• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Individual vegetables & how much?

Bella123

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I would like to know what you all feed your rabbits daily and most importantly the quantities of each vegetable.

For example: How many leaves of romaine lettuce would you give or sprigs of corriander?

I have looked on the internet - I can find what vegetables to feed, but not much info on the quantities of each.

I am particularly interested in veggie quantities for mini lops, (I'm particularly interested in that breed) to give me a rough idea how much of each vegetable I need to feed.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Hi everyone,

I would like to know what you all feed your rabbits daily and most importantly the quantities of each vegetable.

For example: How many leaves of romaine lettuce would you give or sprigs of corriander?

I have looked on the internet - I can find what vegetables to feed, but not much info on the quantities of each.

I am particularly interested in veggie quantities for mini lops, (I'm particularly interested in that breed) to give me a rough idea how much of each vegetable I need to feed.

Thanks for asking! I get uncertain of this myself. Monty isn't a mini lop, but I tend to take a bit of a "relaxed" attitude with fruit/veg. I try and avoid more than two or three berries/slices of fruit a week because of the sugar content, but otherwise he gets odds and ends from our dinners (carrot tops, bits of broccoli or asparagus stems, the inside leaves of a cabbage that aren't great to eat, etc) and kale/fine beans (his two favourites) if we need his co-operation for things like nail clipping. I tend to try and get it right across a week rather than each day - so if one day I find he's eaten less hay than usual, I'll cut back on his veg the following day to encourage him to eat more; some days he'll just have one type of veg (usually kale) then the following day small quantities of two or three different things, depending on what I'm cooking. It's not the most scientific approach, but it does seem to be working for us. (I'll just wait to be told off by somebody who has a better grasp of rabbit diets than I do :D)

As a general rule a rabbit's diet should consist of around 85-90% hay and/or grass. This is considered ideal both for teeth and digestion. Adult rabbits should have very small quantities of pellets - some owners judge this to be an eggcupful per day. The rest of their food can be made up of vegetables/herbs/forage.

I have said "as a general rule" because not all rabbits are the same. What is OK for one rabbit, as far as its digestion is concerned, might not be OK for another. So it is really a case of feeding a small amount, especially of vegetables, and observing the rabbit for any ill effect. Herbs and forage are generally tolerated more easily than vegetables and can be good sources of fibre.

As far as my three are concerned, they have no fruit and no manufactured treats. They eat a large amount of hay. I know by experience that as well as being very greedy, they are also generally OK (digestion wise) with anything I give them. Especially at this time of the year they have generous quantities of forage, herbs and tree leaves/twigs. As I know they can tolerate large quantities, they will certainly get through a lot (probably a large bucketful of forage at a time).

But I would stress it is important to monitor for any ill effects, especially when feeding anything new.

I've one mini lop and one dwarf lop. Both fed the same diet.

They get a variety of hays available 24/7. At the moment they have dean's meadow hay, readigrass and Timothy hay. But it will vary every couple days.

They don't get fed pellets at all as my mini lop is a dental rabbit and we are trying to reduce her frequency in dental procedures *she needs a GA each time*.

In terms of veg, well it's standard really.
1/2 cup of kale or 1/2 cup of broccoli or two fresh green leaves (large).
They also get forage on a daily basis and this varies daily as to what's available.

A couple of large hands full of dandelion or plantin, a large branch of maple or hawthorn or a few branches of willow. Some herb Robert mixed in with about 2 hands full of cows parsley or
Around 20 shoots of bindweed (hedge variety). This is just their most common and there are others they get mixed in.

I make their own hay treats which are used for training and they occasional get carrot peelings (from two large Carrots plus the tops). Maybe once or twice a month if they're lucky.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

Does this help at all?

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/components-rabbit-diet.asp

I also feed forage rather than vegetables

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

And a very good book written by Twigs Way called 'Foraging for Rabbits' which can be purchased from the RWAF bookshop

A good all round Rabbit Diet from Medirabbit:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

Back