• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Got my bunnies an improvised hay & forage rack, resulting in less stray poo :thumb:

07TUiR8.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks great :love:

I'm so upset I didn't know Budlia was safe - I've been helping to clear loads of it from our local marsh. If I'd know I could of taken some home!

What have they got there? Grass, Willowherb, Hawthorn?

Yep - & some lovely hog weed, apple & herb robert (that probably went before I had the chance to get the camera out)

Amy - your buns might not like it anyway. It seems pretty hit & miss, mine all reject it

Mine actually like buddleia very much :)

I've two big bushes in the garden :)

Haha, I knew you were going to say this :lol: I remembered you saying before about Buddleia. All I can say is yours must be particularly tasty, cos my rabbits don't normally reject anything :)

Oooh I've lots of that Herb Robert, didn't know what it was but I never pull it up because I like the flowers!

Will try some on the piggies :)

Someone has got me some so I will let you know what mine think. Is it just the leaves and stems that are safe?

Do you mean Buddleia or Herb Robert?

They eat every scrap of Herb Robert. I don't feed Buddleia flowers, but just the leaves and stems :)

Someone has got me some so I will let you know what mine think. Is it just the leaves and stems that are safe?

I only offered the leaves and stems.

Hettie was having none of it! had one mouthful then ran off! Colin didn't even bother trying it!

We have a couple of Hop plants that are scrambling up different sides of the house. Well this year they've gone bonkers and there are baby Hop plants growing everywhere up through shrubs. Don't quite know why. Perhaps we didn't tidy them up quite as much last year or the year before and they have self-seeded. Anyway, the rabbits are delighted :D They're going mad for them. I've also noticed lots of wild ones growing up through the hedges along the road, so perhaps it's just a very good year for Hops :D

We have a couple of Hop plants that are scrambling up different sides of the house. Well this year they've gone bonkers and there are baby Hop plants growing everywhere up through shrubs. Don't quite know why. Perhaps we didn't tidy them up quite as much last year or the year before and they have self-seeded. Anyway, the rabbits are delighted :D They're going mad for them. I've also noticed lots of wild ones growing up through the hedges along the road, so perhaps it's just a very good year for Hops :D

Hops .. I remember last year when I visited Twigs for her Foraging Day, we gathered in hops. I've seen none down here, but I picked a lot whilst with Twigs and hung them up to dry. The buns loved them! You have lucky buns :)

I train mine to be non-fussy. 'Eat this, or starve' is what I tell them :lol:
We leave it for 24hrs, by which time they'll have finished everything that isn't hay or isn't liked! Buddleia falls into the 'worse than hay' category. But any fresh green stuff is acceptable when it's 'bramble or hay' (i.e. winter) :lol:

Who is still foraging. I had a lovely beckside walk today, kicking through the leaves. It smelt of autumn.

Found loads of new growth hogweed, geranium & the usual dandelion, plantain. Trees are pretty much bare now. Got ambushed as soon as I got home, they have fine noses my bunnies

Did a little yesterday which was the first time for a couple of weeks.
Blackberry, willow, apple, plantain, dandelion and cow parsley

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Back