• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bit of stasis advice please! U/D It's come back...

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
Billy started to develop stasis this morning - he ate some breakfast, but about 2 hours later he was out of sorts.

The vet gave gut mobility meds and pain killers because his gut was sounding sluggish and said to keep an eye on him. He's taken a couple of treats since, but he's not eaten any dinner, had any hay or produced any poos yet (vet trip was at 11am) - I'm starting to wonder if I should dig out the Critical care?

Is there anything else I could try feeding him? Or just give him more time?

Last edited:
Billy started to develop stasis this morning - he ate some breakfast, but about 2 hours later he was out of sorts.

The vet gave gut mobility meds and pain killers because his gut was sounding sluggish and said to keep an eye on him. He's taken a couple of treats since, but he's not eaten any dinner, had any hay or produced any poos yet (vet trip was at 11am) - I'm starting to wonder if I should dig out the Critical care?

Is there anything else I could try feeding him? Or just give him more time?

I would suggest some coriander, parsley or dill waved underneath the nose :) I often crush it a bit to release the aroma, and even tickle them with it so they grasp it with their teeth.

Rose leaves and fresh picked grass also go down well with my lot.

Good luck :)

I'm sorry that Billy is not eating properly. Have you been given some more medication to continue at home? It's usually necessary to continue with the pain relief and gut meds for at least a couple of days. How is he in himself? Is he moving about or looking as though he's in pain?

I would also try the strong-smelling herbs and other foods that MM has suggested. They often work well. If they don't then I think I would contact the vet again for advice. But yes, I think that if the vet has ruled out a blockage, you will need to be considering syringe-feeding.

I would suggest some coriander, parsley or dill waved underneath the nose :) I often crush it a bit to release the aroma, and even tickle them with it so they grasp it with their teeth.

Rose leaves and fresh picked grass also go down well with my lot.

Good luck :)

Oh good shout! My herbs are looking quite sorry for themselves after the heat, but he nommed on some thyme and strawberry leaves. I might pop to Tesco for some other herbs.

Oh good shout! My herbs are looking quite sorry for themselves after the heat, but he nommed on some thyme and strawberry leaves. I might pop to Tesco for some other herbs.

I am growing strawberry leaves (and the odd strawberry) just for the rabbits. Thank you for reminding me that they are good in times of stasis!

Hope you manage to find some herbs to help out tonight :)

I'm sorry that Billy is not eating properly. Have you been given some more medication to continue at home? It's usually necessary to continue with the pain relief and gut meds for at least a couple of days. How is he in himself? Is he moving about or looking as though he's in pain?

I would also try the strong-smelling herbs and other foods that MM has suggested. They often work well. If they don't then I think I would contact the vet again for advice. But yes, I think that if the vet has ruled out a blockage, you will need to be considering syringe-feeding.

We caught it so early, it didn't really have time to turn into full on stasis, so she didn't think I'd need to continue care at home. I probably will top up with some metacam tomorrow though. I still have gut meds and critical care feed from last time if I need it too.

He was pretty lively at the vets (he needed 2 of us to restrain him for medicine!) and he's moving around a little at home. The only sign of pain was his aggression really - that's eased off at least!

Update- moved his litter tray over to him about 5 mins ago in case he just wasn't wanting to make the trip - he's just passed a long string of poos stuck together with fur - think we found the problem!

Worst of the panic over - thanks guys! Mostly bunny hypochondria :lol: now I just need him to eat hay and pellets and we're fine :)

Update- moved his litter tray over to him about 5 mins ago in case he just wasn't wanting to make the trip - he's just passed a long string of poos stuck together with fur - think we found the problem!

Worst of the panic over - thanks guys! Mostly bunny hypochondria :lol: now I just need him to eat hay and pellets and we're fine :)

A step in the right direction :thumb:

Hope he eats hay and poos and then you can relax tonight :)

How's Billy doing this morning?

He's eaten some pellets and hay, but not at full appetite yet... He and Poppy had a massive fight though, poor Poppy is very shaken. Billy gets very aggressive/territorial when he's ill. They're in time-out now (separate rooms) and Billy got a dose of Metacam.

He's eaten some pellets and hay, but not at full appetite yet... He and Poppy had a massive fight though, poor Poppy is very shaken. Billy gets very aggressive/territorial when he's ill. They're in time-out now (separate rooms) and Billy got a dose of Metacam.

Sorry to hear you've had to separate. Poor buns. Poor you!

When do you think you'll get them together again?

We have let them back together for a little while now - any hint of another squabble and I'll keep them apart for a few days.

We went through this at Christmas, it took 4 weeks to get them to be friends again :( he's nothing like as ill this time at least.

Billy is tummy pressing and refusing treats again, I think his stasis is back :(

Again, he ate breakfast no problem, but he's got that slightly deranged look in his eye that I associate with pain, and is lying down flat at every chance. He's only been like this for 30 mins, but I'm going to get him to the vet, just waiting on a call back.

Billy is tummy pressing and refusing treats again, I think his stasis is back :(

Again, he ate breakfast no problem, but he's got that slightly deranged look in his eye that I associate with pain, and is lying down flat at every chance. He's only been like this for 30 mins, but I'm going to get him to the vet, just waiting on a call back.

Oh no, so sorry!

Will the vet check his teeth? I can't remember if that might be an issue for him?

Oh no, so sorry!

Will the vet check his teeth? I can't remember if that might be an issue for him?

They only checked his belly last week, nothing else. He's moulting a lot at the moment, I suspect that's the reason.

They only checked his belly last week, nothing else. He's moulting a lot at the moment, I suspect that's the reason.

Is he eating plenty of fibre? Fibafirst sticks are high in fibre if he's gone off hay.

Fresh leafy greens, all wet? Lots of moisture, fresh leafies and fibre ......

I hope he's OK x

Back