• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chasing and fur-pulling

OliveTree

Warren Scout
Benji and Phoebe have been in their permanent accommodation since Tuesday morning (but a restricted space - about 8’ x 4’, half of which is their playhouse). I thought things were going well, but this morning when I went to give them their pellets, Benji started chasing Phoebe and I think he pulled out some fur. Things seemed to calm down once they’d had their pellets and some fresh hay, but I’m worried about what this means. Any ideas please?

Chasing and fur pulling is common in early bonding, especially at pellet o’clock! It once happened to me with an established pair I’d just brought home from rescue, at pellet time. I’d suggest scatter feeding pellets if you don’t already. I scatter fed pellets and it didn’t happen again. In fact I have always scatter fed since. Although I no longer feed pellets, mine have hay,forage, apple branches and fibafirst sticks.

Benji and Phoebe have been in their permanent accommodation since Tuesday morning (but a restricted space - about 8’ x 4’, half of which is their playhouse). I thought things were going well, but this morning when I went to give them their pellets, Benji started chasing Phoebe and I think he pulled out some fur. Things seemed to calm down once they’d had their pellets and some fresh hay, but I’m worried about what this means. Any ideas please?

Are you scatter feeding pellets or giving them in a bowl. If the latter, try scatter feeding. What you are seeing is typical food possessiveness, scatter feeding reduces this. Although top Bunny may always be bossy over food. Always put food nearest the top Bunny first and always acknowledge top Bunny’s presence first. If you respect their hierarchy, however much you may want to offer support to the under- Bunny, the dominant Bunny will feel less need to keep asserting his/her superiority x:D

I wouldn't wory if it's just a bit of fur pulling and neither rabbit is too bothered by it. Just keep an eye on them. Its early days. Things should calm down over time.

Thank you! I was worried someone was going to say I need to separate them and start again!

I used to scatter-feed when we just had Benji, but when we tried with the two of them, he just shoved Phoebe out of the way and got most of the pellets, so I’ve moved to trying to feed them separately (as in, at the same time but with a few feet between them!). I could try again though and see what happens.

I’m interested that you no longer give pellets. It would probably make life easier not to give them!

Are you scatter feeding pellets or giving them in a bowl. If the latter, try scatter feeding. What you are seeing is typical food possessiveness, scatter feeding reduces this. Although top Bunny may always be bossy over food. Always put food nearest the top Bunny first and always acknowledge top Bunny’s presence first. If you respect their hierarchy, however much you may want to offer support to the under- Bunny, the dominant Bunny will feel less need to keep asserting his/her superiority x:D

I’m reassured to hear that this is normal! We probably do make more of a fuss of under-bunny so we can change that too.

I wouldn't wory if it's just a bit of fur pulling and neither rabbit is too bothered by it. Just keep an eye on them. Its early days. Things should calm down over time.

Thank you - this is reassuring. Phoebe doesn’t seem too bothered really - she’s not staying away from him or anything like that.

I was thinking of increasing their enclosure size this weekend, but I think I’ll hold off for a bit longer for now.

I had the opposite problem: when I tried to scatter feed or similar with Lopsy and Aboleth, Aboleth humped Lopsy until he left the area :( But they were always fine with a double cat dish :) Finding the right balance can be an ongoing journey!

I had the opposite problem: when I tried to scatter feed or similar with Lopsy and Aboleth, Aboleth humped Lopsy until he left the area :( But they were always fine with a double cat dish :) Finding the right balance can be an ongoing journey!

Thank you. I think you’re right - it’s going to be a question of finding the right balance [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you - this is reassuring. Phoebe doesn’t seem too bothered really - she’s not staying away from him or anything like that.

I was thinking of increasing their enclosure size this weekend, but I think I’ll hold off for a bit longer for now.

I think it all sounds fine :) Maybe give them a few more days before increasing the area. You're over the worst bits :)

I think it all sounds fine :) Maybe give them a few more days before increasing the area. You're over the worst bits :)

Thank you. I’m glad you think I’m over the worst bits - I think I’ve been pretty lucky with how things have been, but it’s still be quite a draining experience. I don’t know how I’d have managed without you all!

Back