• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newly bonded pair: Different dietary needs!

hoppin_mad

Young Bun
Hi,

I was wondering how you all manage a bonded pair with different dietary needs.

My boy Chester is prone to weightloss (this has been discussed with the vet) so I feed him Excel Junior pellets so he can benefit from a higher protein content.

For ease, I slowly transitioned his partner onto the same pellets (I just feed her less of it), however I am finding that she is producing a large number of uneaten caecotropes which I can only imagine is due to the high protein content.

They are both incredibly greedy. I feed them at different ends of their house but as soon as my girl finishes, she has her head in Chester's bowl.

Am I better of transitioning them both onto a different feed that they can both tolerate and perhaps supplement Chester's food with something else to maintain his weight? Or should I be feeding them completely different diets.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS. They have endless access to a combination of timothy and oat hay.

It's difficult isn't it?!
My rabbit Sylar is on a pellet free diet and his bonded friend needs pellets because he's a skinny boy. We have to feed them separately now because Sy would charge at Hiro and because he has balance issues (head tilt) he would knock him over :roll: I just wait until they are in different rooms and then shut the door. I give Hiro his pellets and my o/h gives Sy some dried forage so he doesn't feel like he's missing out!

It's difficult isn't it?!
My rabbit Sylar is on a pellet free diet and his bonded friend needs pellets because he's a skinny boy. We have to feed them separately now because Sy would charge at Hiro and because he has balance issues (head tilt) he would knock him over :roll: I just wait until they are in different rooms and then shut the door. I give Hiro his pellets and my o/h gives Sy some dried forage so he doesn't feel like he's missing out!

This is what we do with our 2 :lol:

Ari is extremely skinny and now requires a diet which is high in sugar atm.
Mr T who is usually sweet man gets very angry & grunts & bites us if she's getting & he isn't so as roxy said give the other something so they don't think they're missing out :lol:

Back