• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what are some good medicine to help skin to heal

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
https://imgur.com/a/lFVVd

lFVVd

click link for photo please

here's an update of my bun's skin cancer:

the deeper wound that needed to be stitched has fully healed. The area above that stitched wound has an outer layer of the skin, and the skin still hasn't grow back. And if you look at that open skin from the side, you can see the gap to the inner body. However, strangely, there is no blood coming out (a few days ago there is a very small amt. of blood, like a few micro drop)

The wound is being patched w/ Flamazine. The rabbit savvy vet said polysporin is harmful to a bun, so I shouldn't use it. But what can we use to re-grow back that skin? What about the prodcut "Jason, Aloe Vera 98% moisturizing gel", would that work on a rabbit and help the skin to re-grow?

what about raw honey or manuka honey? has anyone uses this ? if so, how? do you just patch those honey on the spot?

if not, how does other rabbit owner deal with this problem?

As to those satellite tumors, back a mth. ago, I can feel the width of the satellite tumor as a peanut size. In the past 2 weeks, it's very hard to locate that tumor. It's still there, but I try it 4 times and it's very hard to find it or to feel the width of the satellite tumor, forget about measuring it. The only guesses is:

1) tumor has reduced in size

or

2) for unknown reason, I just can't locate that little tumor

No, it's the same bunny I have, Bobby, that has fibrosarcoma, from this thread here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?467693-What-is-this-red-object-on-my-bun/page2

Oh, I had missed that, sorry.

The only case of Fibrosarcoma I have had here was Uncle Albert. His cancer was in his mouth. As you probably know, Fibrosarcoma may not be likely to spread elsewhere, but the tumour often regrows even if it is removed.

I am reluctant to suggest any topical treatments for your Rabbit as I am not qualified to do so and I do not have any experience of any other case expect for that of Uncle A x

so, tell me about what happened to Uncle Albert after you discovered him has fibrosarcoma. Can you give me a detail story

Those Manuka honey is doing magic for Bobby. It's only been 1 day, I can see the wound looks better. It's like there is a shield covering his wound. Like there is a crystal layer of glue sealing that spot. And the skin reacts to it in a positive way. I wish I know about this Manuka honey trick years earlier.

The people who used it has already used it in other animals like birds or horses.

They tell me to buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SSC6TBQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4D9tAbS850094?th=1

They then said to me: "Manuka honey is the strongest anti macrobiotic and used successfully to treat wounds. the Stronger the Manuka count, the higher the healing properties. You can buy on Amazon but make sure it's certified by the Manuka institute or it's counterfeit. Here is a good brand I have used Happy Valley UMF 15+ Manuka Honey, 250g (8.8oz)"

but I don't have time to wait and get it from amazon. So I just buy it locally. And it works

Those Manuka honey is doing magic for Bobby. It's only been 1 day, I can see the wound looks better. It's like there is a shield covering his wound. Like there is a crystal layer of glue sealing that spot. And the skin reacts to it in a positive way. I wish I know about this Manuka honey trick years earlier.

The people who used it has already used it in other animals like birds or horses.

They then said to me: "Manuka honey is the strongest anti macrobiotic and used successfully to treat wounds. the Stronger the Manuka count, the higher the healing properties. You can buy on Amazon but make sure it's certified by the Manuka institute or it's counterfeit. Here is a good brand I have used Happy Valley UMF 15+ Manuka Honey, 250g (8.8oz)"

but I don't have time to wait and get it from amazon. So I just buy it locally. And it works

Hi Jason :)

Any honey will work as a topical antibiotic, but Manuka Honey (medical grade) is even better.

I discovered it about 25 years ago and began using it to heal rabbit abscesses when vets just didn't know what to do ...

Good stuff :thumb:

My Vet has advised the use of Manuka Honey for things such as open abscesses and to aid certain types of wound healing. Aswell as the high UMF factor Manuka Honey there are surgical dressings impregnated with manuka honey

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/3311914601...=9046176&device=c&campaignid=974966814&crdt=0

what's a "dressing" ? Is it a pad?

the people who told me this just ask me to use cotton swab to dip some and apply it to the wound

what's a "dressing" ? Is it a pad?

the people who told me this just ask me to use cotton swab to dip some and apply it to the wound

Yes a dressing is basically a pad. Something like a plaster is also a dressing:

https://www.convatec.co.uk/wound-skin/aquacel-dressings/aquacel-surgical-dressings/

When I have used Manuka honey, it's been as you say, a clean cotton swab and apply to the wound. It's not often that we need to use a dressing and then bandage over the top to keep the dressing in place. It's often impractical with rabbits anyway :)

Here's an update: I put the honey on every 12 hr. or so. I don't know if there is such a thing as too much honey. But eventually it forms a big patch of honey the size of a small coin. Today, Bobby pull the non sterile pad off. It's possible the pad is stuck to the honey. So he could pull the honey off. Regardless, all I have left is the un-heal skin but no blood. There is new wet skin fragment on it. So it looks like new skin is trying to grow, but I don't understand why it is wet and is in very small fragment. It could because Bobby pull it out prematurely. Just a guess.

So in a way, back to square 1.

I know it's only been a few days. Should I just apply the honey and leave it as a light coat of seal instead of applying it twice a day? How often do you guys refill / add the honey?

Here's an update: I put the honey on every 12 hr. or so. I don't know if there is such a thing as too much honey. But eventually it forms a big patch of honey the size of a small coin. Today, Bobby pull the non sterile pad off. It's possible the pad is stuck to the honey. So he could pull the honey off. Regardless, all I have left is the un-heal skin but no blood. There is new wet skin fragment on it. So it looks like new skin is trying to grow, but I don't understand why it is wet and is in very small fragment. It could because Bobby pull it out prematurely. Just a guess.

I know it's only been a few days. Should I just apply the honey and leave it as a light coat of seal instead of applying it twice a day? How often do you guys refill / add the honey?

If I have used the MH for an abscess then the abscess is flushed out prior to each application.

If I am using MH on a wound then I use the MH dressings. These do not get so sticky and new skin formation does not get pulled away as the dressing is removed.

I have no idea if this would be an option for treating a chronic wound on a Rabbit, please dont try it without seeking professional advice Jason !! I may be talking out of my backside as usual.

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/fish-skin-dressing-helps-heal-wounds/8271.article

http://www.piersonsurgical.co.uk/kerecis.html

When I have used Manuka Honey for abscesses, I simply fill the cavity with honey and then leave it. I do 'clean' the abscess twice daily, but the honey has either dripped away or been absorbed so the only cleaning to be done is removing any possible pus. The warmth of the body will warm and therefore soften and 'melt' the honey.

Did the vet ask you to use dressings?

When I have used Manuka Honey for abscesses, I simply fill the cavity with honey and then leave it. I do 'clean' the abscess twice daily, but the honey has either dripped away or been absorbed so the only cleaning to be done is removing any possible pus. The warmth of the body will warm and therefore soften and 'melt' the honey.

Did the vet ask you to use dressings?

no, I didn't talk to the vet lately. He prescibe that white cream that is anti-bacterial, and since I use that for 3+ weeks and it's going nowhere, I stopped using it and switch over to honey the other day.

the wound is not really an abscess, so there is nothing to drain. It's just his most outer skin not grow back. And there is no blood.

I am just hoping that outer skin to grow back. It's not a deep wound, just the outerskin is not there.

Jane, where's this Kerecis at local store? I can't find it in Canada. Shouldn't this be something available everywhere? have you try it?

No, I have not tried it and as I said, please dont do so without first seeking professional advice.

It may be very difficult for your Rabbit's skin lesion to heal given that from what you have said there is no active blood supply to the area.

http://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols/Health-Concerns/Trauma/Page-02

https://www.unitypoint.org/livewell/article.aspx?id=2d59582b-3594-4e51-95d7-10d3f735bcc7

and

''About Kerecis

Kerecis develops regenerative technologies based on fish skin and Omega3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. The initial Kerecis product, Kerecis Omega3 Wound, has been approved by the FDA and European regulatory authorities for wound healing. The technology is patented in the United States and multiple other countries. The Kerecis wound-healing product has a Medicare “Q” code Q4158, allowing it to be easily identified and processed by Medicare and private insurance companies. Production takes place in the Kerecis manufacturing facilities in Iceland. For more information, visit
www.kerecis.com. Distributor inquiries are welcome.

Contact
Kay Paumier
Communications Plus
408-370-1243''

https://www.canadianinsider.com/rol...ntion-at-the-symposium-on-advanced-wound-care

the wound is caused by the not-healing of the outer skin. The thickness of the outer skin is very thin, say about the thickness of a piece of paper, or may be a little bit thicker. There is no blood.

So yesterday, I put the Manuka honey on, and as you can see today, the wound area is coated w/ honey. And it is this small wound that is not healing.

(the red spots on the towel are blackberry juice)

https://imgur.com/a/i7k2k

i7k2k

Back