• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I be concerned...

loobers25

Warren Veteran
This is the first time I have seen Dennis pee on the floor and was suprised by the colour. He's never been in that pen before so thought it might be a territorial thing. He gets more "treats" than Toby as he is older and more fussy. For example yesterday I gave him two pieces or dehydrated carrot with his forage. My mum says not to worry but I thought I would check. Can carrot change the colour? It's the only colourful thing he's had. It's not sludgy when wiped up its just liquid. Thoughts?
1f89744d54f450893b1b11b99229986d.jpg
5045d97f825e375884797f9872a079b6.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Should note I have never seen the colour of his pee before as I use hay which us hard to tell the colour before

I'd say thats normal - it could be forage rather than carrots, bright orange & red wee is normal here

I would not be at all concerned by this. Plant pigments will cause the urine to be various colours from quite pale to the dark orangey-brown that you have got there. Dandelions will produce this colour, but also other forage items will do the same.

The reason he's produced it on the floor is, as you say, probably territorial.

ETA I've just re-read your post. Dennis is more fussy than Toby :shock: But Toby doesn't eat anything fresh :lol:

Last edited:
It may well be just carrot colour wee. See what it is like tomorrow without giving him any more carrot. Some vegetables and greens do pass colour through. Dandelions often cause urine to become much darker. I wouldn't be worried.

This is the first time I have seen Dennis pee on the floor and was suprised by the colour. He's never been in that pen before so thought it might be a territorial thing. He gets more "treats" than Toby as he is older and more fussy. For example yesterday I gave him two pieces or dehydrated carrot with his forage. My mum says not to worry but I thought I would check. Can carrot change the colour? It's the only colourful thing he's had. It's not sludgy when wiped up its just liquid. Thoughts?
1f89744d54f450893b1b11b99229986d.jpg
5045d97f825e375884797f9872a079b6.jpg

Hi Loobers - it is fine I am sure!
I wouldn't worry.

Plant pigments can have this effect on urine.

https://rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

Thanks everyone. I thought I would check just in case but unless they pee on the floor it's really hard to see in the hay what colour it is.

And your right omi no bun Is fussier than Toby. Lawdy.

Would you believe me if I said I foraged some plaintan, dried it out and offered it to Toby. Toby turnt his nose up. So husband for a laugh got some hay expert plaintan and rubbed it all over the forage piece of plaintan. I laughed but then Toby ate it. My lawdy what is up with this bun

Thanks everyone. I thought I would check just in case but unless they pee on the floor it's really hard to see in the hay what colour it is.

And your right omi no bun Is fussier than Toby. Lawdy.

Would you believe me if I said I foraged some plaintan, dried it out and offered it to Toby. Toby turnt his nose up. So husband for a laugh got some hay expert plaintan and rubbed it all over the forage piece of plaintan. I laughed but then Toby ate it. My lawdy what is up with this bun

My goodness what a boy!

You'll be asking the manufacturer how they dry it soon, and copying their methods to get it 'just right' for Toby :lol:

My goodness what a boy!

You'll be asking the manufacturer how they dry it soon, and copying their methods to get it 'just right' for Toby [emoji38]
MM i really am going to have to ask their secret! I always wondered where they get all their forage and how they dry it.

Would you believe me if I said I foraged some plaintan, dried it out and offered it to Toby. Toby turnt his nose up. So husband for a laugh got some hay expert plaintan and rubbed it all over the forage piece of plaintan. I laughed but then Toby ate it.
I believe it :lol: I've got a few fussy ones myself, it's amazing how they know what they want :roll:
I'd like to know how they can take a batch of hay and sift the greener pieces and browner pieces so that when you go back a few hours later the green strands are gone and the brown strands are perfectly sorted to be discarded :roll:

Also I see you fell for Asda's 'we've put a bunny on something so you must buy it' strategy :p We've got the same plates :lol:
I'm sure it's a conspiracy, Asda are doing so many bunny things lately.. I'm sure it's just because they know I have to buy it..

Just to add to what everyone else has said I've seen this colour plenty of times, it's always turned out to be pigment :D
The pink/red cornflowers that they love so much seem to be the scariest :lol:

Last edited:
What they eat can and does change the colour of their wee, sometimes rather alarmingly :lol:.

99.9% of the time it's fine :thumb:

In Coco's case it wasn't and we had to have her tested for a variety of things and her tests have now come back showing that she does indeed have blood in her wee BUT it's such a minuscule amount that the exotic vet isn't worried and unless she deteriorates in her general health and behaviour, she's basically been discharged.

So what I'm trying to say is; keep an eye on it. If it continues to be red but he's had nothing to eat that would change the colour of it then you may need to seek veterinary advice. But even with investigations it could very well prove to be nothing sinister - such in the case of Coco. And just as an aside, she has had red wee since December last year, and still has it more often than not, but basically there's nothing wrong with her that they can find; she just has red wee with a teeny tiny amount of blood in it, don't know why though! They've tested for all sorts, x-rays etc, everything is working as it should. Even the exotic vet doesn't know why.

Back