• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Watery eyes in elderly bunny

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Hello :wave:

My ancient old girl (nearly 13) has developed watery eyes over the New Year Period.

We've had her at the vets and she's been on Isathal eye drops for about 8 days with almost no difference (maybe a very slight improvement).

I've sent photos to the vets this morning but was wondering if there was any advice through this forum?

She's so old that I would be really very worried about putting her through loads of investigations :( No history of either eye or teeth problems.

She is perfectly happy in herself - eating and pooping as normal.

Thank you :love:

Could be that her tooth roots are elongated. Did the Vet attempt to flush the nasolacrimal ducts ? If the ducts are blocked due to tooth root elongation then the ducts won’t drain and thus the eyes constantly water. It is likely you will just need to manage the condition with daily bathing of the eyes and applying a tiny bit of Vaseline where the tears run to protect the delicate skin. Antibiotic eye drops are not going to help if there is no active infection.

Thank you for coming back so quickly - very grateful!

No the vet wanted to treat initially as conjunctivitis, although she did mention tooth roots could also be an issue :(

I am pretty sure that the vet did not attempt any flushing ( I had to wait outside due to covid) however, my bunny doesn’t much like to be handled and gets very stressed at the vets so she probably would think it best not to try.

That’s helpful information thank you. I was worried that any investigation would require a GA and I just honestly don’t think she’d be up to it at her ripe old age.

bless her :love: I hope the eye bathing helps, I certainly wouldn't do any diagnostics, managing the symptoms definitely sounds the way forward for her at nearly 13.

Thank you for coming back so quickly - very grateful!

No the vet wanted to treat initially as conjunctivitis, although she did mention tooth roots could also be an issue :(

I am pretty sure that the vet did not attempt any flushing ( I had to wait outside due to covid) however, my bunny doesn’t much like to be handled and gets very stressed at the vets so she probably would think it best not to try.

That’s helpful information thank you. I was worried that any investigation would require a GA and I just honestly don’t think she’d be up to it at her ripe old age.

Just try bathing the eyes with cooled boiled water, If you apply very, very gentle pressure under the tear duct you might find a blob of pus comes out. That might be enough to get the ducts to drain better. However if the tooth roots are elongated the problem will recur and as I said before it is just a case of daily management. I have done this for numerous elderly Bunnies. Elongated tooth roots can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs under GA Personally I would not opt to have them done on a 10 year old Bunny. It would not change the treatment, just confirm the diagnosis.

I feel much better prepped now for when the vet calls me back. Is it likely that the elongated roots are causing any discomfort?

I have been trying to bath her eye in the mornings before the eye drops as it’s hard to gauge whether the wetness around her eye is from historic or current watering. She doesn’t thank me for it, however she’s a lot more placid in her old age…if she had been a baby there would be no chance of getting anywhere near her eyes :) :love:

I feel much better prepped now for when the vet calls me back. Is it likely that the elongated roots are causing any discomfort?

I have been trying to bath her eye in the mornings before the eye drops as it’s hard to gauge whether the wetness around her eye is from historic or current watering. She doesn’t thank me for it, however she’s a lot more placid in her old age…if she had been a baby there would be no chance of getting anywhere near her eyes :) :love:

I think its likely they cause discomfort & I think its usual to be on metacam. I have an elderly wonky girl whose eyes are bright but discharge - I assume tooth roots are her issue. it became apparent the day she lost her bonded partner which was back in May 2020 - he obviously did a fab job cleaning her eyes. Mousey hasn't had any xrays but is on metacam (for arthritis) anyway. I know little Casper on here was diagnosed with tooth root elongation years ago & has been on metacam all that time

Hello :wave:

My ancient old girl (nearly 13) has developed watery eyes over the New Year Period.

We've had her at the vets and she's been on Isathal eye drops for about 8 days with almost no difference (maybe a very slight improvement).

I've sent photos to the vets this morning but was wondering if there was any advice through this forum?

She's so old that I would be really very worried about putting her through loads of investigations :( No history of either eye or teeth problems.

She is perfectly happy in herself - eating and pooping as normal.

Hi Katie, sorry to hear your buns having eye troubles. I know you said never had dental problems but maybe something might be going on under teeth in roots? You’ve probably had that checked anyway so sorry if you already have. I know my girls eyes get watery when needing dental xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think its likely they cause discomfort & I think its usual to be on metacam. I have an elderly wonky girl whose eyes are bright but discharge - I assume tooth roots are her issue. it became apparent the day she lost her bonded partner which was back in May 2020 - he obviously did a fab job cleaning her eyes. Mousey hasn't had any xrays but is on metacam (for arthritis) anyway. I know little Casper on here was diagnosed with tooth root elongation years ago & has been on metacam all that time

Thank you - I will mention the possibility of metacam to the vets when I speak with her. Does your elderly girl manage ok? Blackberry is so old that I really don’t think she does a good job of washing her little face these days so it’s probably more obvious than it otherwise may be. My poor old girl :love:

One of my buns has elongated teeth roots, he's been on Metacam since it was diagnosed. He has weepy eyes also, but generally manages well with the pain relief. Hope you are able to get it sorted for your bunny :love:

What a wonderful age. :love: At that age I wouldn't want to do much diagnostics, either, and would focus on just keeping her as comfortable as possible, so, yes, just keeping her eyes and face clean sounds like the way to go. If it is elongated tooth roots, I do think that would cause her some discomfort. Like j&b said, my little Casper was diagnosed with them some years ago and he gets Metacam every day and manages fine. He has a teary eye some days and has had that for years, but not like your girl, as most days his eyes are clean. Sending lots of vibes for your old lady. :love:

Last edited:
Back