• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this red wee or blood?

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Help just got home from work and found this on the bunnies blanket!

Is this blood or wee?

Or both?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
998dc98c4606d8b60a5e23d4f7242e69.jpg

From a photo it's not possible to say for sure, but it looks more like blood to me. Could the Rabbit have torn a claw or does he/she have a sore hock ?

Help just got home from work and found this on the bunnies blanket!

Is this blood or wee?

Or both?

998dc98c4606d8b60a5e23d4f7242e69.jpg

Oh sorry to see this :(

It looks a bit like blood to me ... could Pip or Archie have caught a claw and maybe ripped it off?
That sort of thing causes a lot of blood like that.

From a photo it's not possible to say for sure, but it looks more like blood to me. Could the Rabbit have torn a claw or does he/she have a sore hock ?
Ok Pip has just done a wee and it's not red at all.

It's really hard to see if she's had blood on her cos she's so black.

Archie seems to have all his claws, Pippin is doing her very best to avoid me!

Ok Pip has just done a wee and it's not red at all.

It's really hard to see if she's had blood on her cos she's so black.

Archie seems to have all his claws, Pippin is doing her very best to avoid me!

It looks way too much to be blood from a urinary tract infection. It's those pesky nails that seem to bleed the most!

Good luck in catching Pippin :)

It looks way too much to be blood from a urinary tract infection. It's those pesky nails that seem to bleed the most!

Good luck in catching Pippin :)
Don't suppose you want to pop over and catch her do you. Lol

If it were from wee, you'd probably find that not every wee was like that. Because of the weight of blood, you don't tend to get it evenly dispersed within urine, if that makes sense. But, unless you also see evidence of urine within the stain, it could just as easily be from something else.

If it were from wee, you'd probably find that not every wee was like that. Because of the weight of blood, you don't tend to get it evenly dispersed within urine, if that makes sense. But, unless you also see evidence of urine within the stain, it could just as easily be from something else.
Ok. We're going to keep an eye on them for a couple of hours and see what happens. Our ER vet is the same price no matter what the hour so we can always go layer if needed.

First going to check her nails if I can!

Edit.....it doesn't smell like wee.

Last edited:
It's definitely not a sore hock on either of them, so I can rule that out.

Archie claws are all good

Pip has let me check one foot!

Ps Thank you all for helping

It's definitely not a sore hock on either of them, so I can rule that out.

Archie claws are all good

Pip has let me check one foot!

Ps Thank you all for helping

Gracious, it would have to be a *terrible* sore hock to produce all that amount of blood! :shock: So glad that's not the case!

I don't think we've helped you ... yet!

Pip - go and get your feet checked, naughty bunneh :roll:

I'd tend towards bleeding from somewhere else. It's the right amount for a torn nail Good thought to check the other rabbit.:thumb:
If it's blood it should go darker until black as it dries out.
The easiest way to distinguish between blood & red wee is to take a piece of cloth where the red fluid is to the vet. Maybe remove the litter tray & put a towel with plastic under for them to wee on.
As long as the cloth is still damp the vet can use a simple dip stick on wet cloth to distinguish the 2

I think I've found the offending claw! She won't let me touch it, but i got a photo whist she was eating a hay cookie!

It looks a bit torn to me and red and perhaps the wrong angle. I think this one has always stuck out a bit so perhaps she caught it?

52f4041ea1f230fae419bfe7dc78b888.jpg

I think I've found the offending claw! She won't let me touch it, but i got a photo whist she was eating a hay cookie!

It looks a bit torn to me and red and perhaps the wrong angle. I think this one has always stuck out a bit so perhaps she caught it?

52f4041ea1f230fae419bfe7dc78b888.jpg

Clever you! :)

Hopefully mystery solved!

I'd tend towards bleeding from somewhere else. It's the right amount for a torn nail Good thought to check the other rabbit.:thumb:
The easiest way to distinguish between blood & red wee is to take a piece of cloth where the red fluid is to the vet. Maybe remove the litter tray & put a towel with plastic under for them to wee on.
As long as the cloth is still damp the vet can use a simple dip stick on wet cloth to distinguish the 2

Agree :thumb:

I had cause to take a very poorly bun to the vet a few weeks ago. In our desperation to find out what was going on, he wee'd on the table and the vet immediately got a dipstick and pressed into the towel to get a reading.

Clever you! :)

Hopefully mystery solved!
Hah thanks. I think it's more clever her. She only sits still if I give her food! Lol.

Well still keep am eye on them both just in case it wasn't that. We've cleaned the litter tray out so it's easier to see.

Ok this sounds like a good idea if we need to get it checked. We've put a new blanket down just in case

Back