• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range rabbits...? If not - where to buy accommodation?

Chrisrules334

Warren Scout
Hey,

Just wondering - if you had a garden a rabbit couldn't get out of (ours is walled) would you let them run around the garden all day? Our area is unlikely to have foxes, but there are obviously local cats - never seen one in the garden mind.

We did this with our first rabbit and had no issues - but see advice to the contrary around the web.

If not... where would you buy accommodation from? Would this be suitable? Would it also need a run? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0..._SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rabbit+hutch&psc=1

Thanks

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

I wouldn't, but that's not to say you couldn't, I just don't think I could relax. I'm sure under supervision it would be great fun for them though.

We used to have that hutch/run, but have since upgraded to a large run/tunnel/playhouse set up. I used to find crawling in the run underneath, to clean etc a bit awkward and as we had three in there they needed something bigger x

Foxes will find a way in if they want to. They can easily scale a 6' wall. Cats are quite agile as well - usually more of a pest, but can seriously stress a rabbit. Plus there is always the danger of flying predators who can just swoop down and grab their prey. I would not risk leaving rabbits out unsupervised unless there was a physical barrier to stop predators getting in, and it was dig proof ground (both to stop bunny digging out, and predators digging in).

Thanks for the replies. I think we were completely oblivious to the risks - he lived until 12... day out twice lol. We were fortunate in where we lived (only 5 houses nearby).

In terms of ours:

Digging out - possible but only to next doors garden which it would then have to dig through before getting worried. Anyway - the cats nearby do worry me.

So - we need a hutch...

It's really hard to find ones that are the correct dimensions. With two sleeping areas as we're planning to buy 2...

Not sure why you need 2 sleeping areas?
When you say you are planning to buy 2 - is that 2 rabbits?
Bonded rabbits would normally snuggle up together. Obviously, the more space the better anyway.
The dimensions of the combo unit you posted look OK - no idea about the quality of the build - but it is along the right lines.

Have you thought about a wendy house and attached run, or an aviary type run attached? It would probably be around the same price, better build quality and easier to look after.

Not sure why you need 2 sleeping areas?
When you say you are planning to buy 2 - is that 2 rabbits?
Bonded rabbits would normally snuggle up together. Obviously, the more space the better anyway.
The dimensions of the combo unit you posted look OK - no idea about the quality of the build - but it is along the right lines.

Have you thought about a wendy house and attached run, or an aviary type run attached? It would probably be around the same price, better build quality and easier to look after.

Hahaha - Maybe I thought they were like humans... I'd quite like to have a separate sleeping area...

Yeah 2 rabbits - looking at Mini lops.

Will consider the one I posted as the dimensions look OK & will check out some Wendy houses with a run - I'd plan to let them out for a bit of time (hour or two) in the evening supervised when back from work (maybe give them roam of the kitchen as it leads to the garden) as I do feel bad keeping animals locked away even if they are happy.

Update:

Found one I like - https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/the-bunnery-w1-85m-x-d1-85m

Says it's compliant with H.E.A.R.T - so I guess that makes it suitable. Plan to get the mesh flooring but DIY insulation with Snugglesafe's which look good, and some polyurethane to make a wrap for the top of the hutch.

Now - we need to find some rabbits... plan is to adopt a pair that are <1 year old so we have them through their life. We've had a look at the RSPCA website and will get a form in with them

Update:

Says it's compliant with H.E.A.R.T

You might want to read this - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?465294-The-Bunnery&highlight=dunster and look elsewhere.

Have you tried looking at Boyles Pet Housing or local shed/joinery companies that would build to your requirements at all? I'm planning on going the DIY route myself as soon as I can afford it as I've got an awkward spot I want to put the shed and run in.

Update:

Says it's compliant with H.E.A.R.T - so I guess that makes it suitable. Plan to get the mesh flooring but DIY insulation with Snugglesafe's which look good, and some polyurethane to make a wrap for the top of the hutch.

Now - we need to find some rabbits... plan is to adopt a pair that are <1 year old so we have them through their life. We've had a look at the RSPCA website and will get a form in with them

What does HEART stand for? The rabbit welfare group is called RWAF: calling for a hutch of at least 6 x 2 and a permanently attached run of at least 8 x 6. I haven't looked at the dimensions of that one.

Also, if you are going to mesh the bottom of the run, which I think you said was your intention, not sure whether you know to bury it under the turf otherwise it hurst their feet.

You might want to read this - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?465294-The-Bunnery&highlight=dunster and look elsewhere.

Have you tried looking at Boyles Pet Housing or local shed/joinery companies that would build to your requirements at all? I'm planning on going the DIY route myself as soon as I can afford it as I've got an awkward spot I want to put the shed and run in.

Thanks for the replies both... This is, however, somewhat frustrating as we've spent ages looking for an appropriate hutch - £400 is at the upper limits of our accommodation budget, which I think is more than reasonable.

I could get a 2 storey Chartwell (e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XL-6ft-Ch...hash=item19fefa4826:m:mS_OHVCjgv4rGQH2dsXG9nA)

and add a 6ft run to the bottom level, this would give effectively a 6x2x2 hutch (top floor), and 8x6x2 run which is more than RWAF suggests. I may have to put some strong mesh around the legs to stop the rabbits getting out.

We also need something that can fit under a windowsill so the 'Bunnery' height is what we're after as opposed to a shed (due to the gardens design).

Suggestions more than welcome :)

Or... thoughts on this approach:

Buy a hutch from Boyles (https://boylespethousing.co.uk/product/budget-rabbit-hutches/)
Modify the hutch to have a ramp down into a large run:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6ft-XL-Ch...264412&hash=item1a01e8f609:g:ONYAAOSw-vlVh81M

Obviously i'd have to reinforce the run to support the hutch on top of it. I think I would be able to work this out (some wooden triangles to support the hutch for example)

It's really difficult finding suitable accommodation, I went to FOUR pet shops and there wasn't a single 6x2x2 hutch and I refuse to keep rabbits (or any animal) in less than satisfactory conditions.

Thanks for the replies both... This is, however, somewhat frustrating as we've spent ages looking for an appropriate hutch - £400 is at the upper limits of our accommodation budget, which I think is more than reasonable.

I could get a 2 storey Chartwell (e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XL-6ft-Ch...hash=item19fefa4826:m:mS_OHVCjgv4rGQH2dsXG9nA)

and add a 6ft run to the bottom level, this would give effectively a 6x2x2 hutch (top floor), and 8x6x2 run which is more than RWAF suggests. I may have to put some strong mesh around the legs to stop the rabbits getting out.

We also need something that can fit under a windowsill so the 'Bunnery' height is what we're after as opposed to a shed (due to the gardens design).

Suggestions more than welcome :)

Sounds like a hutch and run is your best option then.

Had a look at the Chartwell and if you decide to go with it I'd ask the company if they could change the doors so that they meet in the middle instead of having that fixed wire mesh piece there. From experience it's a lot easier to clean if you can open the doors to access the hutch all the way across.

I'd also be tempted to not have any bedroom dividers on either floor so you get more flexibility on how things are arranged; litter trays take up a fair amount of space especially if using underbed storage boxes and rabbits are prone to arrange things how they and not you want. Depending on your diy skills you can always add them later if you find you want them but I've found they are harder to remove if already in place.

Are you also looking to get a cover for it as well? Looks like there's enough room on the framing of the wire mesh to put some removable wooden/perspex shutters in but you could go for a full plastic cover instead.

Oh and if you haven't already, have a look around for where you can get cheap lino offcuts for the hutch floor. In combination with a litter tray it was the best decision I made to make cleaning easier.

PS: You do realise that once you start getting accommodation you'll keep having to improve it? :D

Back to your original question .. I have always let my rabbits free-range during the day (with all day access to base of course).

Routinely at dusk, which is early in the day in winter and late at night in summer, they would (99 per cent of the time!) happily go back in overnight with the promise of a veggie treat.

We do have cats in the area but generally this has not been a problem. Obviously, if I lived in a heavily populated fox area, I wouldn't have done it. There may well have been risks attached but, in 25 ish years and having had many rabbits, I would not have done it any differently. It has been very rewarding seeing 'lifestyle' choices ... 'I go out, stay in, sit in the rain, shelter from the rain. ..' etc.

It is a balancing act, but seeing my rabbits scrabbling in the soil, bunny hopping over the lawn, darting here and there and routinely grazing as dusk approaches, has been a pleasure in my life :) And I am at home quite a lot so am in and out checking all okay, but could also go out for the day and leave them.

I know it is contentious and many will be aghast at me, but I have loved giving my rabbits as near a natural lifestyle as I possibly could.

Hope that helps and not confuses!

I keep my four rabbits in a shed with an attached run. I would never go back to a hutch now. The shed is especially great in wet weather when cleaning out is made a lot more pleasant by being sheltered and able to stand up.

They get a couple of hours of free range time per day. We do have foxes near by but so far so good.

Ha - we did the same and it was all good...

I am not sure the RSPCA would agree with the approach though! My old rabbit chased a cat off once, as cats typically aren't hungry they just want to play. Like you we put them in the hutch overnight to be safe.

I would like to do this, but the rabbits will be kept in front of the kitchen window (hutch backed up against the wall with the run in front of it) due to our gardens shape/size, we therefore need a short sized hutch.

We've found a nice one at Ukrabbithutches (please don't tell me they aren't good :( we've spent hours looking) which meets the criteria of the RSPCA: http://www.ukrabbithutches.co.uk/hutchandruncombo.html - 6x2x2 hutch, 6x8x3 run.

We're having a call with a 'rabbit expert' later so will see what they say!

The rabbits we're looking at are these two :) https://www.rspca.org.uk/findapet/details/-/Animal/LAURIE_AND_DORIS/ref/BSA2066064/rehome/

Ours have a large run but we let them out free range in the garden when we are at home and if we nip out for a run/walk etc where we won't be that long, say a hour or so ( I'm not sure there is any logic to this, I just figure in case they did ever do a Shawshank redemption/tunnelling out we'd have time to catch them - I don't think they want to leave and I reckon tunnelling out is near impossible but you never know!) We always padlock the back gate if we do this. We have a 6ft fence although we have seen a cat recently and I have seen a fox in the field behind us (sadly chasing the wild bunnies which are most likely easier pickings) but never in the garden. They tend to sleep from 10 until 4pm anyway so I don't worry about keeping them in their run then. I think you have to weigh up risk vs quality of life.
If you are letting them out when you are not at home I think so long as it is secure as it can be and there are several places for them to run and hide if they need to then you are significantly reducing the risks and most likely improving their quality of life. Even though ours have a large run it still doesn't compare to the garden where they can binky to their hearts content!

Back