• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding our Bunnies through this Corona Crisis

I had a look at the VetUK rabbit food ingredients and was surprised to see the main one listed is Soya bean hulls followed by Lucerne. I don't know how good this is but held off ordering some and fortunately PAH showed they had 4kg bags of rabbit food back in stock so ordered 7 bags. I normally order 3 x 10kg bags so it works out almost the same with free delivery. They all seem very happy with this food. I should receive my order by or before the 20th April. The VetUK guinea food seems ok and much cheaper than what I buy at the moment so I will bear this one in mind. As for greens, the local shop only sells the pointed cabbage which is ok but more like white than green. I am only going to the main store when I am absolutely desperate for something I can't buy locally. My next hay delivery comes on Saturday so no problem there.

We’re fine for bunny food here. I made a Hay Experts order just before this all happened so lots of treats and also two bags of food which I’ve only just started. Did get a Dust Free Hay order so have quite a bit of that stored.

My issue is getting newspapers for litter trays. I’ve started using less than usual but as I’m not going to work I’m not getting any new ones so working through my stockpile but it’s starting to get a bit low.

We’re fine for bunny food here. I made a Hay Experts order just before this all happened so lots of treats and also two bags of food which I’ve only just started. Did get a Dust Free Hay order so have quite a bit of that stored.

My issue is getting newspapers for litter trays. I’ve started using less than usual but as I’m not going to work I’m not getting any new ones so working through my stockpile but it’s starting to get a bit low.

Sorry, haven't read the whole thread yet, I normally get newspaper from my parents but can't do that at the moment. I've moved onto puppy pads for the litter trays which are working well and readily available online (and in stores if going out for essentials) here thankfully. Obviously much more pricey but may be an option?

Received my Bunny food 6 days earlier than they quoted. I have about 2 days left so I am very pleased!

Sorry, haven't read the whole thread yet, I normally get newspaper from my parents but can't do that at the moment. I've moved onto puppy pads for the litter trays which are working well and readily available online (and in stores if going out for essentials) here thankfully. Obviously much more pricey but may be an option?

Sorry only just seen this. Unfortunately Smudge has tried to eat puppy pads in the past, he was a lot younger than he is now but I wouldn’t trust him to not try again! Also Imogen seems to nibble anything and everything :lol:

I’ve just asked on a local Facebook group, no replies yet. Otherwise I might have to get some of those non clumping litter pellets things which I’ve used in the past but again bit concerned some-bun might try to eat them!

Growing veg from scraps - I've stuck some carrot ends in the ground a few days ago but never tried this before. Anyway thought the prospect having a home supply of celery & carrot leaves might be useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJuXpiEjdcc
I love doing stuff like this :D

If you get a basil plant from the supermarket, you can take cuttings, put them in water and like a week later you'll have insane roots, pot them up and they'll be way stronger and more amazing than the original sad supermarket plant :D it's so easy to do, and you can get so many plants from one teeny plant, and still keep the original plant if you want [emoji38]

Same with watercress, buy a bag of pre cut stuff in a supermarket, put a few in water, mad roots in days, then pot on, then it just spreads tbh and you can just keep trimming from it :D

With both, just make sure you change the water daily :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I love doing stuff like this :D

If you get a basil plant from the supermarket, you can take cuttings, put them in water and like a week later you'll have insane roots, pot them up and they'll be way stronger and more amazing than the original sad supermarket plant :D it's so easy to do, and you can get so many plants from one teeny plant, and still keep the original plant if you want [emoji38]

Same with watercress, buy a bag of pre cut stuff in a supermarket, put a few in water, mad roots in days, then pot on, then it just spreads tbh and you can just keep trimming from it :D

With both, just make sure you change the water daily :)

I love Watercress so shall try this. Never knew :roll:

I love Watercress so shall try this. Never knew :roll:
Yea it's super easy!

These were tiny bits from a salad bag, they get so big whilst growing the roots [emoji38]
35d75a766d3341051adf7bd035d499f3.jpg

Yea it's super easy!

These were tiny bits from a salad bag, they get so big whilst growing the roots [emoji38]
35d75a766d3341051adf7bd035d499f3.jpg

Wow! This will be fantastic once I get going with it as I can only get it at the main shop, not locally. Watercress is very good for you.

Growing veg from scraps - I've stuck some carrot ends in the ground a few days ago but never tried this before. Anyway thought the prospect having a home supply of celery & carrot leaves might be useful
I did it with celery but it needed watering more than once a day through Summer (this must have been 2013 or so) but overwatering makes it rot and underwatering kills the roots, and the 'ideal' is a pretty small area :lol:

I did it with celery but it needed watering more than once a day through Summer (this must have been 2013 or so) but overwatering makes it rot and underwatering kills the roots, and the 'ideal' is a pretty small area :lol:

Oh! Well I don't think I will bother with Celery then! :roll:

Back