• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teeny tiny poop

Leannean27

Alpha Buck
I'm sorry for my never ending questions :oops:

Luna had excess cecal droppings when I first had her which improved after she got used to eating hay but yesterday I noticed she has started to produce tiny poops, as well as small and regular.

She has fresh hay daily (Timothy and alfalfa the same as Ralph bun) and is still eating it and drinking normally as well as a large handful of muesli in the morning and evening. I've read a couple of posts which suggest upping grass and fresh food intake but my only problem is she is only 11 weeks old so I can't really do this, can I? I do have a bag of readigrass I was going to start them on when the alfalfa stage was done would it be overkill to add this into their 'hay' diet now/ is there even such a thing?

Pic below - ignore the ocd poop arranging!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KAv98lfr6SoMR3gr2

I'm sorry for my never ending questions :oops:

Luna had excess cecal droppings when I first had her which improved after she got used to eating hay but yesterday I noticed she has started to produce tiny poops, as well as small and regular.

She has fresh hay daily (Timothy and alfalfa the same as Ralph bun) and is still eating it and drinking normally as well as a large handful of muesli in the morning and evening. I've read a couple of posts which suggest upping grass and fresh food intake but my only problem is she is only 11 weeks old so I can't really do this, can I? I do have a bag of readigrass I was going to start them on when the alfalfa stage was done would it be overkill to add this into their 'hay' diet now/ is there even such a thing?

Pic below - ignore the ocd poop arranging!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KAv98lfr6SoMR3gr2

I rescued my latest rabbit when she was 3 1/2 - 4 months old. I have now had her for just over 4 weeks and during that time I have gradually reduced her pellet feed, so that she eats mainly hay/forage/veg/herbs/apple sticks with just a small amount of pellets in the evening. She's also a giant and is constantly eating!

Those recent poos look small and would suggest to me a slowing down of the gut, possibly due to insufficient fibre. If I were you I would very gradually reduce the amount of Muesli and try to encourage foods with more fibre. Do you have access to Apple, Hazel or Hawthorn twigs? They have new buds at the moment and would be good for their digestion. Bramble leaves would also be beneficial.

Just remember that any changes to diet should be done very gradually. I would also get into the routine of weighing your rabbits.

Hi Omi, I haven’t been to the woods for a look yet but will see what I can do there; my friend has a cooking apple tree - are the twigs from that okay or does it need to be an eating apple tree? How often do you weigh your buns?

Hi Omi, I haven’t been to the woods for a look yet but will see what I can do there; my friend has a cooking apple tree - are the twigs from that okay or does it need to be an eating apple tree? How often do you weigh your buns?

Yes, cooking apple tree twigs are fine :) Just give them one to start with. They can eat any or all of it. My rabbits always have twigs in their shed to nibble. It's also good as a tool to alleviate boredom.

I would like to think that, if I'm not concerned about a rabbit's health or am making large changes to their diet, I would weigh them every couple of weeks. However, I know that realistically it's probably sometimes closer to every 3-4 weeks :oops: The recommended time is probably every week. It's good to start off with a weight that could be considered their normal weight i.e. not when they are ill and then you can monitor changes more easily.

Back