• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building A Run (Photo Diary) - Updated

snaisby

Warren Scout
When I found Otto as a stray way back in August 2009, my friends and I built a 6 x 3ft arc run for him out of the back of an old wardrobe and mesh (sounds awful but actually worked really well!). He and Bluebell still use that run when I come home for the holidays, but it got crushed by the ridiculous amount of snow this winter and never really recovered. So this week my Dad and I have been building them a new grass run from the bits of an old trellis seat in the garden :) hooray for more recycling lol! It's progressed loads so I thought i'd show pics so far, and show how its been built in case it helps anyone thinking of making a run :wave:

Started off with the green rectangular trellis thing in the centre-left of this pic:
3a998374.jpg

Unscrewed all the bits and ended up with lots of long pieces of wood. Cut some of them in half to make the short sides. Mitre cut all the ends (45 degree angle) to make the panels more sturdy. Here's the 'work area' (patio :lol:) with the bits laid out:
d7bcdc42.jpg

My cat supervising:
39b7fe3f.jpg

Cleaned off the years of algae, screwed and glued the wood into 4 frames for the sides:
d35a2e79.jpg

Rabbits observing the proceedings from old run + guinea pig run (have to add that on or can't get in to catch them!)
dab7f696.jpg

Next, cannibalised the old run for wire mesh:
51c737ce.jpg

Rabbits still waiting patiently in their much reduced run area
5318cd2c.jpg

"Hurry up human!" (Excuse his shocking moult line!)
5de8bb40.jpg

Panels finally meshed and bolted together. Measures just shy of 8 x 4ft, 2ft high :D
3e1d9a2d.jpg

Add bunnies to test:
c0828488.jpg

Weeeee!
3510434d.jpg

And this is where its up to now with temp roof, the big sheet of plastic will be cut into panels tomorrow to make the proper roof, I plan to have them inset into the top so i can just lift them off.
e4499622.jpg

Will update when it is all finishd :D hope that someone made it to the end of this epic post lol!

Last edited:
Amazing! It looks fab, you lost me at mitre and 45 degree angles though :oops::oops::lol: when we move i'm going to extend Joejoe&jessies run, but think i might have to buy it though as my DIY skills aren't up to much and nor are my OH's (his toolkit consists of superglue :lol::lol:) I;m really impressed with yours, bet the buns love it :wave:

Heh thanks guys :) it's finished now, update very shortly.

paulinejoe said:
you lost me at mitre and 45 degree angles :oops::oops::lol: when we move i'm going to extend Joejoe&jessies run, but think i might have to buy it though as my DIY skills aren't up to much and nor are my OH's

lol a mitre joint is a joint where the ends are cut at 45 degrees so they fit together like this:

8ade430b.jpg

ah go on, have a go at extending the run yourselves :D if i can do DIY anyone can honest, i'm a 24 yr old girl! you just need to borrow the right tools! :wave:

The run is finished :D roof done, pics:

Recycling another bit of the trellis seat:
719db122.jpg

Knocked it all apart with a hammer (i stood on a rusty nail at this point :( ow) and cleaned it up
27b75dcf.jpg

Took a loooong bit of the old conservatory roof plastic
79232749.jpg

Cut it up with a jigsaw (fun :D)
472fd80b.jpg

Used the thin bits of wood to make a 'lip' around the edge of the run, then inset the plastic panels into it
6a6eb66c.jpg

Hinged the middle of the roof and added rope handles for opening it and for dragging it around the lawn - et voila!
f93f21f1.jpg

59f9f43f.jpg

Excuse my family in the background lol!
ef27e33b.jpg

Apparently it meets Otto's comfort standards :lol:
d6d38af3.jpg

Really pleased with how its turned out, it has already been rained on and stayed lovely and waterproof!

Love it....:D
I KNOW exactly what you mean about having a go yourself :D:thumb: Especially if you're starting out from scratch with little or no learning in this sort of craft. I love the little comments you've put like with the jig saw....'cos that's exactly where I'm coming from when I go on about my home made contraptions :lol:,hopefully encouraging those who can to have ago....top class :D

ps:- bought my first jigsaw a couple of months ago but am scared of it,:evil:, it has no 'neutral' -which I didn't realise at the time, and scared the :censored: out of me when I accidentally touched the 'go' trigger! now I have a mantra when I use it to unplug immediately!

Love it....:D
I KNOW exactly what you mean about having a go yourself :D:thumb: Especially if you're starting out from scratch with little or no learning in this sort of craft. I love the little comments you've put like with the jig saw....'cos that's exactly where I'm coming from when I go on about my home made contraptions :lol:,hopefully encouraging those who can to have ago....top class :D

ps:- bought my first jigsaw a couple of months ago but am scared of it,:evil:, it has no 'neutral' -which I didn't realise at the time, and scared the :censored: out of me when I accidentally touched the 'go' trigger! now I have a mantra when I use it to unplug immediately!

Hehe it's so much fun isn't it! Although a little scary at times, when i was using the electric mitre saw i was thinking how easy it would be to slice off a thumb :shock:the sense of satisfaction when you have made something is fab, it doesn't need to be shiny and perfect, it's still a great achievement!

Back