• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My darling Daisy; April 2010 - 12 May 2017 xxx

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
My darling Daisy duck. I can hardly believe this day has come. You were my entire life for such a long time, I don’t really know what to do with myself any more. I want to tell your story, you deserve it, you were such an awesome bunny. Here goes...

I started volunteering at my local animal sanctuary, helping to take care of the bunnies, after joining RU and realising that there were so many in rescue. I had got Olly and Honey from a breeder before I knew the extent of the problem, and really wanted to help in some way. That was where I met you. You were the biggest bunny in the place, everyone came to look at you! Because you were so big, you had an enclosure instead of a hutch like most of the others, but it still wasn’t large enough for you to run around. You spent lots of time sitting inside a cardboard box, and I felt really sorry for you. I could see you had lots of character by the way you used to ‘help’ when I cleaned out your pen.

I couldn’t stop thinking about you when I went home, and couldn’t bear the thought of someone adopting you then keeping you shut in a little hutch. So I decided to adopt you myself 😊 only thing was, I had nowhere for you to live! So... I ordered a big dog kennel/run to go in the garden. Then I started looking for a suitable husbun for you, as being outside on your own wouldn’t be much fun. I was struggling to find a big bunny to match your size, but then I found Digby, at another rescue centre not too far away. He was very handsome, and I just knew you would love him!

I was so impatient waiting for your house to be built, but finally it was ready, and I took you home. I had split it into two, so you could have half each while you settled in. I was ridiculously excited!

After about a week I started bonding you – I set up a tent in the garden so I would hear any scuffles in the night. As I’d predicted, you loved Digby to bits. You just got a bit worried when he started chasing and humping you, but you put up with it! After a while he settled down and you snuggled up together, it was so lovely to see. It was such an easy bond, I was so proud of you.

When you had been settled for a while, I was able to let you out to run around the garden, which you absolutely loved. I was amazed how fast you could run!! No way could Digby keep up!

You also loved the sun like me, and used to sit with me during my sunbathing sessions.

Sometimes you used to come into the kitchen and throw our shoes around, which always made us laugh. Floor snuggles became one of your favourite things; you loved having your cheeks and your head rubbed, and would sit there all day if I let you. Most of all though, you loved your Digby :love:

After a few years, me and daddy split up, and I had to find a new home for us all. It wasn’t easy, with 4 bunnies, but I found somewhere nice, with a garden. The garden wasn’t big enough to house you outside though, so I decided that you would have to become house bunnies. You always hated the rain and the cold, so you were both really happy about that!

Digby was getting a bit frail by this point though; he had very weak back legs and some breathing difficulties due to his tooth root problems. Just a few months after we moved, we had to say goodbye to him. You were devastated, as was I. You missed him so much. I felt so bad that I couldn’t give you a new friend. I’m so sorry Daisy ☹ All you wanted was to be snuggled. I really did my best to spend as much time with you as possible, but it was difficult, working full time and having two other single bunnies to consider.

You still loved to go out in the garden though, despite having to negotiate the steps down to the grass. You had arthritis in your elbows, knees and hips, which made life really difficult for you at times. You had metacam twice a day mixed into mashed banana, which you loved, thankfully!

You still loved to go out in the garden though, despite having to negotiate the steps down to the grass. You had arthritis in your elbows, knees and hips, which made life really difficult for you at times. You had metacam twice a day mixed into mashed banana, which you loved, thankfully!

Last September you took a turn for the worse. You had recurrent bladder infections, and bladder sludge. You wouldn’t eat. You had to have a GA to have your bladder flushed, and I was petrified that you wouldn’t get through it. But you were always a tough cookie Daisy. I kept you going with fresh bramble leaves and dandelions, often the only things I could get you to eat. I was so worried for so long, but you came through, thanks to our lovely vet Louise. She was the only vet who would agree to let you have the massive dose of metacam that you needed to be pain free. When you didn’t feel like eating, I had to inject you with it, and you were such a good girl. You barely flinched, even when it took me several attempts to get it right. You knew that I was helping you to feel better. Gradually you got better, and I was able to reduce your metacam to a more acceptable level, although you still had bladder issues due to sitting around so much. You had several courses of antibiotics, also injected, as you hated syringes near your mouth. I really couldn’t believe how tolerant you were. You clearly loved life, and loved me, and wanted to hold on as long as you possibly could. Your arthritis gradually got worse though, and even scratching your ears became really difficult for you. You started coming over to me so that I could scratch them for you. Anything for my darling Daisy

Last week I started your antibiotics again, as you were showing signs of yet another UTI. After a couple of days you usually picked up, but this time you didn’t, even though you were also having the maximum possible metacam dose. I came downstairs on Friday morning and you hadn’t eaten a thing overnight. I knew that you weren’t going to get better. You took yourself into the garden though and had a munch on the grass, and a potter about, which was really nice.

I realised it was time to let you go. I didn’t want you to be in pain any more, and have to have injections every day.
I made an appointment with Louise for later in the day. I gave you loads of your favourite treats; fenugreek crunchies and little hearts, which you ate happily. We had a big snuggle and I told you how much I loved you, and how special you were. Then we went to see Auntie Lou and she helped you to cross the rainbow bridge. I cried my heart out for you Daisy Duck, my special girl. I really didn’t know what I was going to do without you. I couldn’t believe you were gone.
But you aren’t suffering any more. I know that you had a good life with me, and you were happy, most of the time. I am glad that I was able to do that for you. I also want to thank you for being the most amazing bunny, and making me smile every single day. I loved you, and still love you with all my heart. My house is really empty without you, and I miss you so much. I have to stop myself from calling you when I come in. I have no one to talk to now when I’m downstairs. I have so much spare time that I don’t know what to do with myself. I know you know that I loved you. Just don’t forget, Daisy duck xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you lost such a special girl. Your words make the bond you shared completely apparent.

Binky free, beautiful Daisy. xxx

I've tears in my eyes reading your beautiful tribute to your special girl. She had a wonderful life with you, please don't torture yourself about what else you could have done, you did everything you could, including letting her go when she needed to xxx

A moving and lovely tribute to a special bunny, I also had tears in my eyes, with smiles at some of the pictures of her flopped over and her feet peeping out of the tunnel, I'm so sorry. Xx

A gorgeous tribute to your big lady where your love for each other really shines through. Your photography does her proud; they are all stunning- I'm in love with the one where she was flopped out in the sun yawning. so special. Sweet dreams Daisy xx

Daisy was so beautiful and such a special rabbit :love: Your photos of her are gorgeous and you can see how much she loved life (and Digby :)).

I am really so sorry that you had to let her go :cry:

A lovely tribute to her, :love: I had tears in my eyes too :cry: she had an amazing life and you had a special bond together :love:

Binky free Daisy xx

A beautiful tribute for your beautiful big girl.

Gorgeous pictures of Daisy.

Binky Free beautiful 💔💔💔💔

This was so difficult for you to do and to write.
The love shines through everything - yours for her, hers for you and also for Digby :love:

It's the most beautiful thing, and the pictures are incredible. It's moved me to tears seeing and reading it.

Daisy, God speed and have a wonderful time wherever you are now. You were so loved. So nurtured.

Hugs to you RM xx

Just :cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to her, Jo. It's so unfair that they can't go on longer and in better health.

Thinking of you as you remember your beautiful friend. She will be as deeply missed as she was loved. What a wonderful, special girl, reunited with her Digby now and no doubt they are watching over you.

Sleep well, Daisy xxxxxxx

(((((((((Huge hugs))))))))) xxxxxxxxx

Thanks everyone for your kind comments xxx I have just been to collect Daisy's ashes :( she is home now. I need to find something nice that I can put hers and Digbys in together, so they will be reunited. I wish I could give her a snuggle :(

A beautiful girl, a wonderful character. I had no idea Daisy was a big bunny, she was gorgeous. I am so sorry you have had to say goodbye. I hope in time the memories of her happy life with you will ease the pain.

I don't know if you may be interested but a lovely lady on FB - Sue Beasley has hand painted boxes with pictures of my bridge bunnies for their ashes. The paintings are beautiful.

Back