• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Hello :)

willow and squiggles - I think the plant you have seen and smelled is Black Horehound (Ballota nigra). It is indeed a member of the Mint family and I think it smells vile. "Vile" is a personal thing though because I think vinegar smells vile, but some folk put it on their fish and chips :shock:

Anyway, have a look at the picture of Black Horehound and see if that is what you saw. We've got lots growing in the garden. It's quite pretty when it flowers. I don't feed it to the rabbits, but I'm not sure whether you can or not. They can certainly have Mint, but if this tastes anything like it smells I can't imagine it would be very popular.

by searching for the black horehound i came across the hedge woundwort which it looks identical too. Same smell as the black horehound apparently. Mightymax how on earth do you know what plant im talking about with the description i gave. :lol: I wasnt exactly discriptive was i. Thankyou very much. Even though i have google i dont have a clue what to start searching for, the mint family thing was just a guess, i didnt actually know it was from that family.

by searching for the black horehound i came across the hedge woundwort which it looks identical too. Same smell as the black horehound apparently. Mightymax how on earth do you know what plant im talking about with the description i gave. :lol: I wasnt exactly discriptive was i. Thankyou very much. Even though i have google i dont have a clue what to start searching for, the mint family thing was just a guess, i didnt actually know it was from that family.

We've got Hedge Woundwort in the garden too :) Never considered it, but yes I suppose they do smell similar. They look very different though. Black Horehound is a bulkier, multi-stemmed plant with flowers right the way up the stems. Hedge Woundwort is just a single spire with all the flowers at the top. No flowers on either yet though. I do feed Hedge Woundwort and the rabbits like it.

I think you did well to "guess" that the plant was a member of the Mint Family.

too many slugs out there this evening so its dried forage for tea (which seems to produce a better quality of poo interestingly enough. Anybunny experienced this or can offer an explanation ?)

IMG_3122_zpsvqjgitq8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gosh the slugs round here don't come out until it's dark :shock:

I must admit I don't dry forage :oops: I find that probably ten months of the year there is usually something fresh to give them, even if it's only tree leaves in the colder months.

As to quality of poo, I imagine it's probably the same explanation as the difference between grass poo and hay poo. I don't know why though :lol:

the black and white bunny looks like its saying " eerrr can i help you with something there, dont even think about touching my supper:lol: such expression x
thanks omi the plant will be another on my list of " wait to flower" will take a photo if i can tomorrow.

too many slugs out there this evening so its dried forage for tea (which seems to produce a better quality of poo interestingly enough. Anybunny experienced this or can offer an explanation ?)

IMG_3122_zpsvqjgitq8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well since the only difference is the lack of water, it must be down to that?

The poos must be less moist, and dryer, just like the fibrous hay poos we all know and love :lol:

Well since the only difference is the lack of water, it must be down to that?

The poos must be less moist, and dryer, just like the fibrous hay poos we all know and love :lol:

their fresh forage poo is really hard though. I think its mainly Boo moulting as much as diet really. Mouse doesn't groom the others much & she has the best poo.

awww, thats my Mouse :love: she is very lovely, very greedy & speaks to you with her eyes all the time :) Which of your 2 does she remind you of? I'll reacquaint myself x

she reminds me of squiggles and darcy, they talk to you with their eyes and ears too:lol: they point their ears forward at me if i offend them

new photos.
1. cow parsley in flower
DSCN0435_zpsyfoplq3u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2. is this coltsfoot
DSCN0195_zpslcbnbses.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0196_zpsxbi05obp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3.think this is sorrel
DSCN0474_zpsbrladspw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0475_zpss8ugb5h5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
4. i dont know any help please xx
DSCN0472_zpsamu7nubo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0473_zpsdkimp4ig.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
5. anyone know this tree and if leaves are safe x
DSCN0443_zpse9t2xhit.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0445_zps9d0dmxd4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

3 looks more like dock to me? Could 4 be a poppy? Not sure about 5. I've never seen coltsfoot but it does look like it - hopefully someone will be able to confirm :D

I would only be confident in identifying No1, which I don't think you've got a problem with either.

No2 certainly looks like Coltsfoot from Parsnipbun's book, but it's not one that we get here.

No3 certainly could be Sorrel from my flower books, but again it's not something I encounter here and it's certainly very similar to the Docks.

No4 looks like Poppy, but I would look at the ones other than Common Poppy because of the elongated flower bud. Again, not something we get here.

No5 I struggle with trees generally. I've looked in a couple of books, but again it's not immediately evident what it is. Have you compared your specimen with Grey Alder? The leaves look similar, but I can't find a good picture to show the buds as well.

There's a really good app called leafsnap, you put a leaf on a white background and take a photo and the app then compares its shape etc and gives you suggestions as to what it could be.

Edit: Just asked google how to tell the difference between sorrel and dock and it says they're from the same family...never knew that! No wonder it's hard :lol:

Last edited:
There's a really good app called leafsnap, you put a leaf on a white background and take a photo and the app then compares its shape etc and gives you suggestions as to what it could be.

Edit: Just asked google how to tell the difference between sorrel and dock and it says they're from the same family...never knew that! No wonder it's hard :lol:

I presume that's an ap for a smartphone. No smartphones in this house :oops::lol: The ap does sound very useful though.

Yes, I found out this morning when I looked in my wildflower book that Sorrel was a member of the Dock family. No, I didn't know that before and yes, it is no wonder it's so hard.

I wish I lived closer to Parsnipbun, or was happier going off on long distance adventures, so that could join one of her foraging courses :) There are certain simple plants that I have problems differentiating between, before they flower, e.g. Buttercup and Geranium. The Docks would be another teaser.

There are certain simple plants that I have problems differentiating between, before they flower, e.g. Buttercup and Geranium.

Yes!! Me too, I'm glad you said that! Sometimes it's obvious, but sometimes it's really not.

The other one I struggle with is some kinds of willows (I can tell the normal weeping one) v eucalyptus.

Back