now the vet only gave oral antibiotics, he said he doesn't need treatment for his eye. Jane do you think I should use fusidic acid for Cookie you said? The vet is not currently treating Cookie's eye. Should I use medicine for eyes and ears myself? I feel like the vet can't cure Cookie and there is no higher vet in Turkey than this, think disgrace.

Thee vet has incurred my wrath, I'm still so angry. Because 10 days ago I noticed a slight sneeze so I took him to the vet and she told me it was nothing. 3 days later something white appeared in Cookie's eyes and the vet said it was an eye duct blockage. 10 days later my child has a lung infection. I'm still so angry.

Now the vet only gave oral antibiotics, he said he doesn't need treatment for his eye. Jane do you think I should use fusidic acid for Cookie you said? The vet is not currently treating Cookie's eye. Should I use medicine for eyes and ears myself? I feel like the vet can't cure Cookie and there is no higher vet in Turkey than this, think disgrace.
That's a tricky situation. Have you pushed the vet for treatment for his eyes? I wouldn't be happy to use something if the vet hasn't okayed it, but I'd probably corner them into covering the eye too, or explaining why it's not necessary.. I mean maybe the oral antibiotics will fix the eye infection too? Idk! Hopefully Jane can make a prediction on that one [emoji38]

Either way hopefully these antibiotics will kick in fast and he'll feel more comfortable very soon

That's a tricky situation. Have you pushed the vet for treatment for his eyes? I wouldn't be happy to use something if the vet hasn't okayed it, but I'd probably corner them into covering the eye too, or explaining why it's not necessary.. I mean maybe the oral antibiotics will fix the eye infection too? Idk! Hopefully Jane can make a prediction on that one [emoji38]

Either way hopefully these antibiotics will kick in fast and he'll feel more comfortable very soon

My angry side is pretty harsh, the vet got it pretty well. If anything happens to my son I will drag them in court. The vet got to know my angry side, which I think explains it pretty well. I asked everything but the problem is that even the best veterinarian in Turkey has less knowledge than the forum. I'm disgraced with my money. Maybe I'm paying the most expensive vet fee in Turkey, the only reason I do this is because they are more experienced with rodents, but the result is obvious, they don't know anything. This is not a joke I'm saying, normally veterinary fees are 40 TL in normal animal hospitals or clinics, I only pay 200 TL for examination. The only reason I do this is because Cookie has the best rodent vet, yet we still crawl. I swear now I want to move to Europe for Cookie too. My son will definitely be more comfortable there.

I'm not sure if oral antibiotics alone are enough, now I'm waiting for an answer from jane. I will also use fusidic acid eye drops accordingly.

In the U.K. Fusidic Acid eye treatment can only be obtained with a Veterinary Prescription, I suspect the same will apply in Turkey. So the Vet would still need to approve it.

The oral antibiotics might be enough to address the eye infection too, but it would be better if an eye treatment was given too. He will not need ear drops if he does not have an ear infection.

Try bathing his eyes with cooled black tea every day. Clearing any build up of discharge will be helpful and black tea has mild antibacterial properties.

In the absence of a nebuliser it could help to put Cookie into the bathroom after running a hot shower to make the room steam up. Steam will help to get the mucus in his respiratory tract to clear out. He might sneeze a lot in a steamy room, but this is good if it is shifting mucus out of his nose.

I'm sorry to hear little Cookie is still unwell. I hope the antibiotics work & clear his infection quickly

In the U.K. Fusidic Acid eye treatment can only be obtained with a Veterinary Prescription, I suspect the same will apply in Turkey. So the Vet would still need to approve it.

The oral antibiotics might be enough to address the eye infection too, but it would be better if an eye treatment was given too. He will not need ear drops if he does not have an ear infection.

Try bathing his eyes with cooled black tea every day. Clearing any build up of discharge will be helpful and black tea has mild antibacterial properties.

In the absence of a nebuliser it could help to put Cookie into the bathroom after running a hot shower to make the room steam up. Steam will help to get the mucus in his respiratory tract to clear out. He might sneeze a lot in a steamy room, but this is good if it is shifting mucus out of his nose.

Thank you so much. This information is very useful for me.

The veterinarian said that there was no redness, discharge, and veins in Cookie's eye. But yesterday a white patch formed in his left eye. Do you think I should use fusidic acid or wait? Also the vet told me that this antibiotic will help him.

Thank you so much. This information is very useful for me.

The veterinarian said that there was no redness, discharge, and veins in Cookie's eye. But yesterday a white patch formed in his left eye. Do you think I should use fusidic acid or wait? Also the vet told me that this antibiotic will help him.

I am not a Vet so I cannot advise you to use a prescription medication on Cookie. Hopefully the antibiotics will get on top of the infection. Try the eye bathing with black tea, it won’t do any harm :)

I am not a Vet so I cannot advise you to use a prescription medication on Cookie. Hopefully the antibiotics will get on top of the infection. Try the eye bathing with black tea, it won’t do any harm :)

Ok, I will try this. Also, the vet said that Cookie's nose is not stuffy. Cookie's infection seems to be in its infancy.

Jane, Also, the vet x-ray Cookie and said he had a minor infection in his lungs. So Cookie has a lower respiratory tract infection, right? Cookie is not suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection. :cry:
Can you give some information about lower respiratory tract infection?

Last edited:
Also, where did Cookie get this germ? No other animals in the house, I clean his room and litter box every day. How Cookie got infected?

Many germs are all around us (and in or on us) all the time and cause no issues. Often it's when something makes us more vulnerable that they get a hold and cause an infection. In Cookie's case, it could, for instance, be the hot weather you have had recently, plus he's had a few trips to the vet which may have stressed him a bit and reduced his immune system.

Many germs are all around us (and in or on us) all the time and cause no issues. Often it's when something makes us more vulnerable that they get a hold and cause an infection. In Cookie's case, it could, for instance, be the hot weather you have had recently, plus he's had a few trips to the vet which may have stressed him a bit and reduced his immune system.

that makes sense. It was really hot until last week, we saw 40-50 degrees. Immunity may be weakened because of this :(

Like humans, animals can carry bacteria with no symptoms until something causes triggers symptoms.

Sending tons of vibes for you and cookie.

Back