• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lady Pips peeing habits at night

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Morning all.

I'm hoping you can help with Pippin' s peeing habits. She has earnt the name lady pee pee and I'm having to wash their blanket everyday!

She has been checked for a uti and is perfectly healthy etc.

Both her and Archie pee and poop in the litter tray all day and when the are free roaming in the evenings.

However every morning I come down she has left me a couple of presents whilst we are sleeping. They a generally near the tray, maybe a foot away at most.

What is she trying to tell me?

Is this just territorial? She is spayed though, but I have noticed she is the poop scatterer when something's new.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

All four of my rabbits wee in their 32 litre underbed storage box litter trays (newspaper and hay in there to entice them).

Any fabric is seen by them as an invitation to wee. They have not always done this but once they started I had to stop giving them anything fabric.

They now live in a shed/run combo in the garden. With no fabric!

My boys use the litter trays and have blankets/fleeces to lie on. If I fold the blankets and pile them up they dont wee on them. If I lay them out so that they are single ply so to speak the boys wee on them!

All four of my rabbits wee in their 32 litre underbed storage box litter trays (newspaper and hay in there to entice them).

Any fabric is seen by them as an invitation to wee. They have not always done this but once they started I had to stop giving them anything fabric.

They now live in a shed/run combo in the garden. With no fabric!
Our buns are indoors and their pen is on carpet which Archie likes to chew! We tried link but They both didn't like it and kept slipping everywhere. So we have to use blankets.
Also she did the same when we had lino.

I don't think it's a blanket thing, it's something else because it's only between 11pm nd 7.30am. The rest of the time she used the tray!

My boys use the litter trays and have blankets/fleeces to lie on. If I fold the blankets and pile them up they dont wee on them. If I lay them out so that they are single ply so to speak the boys wee on them!
I'll try folding another one on top in the corner where she goes and see if that helps. Thanks

Morning all.

I'm hoping you can help with Pippin' s peeing habits. She has earnt the name lady pee pee and I'm having to wash their blanket everyday!

Both her and Archie pee and poop in the litter tray all day and when the are free roaming in the evenings.

However every morning I come down she has left me a couple of presents whilst we are sleeping. They a generally near the tray, maybe a foot away at most.

Is this just territorial? She is spayed though, but I have noticed she is the poop scatterer when something's new.

Any ideas?

If she does it only after being confined after some free range time it may be 'protest peeing' -ie she is not impressed with being confined again x

Ah I missed the bit where you shut them away. Is there a reason for this? Early morning and night time are times when they are very lively so it will be frustrating for them to be shut in.

It must be great having indoor rabbits. I do miss it but feel that mine are safer outside (we have two dogs).

Morning all.

Any ideas?

Hi there - I missed Pip's post! :wave:

When was she checked for UTI? Was it a dipstick test?

Providing all is well in that direction, has it only just started happening and has anything changed?

Ah I missed the bit where you shut them away. Is there a reason for this? Early morning and night time are times when they are very lively so it will be frustrating for them to be shut in.

It must be great having indoor rabbits. I do miss it but feel that mine are safer outside (we have two dogs).
He we shut them into their pen, but it's huge! They still have plenty of room to binky and play.

We just give them free roam when we are around. This is for their own safety because Archie likes chewing furniture and carpet and I don't want him getting a blockage.

Yes it is lovely having them indoors I get to see them all the time and they have such great characters.

If she does it only after being confined after some free range time it may be 'protest peeing' -ie she is not impressed with being confined again x
I wondered about this, but she happily hops back in her pen at bedtime, we never have to pick them up or make them go in. It's not every night I don't think. Night before last there was no wee. Last night two big wees!

Hi there - I missed Pip's post! :wave:

When was she checked for UTI? Was it a dipstick test?

Providing all is well in that direction, has it only just started happening and has anything changed?
Hi MM.

She was checked in August for a UTI. I'm not sure what they did, but I took a urine sample in and she got the all clear.

I think she's always done it. But we used to shut them just in their dog crate at night which had a hay floor so it was hard to notice what was going on until we cleaned them out. She loves to wee on hay, anything I put hay in or on gets wee'd on.

So we thought it was confusing her having hay flooring and hay in their litter tray, so we changed to blankets and just put hay into their litter trays.

Since then it's easy for us to see because it's on a white blanket! Its only near the litter tray though.

Hi MM.

She was checked in August for a UTI. I'm not sure what they did, but I took a urine sample in and she got the all clear.

I think she's always done it. But we used to shut them just in their dog crate at night which had a hay floor so it was hard to notice what was going on until we cleaned them out. She loves to wee on hay, anything I put hay in or on gets wee'd on.

So we thought it was confusing her having hay flooring and hay in their litter tray, so we changed to blankets and just put hay into their litter trays.

Since then it's easy for us to see because it's on a white blanket! Its only near the litter tray though.

Ah, soft is wee territory for many bunnies also :D

Can you change the blanket for a piece of lino or something not soft but still has traction? I have use vinyl flooring, it has some grip.

Ah, soft is wee territory for many bunnies also :D

Can you change the blanket for a piece of lino or something not soft but still has traction? I have use vinyl flooring, it has some grip.

But what's odd is it's just one corner doesn't wee on the rest of the blankets!

We tried vinyl but Archie chews it so I'm wary of leaving an edge chewable to him.

When we covered the whole pen in it pip zooms so fast she kept sliding into everything!

I'm running out of flooring ideas.

This is their set up at the moment (please excuse the mess they have created in one day)

So they have two xlarge dog crates (just on the left of the pic) with blankets on the floor and a corner litter tray.

The big blue litter tray is were pip is currently weeing! She does her extra wees to the left where the yellow fabric is. (That's not normally there)

They little green tray we only use when they have free range otherwise Archie eats the plastic. Lol!!!!

She never wees anywhere else except that patch, unless I leave a pile of hay on the floor. Which is my fault I guess. Haha..

Any ideas what we could try next.

I'm going to try thicker folded fabric which someone suggested further up but need a day off so I can visit the fabric store.

89b6992c49b1a76c544ed6d6f1e28cd1.jpg

How about a metal baking tray or roasting dish in the corner where she is doing the extra wees?

How about a metal baking tray or roasting dish in the corner where she is doing the extra wees?
Yeah I could try that. There second litter was a metal baking tray, but they got too big for it. I might still have that somewhere.

For now, I've put the blanket down but left the bit she weed with just the link showing from underneath. At least that's easy to wipe clean!

Back