• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice with bonding bunnies please!!!

rhikaypee

New Kit
Hi guys! I'm an experienced rabbit owner but I'm confused about what's happening with the current bond I'm attempting.

I've had my buck Benjamin for about 4 years. He's neutered.

I'm bonding him with a new bunny, she's 2 and also neutered.

The thing is, Benjamin is showing signs I'd expect from an unneutered bun? He's honking whilst mounting her. He's releasing a very musky pheromone and he is spraying.

Any advice really appreciated

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

4d46bca668104eba984db6b045150fff.jpg
4e63a09e993dd02e099233974576ea2b.jpg
13b92f3f8280114ecab64325acb7ebab.jpg

Benjamin is the smaller bun. She is the bigger bun

Humping is normal, especially during early bonding. they look relaxed and happy together in the other pics :thumb:

In the bonding sticky there is a great video of a trio bond by mischief and tinkers mum, it really illustrates bonding behaviour well.

Humping is normal, especially during early bonding. they look relaxed and happy together in the other pics :thumb:

In the bonding sticky there is a great video of a trio bond by mischief and tinkers mum, it really illustrates bonding behaviour well.
Thank you! I understand that humping is normal but is the honking and spraying normal?

Hi guys! I'm an experienced rabbit owner but I'm confused about what's happening with the current bond I'm attempting.

I've had my buck Benjamin for about 4 years. He's neutered.

I'm bonding him with a new bunny, she's 2 and also neutered.

The thing is, Benjamin is showing signs I'd expect from an unneutered bun? He's honking whilst mounting her. He's releasing a very musky pheromone and he is spraying.

Any advice really appreciated

Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:

Everything you describe is perfectly normal :D

Honking, humping, spraying, buzzing ..... even in an unneutered male. It not only indicates his attraction to the other rabbit, but also a desire to be 'in charge'.

You may find that at times, she is the one humping him!

Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:

Everything you describe is perfectly normal :D

Honking, humping, spraying, buzzing ..... even in an unneutered male. It not only indicates his attraction to the other rabbit, but also a desire to be 'in charge'.

You may find that at times, she is the one humping him!
Ah thank you. She just seems to be getting ****** off with him so far but this is a new home for her so I guess only time will tell!

Thank you for your help x

Hello and welcome. How long have they been together? They look like a well matched pair!
Hi. Thank you!
This is their second day of dating them. They've been on about 5 dates now. I'm going to leave them together tonight with a partition between them. :)

06d0bdc5f0e5ef7e9e10ab024d0018a2.jpg

The bunnies had their sleepover last night and this happened!!! I'm so happy!

(Side note: the girlie has pee'd everywhere. She pee'd everywhere when she was on her own too. I know she was rescued from a petting farm where she lived in a barn so she likely didn't have to be litter trained. She was spayed around 6 weeks ago. Any tips on fast tracking her training?)

Using big litter trays filled with hay is encouraging. Also, if your male bunny is litter trained she hopefully will follow suit. Some put the wet paper, poohs into the litter tray in the hopes she will get the idea. You could try this. Don't put anything soft down like blankets as they tend to wee on this sort of thing.

Back