• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Continental giamt and HMD

Any bun out there wirh any experience of HMD in continental giants please? Its not a deginite diagnosis, but an ultrasound tomorrow may confirm it. I am at my wit's end in fear. I didn't have the courage to ask the vet what the prognosis might be, if it is. She has seen me in tears too much this week.

Any bun out there wirh any experience of HMD in continental giants please? Its not a deginite diagnosis, but an ultrasound tomorrow may confirm it. I am at my wit's end in fear. I didn't have the courage to ask the vet what the prognosis might be, if it is. She has seen me in tears too much this week.

Hepatic Microvascular Dysplasia ?

The vet said it could be an inflammation in his heart membrane. I am sure she called it HMD. But then I am in such a state.

Could she have said HCM - 'Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy' ? This is when the wall of the heart is thickened.

Or Myocarditis which is inflammation of the Heart Muscle.

I have had several Rabbits who have been diagnosed with various Heart conditions, but I am not sure which one you are referring to by 'HMD' :?

With many types of heart disease there are treatments that can be given. Whilst this will not cure the condition it can certainly buy the Rabbit more good quality time. Heart Disease does tend to be seen more in Giant Breeds, unfortunately x

I am going to see them tmw at the vet's(his best friend stays with him as they are so closely bonded). I will double check then. Thank you. I will update when I actually know and can thi k straight x

Hi there Mebs.

So sorry to hear of your worry with your giant.

I should clarify with your vet all the details, as I am very reluctant to give you any info on what it might be until you know for sure.

Knowing all the facts, including diagnosis and prognosis can take the worry out of a situation and we can then think more clearly.

I shall be thinking of you both xx

I am going to see them tmw at the vet's(his best friend stays with him as they are so closely bonded). I will double check then. Thank you. I will update when I actually know and can thi k straight x

I hope all goes as well as possible for your Big Boy. If a diagnosis of heart disease is made then it is not immediately the end of the road. All of my 'cardiac' Rabbits have done extremely well for a long time on treatment after diagnosis.

I'll check back later to see if you have updated your thread :)

It was HCM that he was being tested for. His heart membrane appears to be thickenrd and one of the chambers seems to be stretched. He is having Frusemide tonight as there is also some fluid showing. They are hoping that this will help and stop his stasis. His normal vet is in tomorrow and I will see her because I am visiting the buns every day. I am petrified. But the bit I don't understand is that he is on 2 x pain meds but still won't eat.

It was HCM that he was being tested for. His heart membrane appears to be thickenrd and one of the chambers seems to be stretched. He is having Frusemide tonight as there is also some fluid showing. They are hoping that this will help and stop his stasis. His normal vet is in tomorrow and I will see her because I am visiting the buns every day. I am petrified. But the bit I don't understand is that he is on 2 x pain meds but still won't eat.

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/cardiomyopathy/hypertrophic-cardiomyopathy

Once the Frusemide kicks in your Boy will probably feel a lot more comfortable and then he may be more likely to want to eat. If he has fluid in his chest cavity that can make breathing hard work and Bunny can feel pretty rubbish as a result. Frusemide acts very quickly so hopefully the Vet will see an improvement this evening.

Sending lots more vibes xx

I am sorry to hear this. Hokum (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy) can be controlled well with heart medications, depending on the severity of it. Frusemide is brilliant at getting rid of the fluid which will have accumulated in his lungs.

Once that kicks in, he may feel a lot more comfortable about eating.

There's some info here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CardiomyopathyRabbit.htm

A vet should sound his chest from time to time to see how he's doing. They will give you all the info, I'm sure. Do PM me if you need any more info, as I am used to this sort of thing so please try not to be afraid. Easy to say, but I am always happy to support x

I hope he begins to eat again soon :)

Back