• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog Crate Adaptions - Photos of build in progress

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Thought this might be useful to some people.

Disclaimer: This is a BASE. They are never EVER shut in here. They always have full use of my room 24-7 which during the day also includes my bed.

Phase 1 -

a2270dc2.jpg

Plastic base removed. Base of wood, lino and wood edging.

Phase 2 -

71a688a3.jpg

Second shelf. Batons across as 'joists' - screws at the ends at the bottom to stop them slipping. Second shelf exactly the same as base just with a hole cut out for the ladder. No lino at this point, we didn't think it would be needed but it was so we added that later.

Phase 3 -

21900028.jpg

Ladder added. Connected with a hinge so it can be raised for cleaning. Batons across for grip. Large square baton at the bottom to raise it a bit to make the angle not so steep.

Another view...

bcd8e2a5.jpg

Phase 4 -

8ac2bd33.jpg

Vet bed and more toys added.

As it is now after a few months use -

a4d582b0.jpg

Blanket added on the top to make it feel nice and snug in their bed area. Supplies on top of crate. End door taken off and we use this door now to limit hay and poos escaping. The large door still gets used for cleaning and changing poo box. Wooden bridge over the gap to stop any chance of catching feet on the bar and also for them to chew. Cosy duvet for feeties. Old pillowcases over vet bed for cleaning purposes and also to help feeties.

One of their favourite things is sitting on the top shelf poking their heads out from under the blanket. :lol: They've taken to jumping from there too. :?

ETA: Neither the shelf or the base are fixed in. Everything can come out again which is useful if we ever need to move it as it can all come apart and the dog crate folded down again.

ETA2: Another update...

We took out the inside ramp, filled the gap and fixed a new one to the outside.

0004ff8f.jpg

2b97afb4.jpg

21227b4d.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! :D

If the planed wood batons are fixed to the lino may I make a suggestion? That you use a clear silicone bathroom sealant to seal the join. This is what we have done in our hutch, any accidental spills or accidents are prevented from going into the crack/join - it works very well and sets hard like sealing around a bath. :wave:

Ooooooh what a fab idea!! I'll mention that to Dad. Thanks!

Just get him to fill the crack as a seal and not to over use it, you don't want the buns being able to get their teeth into it and chew it off. If you wipe your finger around the join after using the sealant it blends it across the gap as a thin film and makes a great waterproof barrier. I would also consider using a non toxic varnish on the wood itself, this makes the wood 'wipe cleanable' we also did this in our hutch :)

I like the idea of the varnish too. :thumb:

They don't pee at all on the bottom bit. But they do sometimes pee up the top. I have towels down under the vetbed but sometimes they manage to get the wood at the edges so that would help quite a bit. :thumb:

Wow! I love that!
I literally just ordered one of those big dog crates today so I can let my rabbits free range round my room when they come in and have somewhere of their own to go and lie down/go to the toilet/get a drink etc.
Do you mind me asking how much the wood cost to make the second shelf and ladder? And was it easy to make?
It looks fab! I bet they love it!

Wow! I love that!
I literally just ordered one of those big dog crates today so I can let my rabbits free range round my room when they come in and have somewhere of their own to go and lie down/go to the toilet/get a drink etc.
Do you mind me asking how much the wood cost to make the second shelf and ladder? And was it easy to make?
It looks fab! I bet they love it!

My Dad did it all. :oops: It wasn't too bad. He's not a carpenter and managed it so it shouldn't be too hard.

That's not the largest dog crate available at P@H so my estimate of wood won't be as much as if you have the largest one. I think it cost about £50-£70 in wood (i might be a bit out with this :? I can't really remember. I know we got one large sheet and some batons. I think the sheet was about £30 but did both base and shelf and the batons about £30). The lino was an offcut and cost us a tenner but it did not only both shelves but also my lionheads run as well. The wood for the ladder we had already.

*is not much help* :lol:

I want to do this if my Randy makes it through his op on Wednesday. Thanks for the pics they are very helpful.

No problemo. I've been sorting out some photos and remembered those ones.

I'm seriously tempted to get another dog crate, larger this time and do it again for the lionsheads but I don't feel happy yet leaving them to free-range at night and when we arn't here.

just wanted to thank you for putting these pics up just by coincidence i am upgarding gizmo's crate to the largest one and wanted to put another level in i am using your pics as a guide for the other half hope you dont mind! :oops:
:wave:

just wanted to thank you for putting these pics up just by coincidence i am upgarding gizmo's crate to the largest one and wanted to put another level in i am using your pics as a guide for the other half hope you dont mind! :oops:
:wave:

No problem! Just wanted to say though, that we've put the ladder on the outside now because we found it took up a lot of space inside. I keep meaning to take an updated photo.

No problem! Just wanted to say though, that we've put the ladder on the outside now because we found it took up a lot of space inside. I keep meaning to take an updated photo.

do you mean the ladder to get upstairs? how do they get upstairs?

Photo0411-vi.jpg

Photo0412-vi.jpg

Photo0414-vi.jpg

The edging is cos Mischa is a bit unsteady sometimes and kept falling off the side at night-time.

I also got a video of him coming down. :oops:

Video - hope this works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFwz48iZwPY

Boo, it still says processing, maybe it'll work later *hopes*

ETA. Think it's working now.

:love:ahhhhhhh how cute! excuse my silliness i didnt get what you meant by being on the outside :oops: blonde:roll:

my ladder would have to be inside when i am at work so i hope it doesn't take to much space, can i ask the size of your crate i know they are free range so dont need a big one :D

This is amazing!!! Did you build the wooden base inside the crate? If not how did you get it in? Any tips when doing this - converting a dog crate is my next project :D

Back