• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Converting a Wendy House U/D 10 June more pictures

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya.

Just in the process of converting my newest purchase on ebay and having been asked in the past about second floors etc I thought I might post a few pics. Hope they are of some use.

Starting with the skeleton
IMG_1216.jpg

Took out the perspex and replaced it with weld mesh. The perspex can be kept and made into weather screens. Made a simple frame and added weld mesh to make an internal door that means you can leave the solid door open in good weather. Bunnies will also love being able to see out at floor level.

IMG_1225.jpg

Put some insulation on the walls - I've found this to work a treat in my earlier version of the same wendy house. The bunnies sailed through the winter. You can use silver backed bubble wrap or Rockwool etc but in this case because of iit's sheltered location I opted for layers of regular bubble wrap. Roof is insulated with Wickes silver backed bubble wrap and works equally brillaintly in the summer or the winter.

I attached some battening to support the skin that is going to be added, plus this gives you something to attach a second floor to.

IMG_1217.jpg

I cut a hole in the side of the wall for access to the run outside and added battening to frame it out and give strength. It also gives the bunnies something to grip onto. In addition, if they are chewers, you can easily replace attached bits, where you couldn't replace the actual sides of the shed!

IMG_1220.jpg

Using plywood, I have skinned the whole of the wendy house out to give extra warmth. The bonus is that the little darlings can't chew the uprights or wee in the corners where you can't clean. Also, I find that fluff collects in the sides of sheds so this helps to prevent that too.

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

I attached an old hutch door (saving me masses of time and swearing) as the closure for the hatch into the run. This time I have attached it on the inside of the wendy house and it will swing up under the shelf and hook open. The last wendy house I did this in, I put it on the oustide but every time I needed to hook it closed I had to climb into the run to do so. Having it inside should make it much easier.

I also attached some more battening in a frame for the second floor, screwing through into the timber I added earlier - nice and sturdy.

IMG_1223.jpg

I have added skirting board as this gives the little sweethearts something else to chew if they must, it can always be replaced. Put a piece of timber on the shelf frame and covered both it and the entire floor with lino to help cleaning out. Works a treat and saves masses of time. It also helps with insulation.

Lastly added a bit of a rim to the shelf so that things don't fall of the shelf and a little ladder.

IMG_1224.jpg

That's as far as I have got to date - out there today making the attached run.:D

Last edited:
Made a simple frame and added weld mesh to make an internal door that means you can leave the solid door open in good weather. Bunnies will also love being able to see out at floor level.

Thats a fantastic idea,
it looks great I wish my DIY skills where up to that :D they are going to love it.

So having had a think about litter trays and where to put them, I decided to move the ladder. I had to add more shelving to do this but I am now chuffed with the amount of space I have (or rather the buns) have got. They seem to like it too now they've moved in. Shall be doing the paving and adding their run today and tomorrow so then they'll have a load of outside play too.:D

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

Last edited:
What a wonderful idea.

Before I eventually move in probably about 5 years time, I will be coming with my camera to take lots of picies and ideas away with me. Will need them to set up my bunny accomodation.

wow thats a really good job youve done.. and the finished product looks amazing.. very lucky bunnies :)

Wow this is so, so good, I sat there with mouth agape scrolling down!! :shock: :lol:

How long did all this take you and did you do it all by yourself?! :)

Wow this is so, so good, I sat there with mouth agape scrolling down!! :shock: :lol:

How long did all this take you and did you do it all by yourself?! :)

Thank you.

I started yesterday at about 3pm and got the first stage done by about 7.30pm. I then laid in bed overnight just thinking that I didn't like the ladder and didn't think the buns would too so got up this morning and started about 10am. Managed to finish before some bunny cuddling friends came round at 1.30pm with various intervals in between for forum reading :lol:.

Just now doing the paving for the run. Started about an hour ago and hope to have it finished in an hour or so. Then a glass of wine whilst the bunnies play I think.:D

Will post more pictures when it's complete.

Seriously - you should charge for this. I'd pay you!! Thinking of turning this into a bit of a weekend thing eh? If you are, just give us a bell...;)

Awesome Helen you put my woodwork to shame :oops: I need a step by step guide to puting the baton trim up on the shelf to stop things falling off :oops: Oooo and the ramp :oops: :lol:

Back