• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilting head when eating 2-10: feeling better =)

Is hay more difficult to eat than grass? Because Casper's eating his grass really well, but he's still barely touching his hay. I've only seen him eat hay twice since his dental, and that was only a little bit. I think something might still be bothering him.

Idk I haven’t tried eating either of them ;):lol: I think sometimes with teeth/ulcers or other mouth issues it must be the texture or the eating action required that makes some foods more palatable or not before and after dentals. Did he have any soft tissue damage? I think he’s on metacam is he? I’m pretty sure I’ve read that eating grass should wear down the teeth as well as hay but they do need to be eating plenty of it I suppose. Topping up the vibes xx

Primrose used to prefer her fresh stuff after a dental and the hay was always the last thing she went back to. I used to get a different type to tempt her, like meadow or orchard and gift her a little handful every so often.

I always wondered if hay needed more chewing etc or if fresh is comfier because its a bit wet.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

All mine have always preferred grass really, I just need to drum it into the OH to pick some when he's getting the shrubby stuff! It might be that the water content is helping soothe something, or just that it's not digging into sore bits :)

Thank you for your replies, everyone. :love:

Idk I haven’t tried eating either of them ;):lol: I think sometimes with teeth/ulcers or other mouth issues it must be the texture or the eating action required that makes some foods more palatable or not before and after dentals. Did he have any soft tissue damage? I think he’s on metacam is he? I’m pretty sure I’ve read that eating grass should wear down the teeth as well as hay but they do need to be eating plenty of it I suppose. Topping up the vibes xx
:lol: Maybe I should try? ;):lol: What you say makes a lot of sense. Grass does seem a lot softer than hay? He didn't have any soft tissue damage before the dental, and they didn't say he had any afterwards, so I'm assuming he doesn't. But, yes, he is on Metacam. If I could grow enough grass to keep him going I guess it wouldn't be such a problem, but, yeah, he'd need to eat plenty of it, and I don't have enough space to grow that much, so he'll still need to eat hay... Thank you for the vibes. I really appreciate them. :)

Grass is just as good as hay and the silica content of grass is excellent for Dental attrition
Ah, that's good to know.

Primrose used to prefer her fresh stuff after a dental and the hay was always the last thing she went back to. I used to get a different type to tempt her, like meadow or orchard and gift her a little handful every so often.

I always wondered if hay needed more chewing etc or if fresh is comfier because its a bit wet.

Yes, I'm wondering those same things... Casper's the same as Primrose was; he'll eat fresh stuff first after a dental, and hay is the last thing. He doesn't seem to be there yet, though. I keep offering him hay, but he's not interested.

All mine have always preferred grass really, I just need to drum it into the OH to pick some when he's getting the shrubby stuff! It might be that the water content is helping soothe something, or just that it's not digging into sore bits :)
Grass does seem nicer to eat than hay, really, doesn't it? But that makes sense, yes, that the water content might be soothing, or that it doesn't dig into sore bits like hay would. Hay must be uncomfortable to eat if you have a sore mouth, now that I think about it...

I've been feeling terrible because of my ME all week, so I've been quiet, but I wanted to give a little update and say that Casper is still barely touching his hay. He's happy and active and doesn't act like something's bothering him, and he's eating everything else just fine, but I see him eat only a few strands of hay per day at most. So, I think I'll call the vets on Monday and see if they can check if something else in his mouth/head is still bothering him. I don't think I'll be able to go myself, but hopefully my dad can take him and I can talk with the vet over the phone, like we've done in the past.

I'm on vacation so I can't be very interested in the forum. I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm sending too many vibrations for Casper. Xxxxxxx :(

I'm sorry you've been feeling so rubbish this week :( Hoping you'll be feeling better. I'm sorry Casper isn't eating much hay atm. are his poops ok?

I'm sorry you and Casper are struggling. Sending lots for vibes.

Casper might need a longer course of dental painkillers maybe?

I'm sorry you are struggling with ME at the moment. Is Casper eating grass? If he is and his poops are fine, I wouldn't stress about it too much I don't think. Is his weight OK?

Thank you all so much for caring about Casper and me. I really appreciate it a lot. :love: I'm sorry for the late reply; I'm still having a really hard time with my ME. Casper's still barely eating hay, but he has a vet appointment this afternoon, so we'll see if they can find a reason for it. J&B, his poops are... well, most of them are a normal size, but there are tiny ones, and there a lot of double ones and oval ones and tear-shaped ones or otherwise misshapen ones. I'm guessing it's because of the lack of fibre...? He's still getting his daily Metacam, CarelessSquid07, so he shouldn't be in pain, hopefully, but I think it must be uncomfortable for him to eat hay for some reason. And, Omi, he gets a handful of grass every day (I can't grow enough to give him more than that), and he eats that, though he often leaves some for later instead of eating it all right away like he normally does. His weight is stable, thankfully. Still, if he doesn't eat more hay (since I can't give him more grass), his spurs are going to be back in no time. :(

Sorry, I can't remember whether this has been discussed before, but can you get Readigrass and will he eat it?

Lots of vibes for his vet appointment and some also for you.

I hope you can keep his weight stable. He may need some motility meds if his gut is sluggish from lack of fiber, or you could try giving him critical care to stimulate gut movement. Sending you and Casper more vibes.

Thank you so much for the vibes, everyone. :love:

Omi, I haven't found a store here that sells Readigrass, but I have some stuff that's basically the same as far as I can tell, but from a different brand. He eats some of it, but he doesn't love it, sadly.

The vet appointment went okay. I got the impression that the vet was a bit annoyed with me for asking them to check Casper again. :oops: He couldn't find anything in Casper's mouth and was sure his problems eating hay are because of his tooth roots hurting him. He said it's not that bad if Casper won't eat hay and that I can just give him lots of greens instead, as long as they're low in sugar and high in fibre, and that the important thing is that he eats something, and it doesn't really matter whether that's hay or something else. He said that hay is such a popular thing to feed rabbits because you can get big bag for very little money (I guess he has never seen the amount of money I've spent on hay...), but that it's not actually better for them than other food (which kind of goes against everything I've ever read about bunny diets? But I'm not a vet), and so it's fine if he doesn't eat any. So, I'll see what kind of greens are high in fibre...

Casper's poops were pretty small today, and the vet checked his belly and said there wasn't enough movement, so he has Emeprid and Ciseral (good call, bunny momma), and the vet said to raise his Metacam dosage and see if that makes a difference. The meds might encourage him to start eating hay again, but the vet seemed to think it's very likely that this will just be the new normal for Casper, and that his dental disease has just progressed too far for him to comfortably eat hay anymore. He also mentioned several times that his dental disease is most likely what will end Casper's life, but that it's impossible to say if that'll be next year or next week. That's not news to me, but the vet could've been a bit more gentle about it...

This is the first time I've heard about hay, because I've heard that hay is always the best choice for your rabbit's digestive system and teeth. But what the vet says is also very important.
You never mind if the vet gets bit at you. The important thing is that you and Casper get the right information and help. Don't mind the vet's bit.
I'm also really sorry about what I heard. :( I expected the vet to be more sensitive. I hope Casper surprises everyone and lives a long, healthy life. Xxxxx :(

Thank you so much for the vibes, everyone. :love:

Omi, I haven't found a store here that sells Readigrass, but I have some stuff that's basically the same as far as I can tell, but from a different brand. He eats some of it, but he doesn't love it, sadly.

The vet appointment went okay. I got the impression that the vet was a bit annoyed with me for asking them to check Casper again. :oops: He couldn't find anything in Casper's mouth and was sure his problems eating hay are because of his tooth roots hurting him. He said it's not that bad if Casper won't eat hay and that I can just give him lots of greens instead, as long as they're low in sugar and high in fibre, and that the important thing is that he eats something, and it doesn't really matter whether that's hay or something else. He said that hay is such a popular thing to feed rabbits because you can get big bag for very little money (I guess he has never seen the amount of money I've spent on hay...), but that it's not actually better for them than other food (which kind of goes against everything I've ever read about bunny diets? But I'm not a vet), and so it's fine if he doesn't eat any. So, I'll see what kind of greens are high in fibre...

Casper's poops were pretty small today, and the vet checked his belly and said there wasn't enough movement, so he has Emeprid and Ciseral (good call, bunny momma), and the vet said to raise his Metacam dosage and see if that makes a difference. The meds might encourage him to start eating hay again, but the vet seemed to think it's very likely that this will just be the new normal for Casper, and that his dental disease has just progressed too far for him to comfortably eat hay anymore. He also mentioned several times that his dental disease is most likely what will end Casper's life, but that it's impossible to say if that'll be next year or next week. That's not news to me, but the vet could've been a bit more gentle about it...

I've has a similar attitude before I agree its harsh - i do understand the need to manage expectations but still... I would take some reassurance from being told he can manage without hay though. Hay has been a tiny part of Mouses diet for 2 years - ok her poops aren't great but she can obviously keep going on it. When I've looked in to Mouses diet the fibre is hugely variable is rabbit greens (wild & shop bought). It might be worth looking into what greens he will eat that will also meet his fibre needs as far as possible

Lots of get vibes for Casper :love:

I’m sorry the vet wasn’t more tactful:cry: sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Will he eat fibafirst sticks or dried forage at all? You might be able to find something similar to readigrass in a horse feed place.

Back