• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just A Little Money Saving

Nina_Sunset

Young Bun
If any of you have rabbits... as I'm sure you do, here's something you can feed them. Whether you have 1 or 20 rabbits, this bag of food will do you good. You can get the bag at a store called Tractor Supply. It's a 50lb plain pellet bag for 18.99. I have only one rabbit and I still have plenty of these pellets left over and it's been six or seven months now and the pellets are still fresh. The bag is called Purina Show. It is in a blue bag with a large picture of a black and white rabbit on it. It should be in the back of the store where the horse and pig and other livestock feed is at. Trust me, this is a good brand and your rabbits will love it, it will last a long long time.

(I tried feeding my rabbit a different more expensive brand and she refused to eat it. I had ran out of the plan pellets the lady gave me when I bought my rabbit so I was forced to go and by the plain pellets because I couldn't get my rabbit to eat the more expensive brand. ---Oxbow: 5lb for 12$---)

It looks like it is only available in the US. The fibre content isn't the best but there is a whole lot worse feeds out there.

If you've got multiple rabbits then some of the common UK brands offer big bags too. You do have to watch the expiry date though, it would take a medium size rabbit over a year to go though that much food!

Hay is the other saving - agricultural/farm shops often sell by the bale which is a lot cheaper than pet shop bags :)

If you've got multiple rabbits then some of the common UK brands offer big bags too. You do have to watch the expiry date though, it would take a medium size rabbit over a year to go though that much food!

Hay is the other saving - agricultural/farm shops often sell by the bale which is a lot cheaper than pet shop bags :)

I've told my dad about the hay bale and he said that it'll just spoil... then again I do have a Dwarf bunny. Maybe they sale bales half the size of a regular sized one? Like a mini hay bale, I suppose.

I've told my dad about the hay bale and he said that it'll just spoil... then again I do have a Dwarf bunny. Maybe they sale bales half the size of a regular sized one? Like a mini hay bale, I suppose.

I agree with your dad. I'm sure it is worth it if you have multiple rabbits, as Tamsin said about the pellets. I only have 2 rabbits but get through a lot of hay (via internet), whereas they only have 2 eggcupfuls of pellets between them a day so a small bag lasts ages and remains fresh in an airtight container.

Nah, hay will keep well for ages, at least a year as long as it's stored properly. And you'll certainly go through a lot more hay than that in a year so buying bales would save money. :)

There are places that sell smaller bales though if you'd prefer, I'm pretty sure Tractor Supply sells ones that are smaller than standard size.

Hay is designed to last for a year. That's why farmers use it. Pet shop hay is the same stuff - cut and dried at the same time - but in smaller bags.

If it is stored properly, there will be no problems with spoilage. It needs to be somewhere cool and dry - off the floor and not wrapped in plastic where it will sweat and go mouldy. A dry shed or wheely bin in a cool corner is ideal for a bale.

Similarly, the dry food should be kept in appropriate containers. An open sack can get contaminated or damp and then should not be used. I would suggest keeping it for, say, no more than 3 months (depending on the use by date), and in an airtight container (eg biscuit tin or ice cream tub) once the bag has been opened.

Smaller bags (or containers) that get used more quickly have less chance of spoiling / going off at home.

I was thinking of storing my hay in a wheelie bin/plastic dustbin
in garage, rather than cardboard box. Would I need to drill holes in it to allow some air?

in garage, rather than cardboard box. Would I need to drill holes in it to allow some air?

I just use standard wheely bins outside, out of direct sun. I use hay daily, so the bins are frequently opened. The hay keeps really well as long as it doesn't sweat - which only happens if it gets warm in the sun. If it is inside in a dry garage, you could leave the lid slightly propped up eg a piece of wood across under the lid.

I store mine in a large plastic box in the garage. Works fine :) we have mices in the garage so they could chew through cardboard.

I just use standard wheely bins outside, out of direct sun. I use hay daily, so the bins are frequently opened. The hay keeps really well as long as it doesn't sweat - which only happens if it gets warm in the sun. If it is inside in a dry garage, you could leave the lid slightly propped up eg a piece of wood across under the lid.

I hadn't even thought of keeping it outside - thank you. It would be much more convenient if I could find a place where it would be out of the sun. Otherwise I will keep in garage but do as you suggest with the propping open slightly.

You should be able to tell if a bale has gone moldy shouldn't you? Like by scent or sight? Because I'm a bit paranoid about feeding an animal bad food without realizing it, particularly moldy food... I can't bring myself to store hay outside or even in one of our vans, only in the garage or a shed.

Back