• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

ace :) thanks tlc. I thought it might be but it was when there was loads of new stuff about so I never bothered with it - I will now. I'm guessing it dries well?

ID help please - I'm not hopeful about photo one

IMG_4117_zpsfu2bn8bh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This grew well at the start of foraging season & is having a second go. It looks more silvery as it gets older. The plant in this photo has gone curly just because its obviously a fast drier

IMG_4118_zps5ggtgswc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gosh, you find some challenging plants to ID :lol:

No 1 doesn't look like a wild plant to me (but then you often find ones like this :lol:). If I had to guess I would say it looks like a Spirea, but absolutely not sure. I would, however, be very surprised if rabbits could eat it.

No 2 - What does the plant look like? Is it shrub-like? How big?

The 2nd one is Silverweed. Goes down well here!

Really? Are you sure? I have never found Silverweed growing in the wild, but I always though it was a creeping, low-growing plant. I agree the leaves look similar, but it's not how I considered Silverweed to grow.

The potentially silverweed photo could be misleading. It grows all on its own patch with thick ground cover & a couple of inches high

Can anyone ID these hedgerow plants for me pretty please? Xxx
IMG_20160827_183619_zpsmoyy3yeg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20160827_183624_zpsyjdg6tgn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gosh, more difficult leaves :lol:

My feeling is that the one on the left is Apple, but I am really not sure. If it is Apple, you should be able to see some evidence of fruit.

I presume the second pic is the same as the one on the right of the first pic? I'm afraid I don't know what this is and can't find a match in any of my books.

Gosh, you find some challenging plants to ID :lol:

No 1 doesn't look like a wild plant to me (but then you often find ones like this :lol:). If I had to guess I would say it looks like a Spirea, but absolutely not sure. I would, however, be very surprised if rabbits could eat it.

No 2 - What does the plant look like? Is it shrub-like? How big?

Spirea sounds like it could well be right. I know I bought it (it's not wild in my garden) but I can't remember what it was :roll:

Really? Are you sure? I have never found Silverweed growing in the wild, but I always though it was a creeping, low-growing plant. I agree the leaves look similar, but it's not how I considered Silverweed to grow.

Silverweed definitely grows in the wild where Twigs lives :D That's where I got it and ID'd it. I'm not saying this is Silverweed - just that I found it on 'wild' land.

Yes, silverweed is definitely a low growing plant :D

thanks all, I'll take a better photo of it in situ soon.

In terms of what grows in the wild & gardens I reckon there will be a proper mix here as most houses hoy their unwanted plants over the garden wall, or nearabouts

The 2nd one is Silverweed. Goes down well here!

Gosh, more difficult leaves :lol:

My feeling is that the one on the left is Apple, but I am really not sure. If it is Apple, you should be able to see some evidence of fruit.

I presume the second pic is the same as the one on the right of the first pic? I'm afraid I don't know what this is and can't find a match in any of my books.

Thanks, I don't think it's Apple but don't know what it is. Yep it's the same. I can't find anything in my books either but they both grow everywhere around here. Puzzling.

Silverweed definitely grows in the wild where Twigs lives :D That's where I got it and ID'd it. I'm not saying this is Silverweed - just that I found it on 'wild' land.

Yes, silverweed is definitely a low growing plant :D

Definitely looks like silverweed to me. There's loads growing on our local woodland in the clearings. My buns will eat it but only after everything else so not a favourite.

Thanks, I don't think it's Apple but don't know what it is. Yep it's the same. I can't find anything in my books either but they both grow everywhere around here. Puzzling.

Have you compared pictures of Goat Willow to your leaves on the left?

I find it in the wild everywhere here. It's one of my very common finds. But yes, it is a low-growing plant, the leaves are so soft when cut. The picture looks like a leaf that has been cut for a short while to me.

been foraging today and found 3 things i need help with if anyone has any ideas xx
DSCN0945_zps6qpz2bev.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0943_zpsna0ftapj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0941_zpsrvrin0tg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0940_zpsyveqpwdc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0937_zpspdsookkv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0936_zpsvi7gz6fo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Number 1 is annoying me as I'm sure that's what I saw the other day... could it be black horehound? Though the leaves look a little sparse... it's the closest match in my books, though the leaves look more like red hemp-nettle.

been foraging today and found 3 things i need help with if anyone has any ideas xx
DSCN0945_zps6qpz2bev.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0943_zpsna0ftapj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0941_zpsrvrin0tg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0940_zpsyveqpwdc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0937_zpspdsookkv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0936_zpsvi7gz6fo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gosh, these aren't readily identifiable either :lol:

No 1, I think is a Figwort of some sort. My first choice would be Betony from the books. If not, it's possibly a Woundwort, but it's not the Woundwort we get here (Hedge). Woundworts are fine for rabbits and I would "think" Betony is also OK, but I've never found it here, nor have I looked it up for rabbit-OKness.

No 2, is one of the Campion family and I think I've narrowed it down to Soapwort, although again I've never found it here. No idea if it's OK for rabbits. Campions are but, don't know about Soapworts.

No 3 - don't know. I'll have a think and a discussion with OH as he might know.

Back