• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye infection

faisel

Young Bun
Hello, my 8 year old rabbit has white discharge from his eye. He is prone to eye infections as he has a lot of issues with his teeth. He had a dental and tear duct flush recently so I am confident these are not the cause of his discharge. Whenever he has an eye infection he is given antibiotic drops. I already have an opened tube. Is it okay to use this and treat him myself or should I go back to the vet? He is eating and drinking as normal and acting as normal. Thank you for anybody who replies to this.

Hello, my 8 year old rabbit has white discharge from his eye. He is prone to eye infections as he has a lot of issues with his teeth. He had a dental and tear duct flush recently so I am confident these are not the cause of his discharge. Whenever he has an eye infection he is given antibiotic drops. I already have an opened tube. Is it okay to use this and treat him myself or should I go back to the vet? He is eating and drinking as normal and acting as normal. Thank you for anybody who replies to this.

Assuming it is Isathal then if the tube was opened within the last 4 weeks and stored appropriately it should be OK to use

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-449890

If it has been opened for longer then I would not use it

I would want a Vet to examine the Rabbit to make sure that there is no evidence of a corneal ulcer.

Thank you for your reply. That is the tube I have. It was unopened. Thank you for your help.

Thank you for your reply. That is the tube I have. It was unopened. Thank you for your help.

You are welcome. You could also bathe the eye with cooled boiled water. Doing so will help remove the gunk from the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct). If there is no improvement after 48 hours of treatment then another Vet check would be necessary.

That is a great idea. I will do that. I will call the vet on Monday. Thank you very much for your help.

Hi there :wave:

In your circumstances I normally ring the vet - even if the tube I have is already opened and part used. It's possible to use it if you're careful - my vet has advised this :D

I hope the eye clears up. I often use cooled boiled water and a cotton pad to clean away the discharge. Sometimes camomile tea. You can also add a pinch of salt (dissolved) to the water, as this acts as an antiseptic :D

Back