• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny keeps changing positions!

zhuJ2002

New Kit
Hi everyone,

Need some help. My bunny keeps changing position every 5 seconds and doesn’t look very comfortable. He keeps flopping as well as changing positions so I can’t tell whether he’s uncomfortable or happy - any ideas?

I think I heard some gurgling from him too so I’m worried he’s got some gas. At what point would people take their buns to the vet?

I’ve been offering him pellets and he happily runs (and sometimes binkies!) to get a hold of them which I suppose is a good sign! I’ve even been running up and down the living room with the pellets to get him a bit more active in hopes of relieving the gas.

I have felt his stomach and it doesn’t feel hard, he’s eating and drinking as normal too. Last time I took him to the vet they said he had a ‘big belly’ so should I be worried about this?

Does anyone have anymore advice? Thanks :) x

What is his poo output like? Normal size, quantity, consistency, colour?
If there are any changes, I would be ringing the vet tonight for advice, with the possibility of taking him in.
If you think there is something wrong, there probably is - and rabbits can go downhill very quickly. It sounds like he is in some pain, which will need veterinary advice and a physical checkup to find out why. Don't leave it to chance - trust your instincts.

His poo output is fine and look normal. everything else is fine apart from those few minutes where he was trying to get comfortable. He seems to be back to normal now though. I will keep an eye on him and ring the vets if I have any concerns. Thanks for your advice :)

Would anyone recommend using Simethicone? I’ve read a lot about it online but not sure what brand/type to get

A few people on this forum use Simethicone. I would advise against trying things before going to a vet because time is of the essence if your bunny should regress.
I am glad he is behaving normally again. Is it possible your bunny had some food/grass/veggies that caused his gas? Fresh spring grass?

What is his poo output like? Normal size, quantity, consistency, colour?
If there are any changes, I would be ringing the vet tonight for advice, with the possibility of taking him in.
If you think there is something wrong, there probably is - and rabbits can go downhill very quickly. It sounds like he is in some pain, which will need veterinary advice and a physical checkup to find out why. Don't leave it to chance - trust your instincts.

Agreed!

He has been fed some broccoli which I’ve heard can cause gas. Other than that he’s been on his usual diet. Should I cut out the broccoli?

Back