• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Zeus's corgi friend

cheriseru

Alpha Buck
Thought I'd explain this before anyone gets upset reading about his corgi friend on my bonding post without all the info [emoji4]
The building I live in has a big grassy area out front that when it was warmer I would take Zeus to. My friend who also lives in the building has a corgi who they take on the grass as well. The corgi is a sweetie! Also a neutered boy [emoji39]

So it happened the one day I was out with Zeus and my friend came out, dog was on a leash and so was Zeus. My friend cautiously came over to say hi. The dog wasn't very fussed with Zeus and Zeus wasn't very fussed. We were about 2m from each other and they had seen each other and sniffed in the direction. This happened a few different times until the one day Zeus actually went bounding over to the dog, they didn't really bother much other than a bit of sniffing and the dog licking Zeus's ear. Obviously we kept a super close eye and let Zeus do all the going closer or not.

Skip forward to my friend coming by mine with the dog on her way out, she kept the dog on his leash and by her side but Zeus went right over to the dog and groomed him a bit then did his loaf head lowered position asking for rubs(he does this to me) and he started his happy teeth grinding when the dog licked his head. My friend has been over once or twice more and Zeus always goes up to the dog asking for grooming and then after a bit going off to one of his sploof spots.

So haven't forced it on him and this all happened over just more than a month time period. Sadly only have one photo as we always keep our hands free and ready to step in if either shows any unhappy body language :)
ba28f3fd3e83e941a17f33c3853497cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of harnesses on Rabbits, but.each to their own :). In case you are not aware of it this is the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund’s opinion

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/clothes-harnesses-and-pushchairs/

Hope I have not caused offence by flagging this up :oops:

Hi Jane, in general I would definitely agree with you 100% however I think this case may be an exception. Zeus doesn't seem at all bothered by it and judging by cheriseru's post Zeus is getting some enrichment.
I am always extremely worried about dogs (& cats) interacting with rabbits but again, this circumstance seems to be an exception. great care and vigilance has been taken.
my remaining concerns with the situation would be another dog rushing over and also the risk of picking up disease from the public grass area.

I am not a fan of harnesses on Rabbits, but.each to their own :). In case you are not aware of it this is the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund’s opinion

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/clothes-harnesses-and-pushchairs/

Hope I have not caused offence by flagging this up :oops:

I’m the same too.

Hi Jane, in general I would definitely agree with you 100% however I think this case may be an exception. Zeus doesn't seem at all bothered by it and judging by cheriseru's post Zeus is getting some enrichment.
I am always extremely worried about dogs (& cats) interacting with rabbits but again, this circumstance seems to be an exception. great care and vigilance has been taken.
my remaining concerns with the situation would be another dog rushing over and also the risk of picking up disease from the public grass area.

I agree with this too. Sadly, dogs and cats are unpredictable and can react very differently when instincts kick in, with extremely tragic outcome possible :cry:

I agree with the harness hesitation but he really seems to love it. He doesn't mind the harness at all and as soon as we get on the grass he starts zooming and doing binkies. I keep a water bowl and his carrier and some blankets out in the area and I follow his lead on running around or resting/digging and when he goes into his carrier I bring him back up [emoji4]

The grassy area infront of the building is quite big and split down the middle by a path, the buildings dogs always go to the one side and I've chosen the other side for where I took him. I can also see that area from my flat the whole time and never see dogs on that side. The gardeners also don't use any chemicals at all, I checked with them and all they do once a month is cut the grass with a mower :) But I do the best meerkat impression when I've taken him down constantly scanning for dog/birds/people etc. The dog owners have also been really good and stay far away if they happen to be out when I've been and keep their dogs on their leashes, love the little animal community we've got going here :) even though still there's no way I'd drop my absolute vigilance when I'm out with him and I'd not let any other dog near him.

The corgi has been an exception because their owner is super vigilant and the corgi itself is such a passive relaxed dog, but even then still, he's never allowed off his leash near Zeus and the leash is always kept short tension so he's not able to dart. But again, even though they do seem to be friends we're not slacking in our attention.

I do feel a bit dumb that I didn't think of other animal bugs that can spread from the grass :( that I'm going to research and make sure I don't endanger Zeus in future :s

I agree with the harness hesitation but he really seems to love it. He doesn't mind the harness at all and as soon as we get on the grass he starts zooming and doing binkies. I keep a water bowl and his carrier and some blankets out in the area and I follow his lead on running around or resting/digging and when he goes into his carrier I bring him back up [emoji4]

The grassy area infront of the building is quite big and split down the middle by a path, the buildings dogs always go to the one side and I've chosen the other side for where I took him. I can also see that area from my flat the whole time and never see dogs on that side. The gardeners also don't use any chemicals at all, I checked with them and all they do once a month is cut the grass with a mower :) But I do the best meerkat impression when I've taken him down constantly scanning for dog/birds/people etc. The dog owners have also been really good and stay far away if they happen to be out when I've been and keep their dogs on their leashes, love the little animal community we've got going here :) even though still there's no way I'd drop my absolute vigilance when I'm out with him and I'd not let any other dog near him.

The corgi has been an exception because their owner is super vigilant and the corgi itself is such a passive relaxed dog, but even then still, he's never allowed off his leash near Zeus and the leash is always kept short tension so he's not able to dart. But again, even though they do seem to be friends we're not slacking in our attention.

I do feel a bit dumb that I didn't think of other animal bugs that can spread from the grass :( that I'm going to research and make sure I don't endanger Zeus in future :s

The primary infection risk that I would be concerned about would be wild birds, which can carry some nasty viruses.

The primary infection risk that I would be concerned about would be wild birds, which can carry some nasty viruses.
Thanks :) yea I've seen some crows and pigeons on that side so think I'm going to chat to my vet to see what I can do to prevent Zeus picking up any potential viruses:)

Back