• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excessive humping - new issue - page 4

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
Billy and Poppy have been in boarding for a few nights, and got home yesterday. As soon as he'd recovered from the car journey, Billy started humping Poppy and we were pulling him off her every 5 minutes. In the night, we eventually decided to shut them in different rooms, because Poppy wasn't getting any rest (and neither were we). I think I'll have to keep them apart while we're at work today too...

Is there anything I can do to stop it? I hope it's just because she smells a bit like the boarding place, but is it a potential sign of illness? Both ate, pood and drank well last night.

Last edited:
Ours were quite humpy when they came back from boarding because they were overexcited about being back in their familiar space, but it wasn't that bad! Can't offer any decent advice, but best of luck getting it sorted!

Ours were quite humpy when they came back from boarding because they were overexcited about being back in their familiar space, but it wasn't that bad! Can't offer any decent advice, but best of luck getting it sorted!

Oh, this could be part of it. He was quite pleased to be home...

I agree - it's usually over excitement at being home again.

I hope you don't have to keep them separated for too long MiniC :)

That's a relief! I was getting quite worried this was a big dominance play that meant she was ill, or she smelled funny.

It's good news he likes his home so much though :)

I seem to remember someone posted about using Bach's rescue remedy to calm their buns - might be worth looking into?

I've used the Bach's rescue remedy myself - it is pretty good, but I've no idea if its effects are just placebo. I bought the pet remedy plug in a while ago, but I've not had much use for it. It smells pretty potent!

Billy is still at it, just a little less. The rescue remedy hasn't helped that much.

We just noticed Poppy has a fairly big bald spot on her back but her fur is so thick, it was hidden. There's a big scab there, and it looks like it's been there a few days - poor thing! It's awful we didn't spot it until now...

Billy is still at it, just a little less. The rescue remedy hasn't helped that much.

We just noticed Poppy has a fairly big bald spot on her back but her fur is so thick, it was hidden. There's a big scab there, and it looks like it's been there a few days - poor thing! It's awful we didn't spot it until now...

Oh dear I'm sorry to hear that. Poor we thing.

What will you do? Separate them?

Oh dear I'm sorry to hear that. Poor we thing.

What will you do? Separate them?

We've worked out it's basically where Billy is holding on with his teeth while humping.

We separated them the last few nights, but we let them have their evenings together while we were there to supervise and pull him off, I think I'll give them 1 more day like that before separating them properly if there's no improvement.

We also tested them out to see if they could get through a work day ok, but I think we'll separate them for today.

We've worked out it's basically where Billy is holding on with his teeth while humping.

We separated them the last few nights, but we let them have their evenings together while we were there to supervise and pull him off, I think I'll give them 1 more day like that before separating them properly if there's no improvement.

We also tested them out to see if they could get through a work day ok, but I think we'll separate them for today.

Yes I thought that might be the cause of fur loss. But I'm surprised it's still going on MiniC. Bit depressing to have to part them.

Yes I thought that might be the cause of fur loss. But I'm surprised it's still going on MiniC. Bit depressing to have to part them.

Me too! I hoped he'd at least have stopped doing it as often. She's probably in a huff with him and not grooming as much as he wants.

I'll get him a few new toys to distract him...

Wow .. this is happening to mine right now.

Rufus and Luna are two Netherland Dwarf bunnies and are well and truly bonded.

They have recently come back from a 16 night stay in a "Hotel" and he is being such a b****r ... Poor Luna! Thankfully she has escape in the day as their run is really large, but at night I am having to separate them. He's coming into the indoor cage in the garage because I feel he should think the outdoor cage is more her domain rather than is, but it's a devil when you have to go out and buy a separate cage after being together for three years.

Funnily enough she has stopped grooming him and puts her head down to be groomed but then snubs him ... lol

So .. I also have a rampant rabbit.

Wow .. this is happening to mine right now.

Rufus and Luna are two Netherland Dwarf bunnies and are well and truly bonded.

They have recently come back from a 16 night stay in a "Hotel" and he is being such a b****r ... Poor Luna! Thankfully she has escape in the day as their run is really large, but at night I am having to separate them. He's coming into the indoor cage in the garage because I feel he should think the outdoor cage is more her domain rather than is, but it's a devil when you have to go out and buy a separate cage after being together for three years.

Funnily enough she has stopped grooming him and puts her head down to be groomed but then snubs him ... lol

So .. I also have a rampant rabbit.

Yes, sounds so familiar! It might be the time of year is exacerbating things!

We are a touch better tonight, I bought Billy a new seagrass house and he LOVES seagrass houses. He's spent most of his evening in there, and has only bothered Poppy a few times.

Tomorrow I'm hoping B&Q will have some turf in so I can make him a digging box. As long as I can keep him occupied elsewhere, we might get through this!

Yes, sounds so familiar! It might be the time of year is exacerbating things!

We are a touch better tonight, I bought Billy a new seagrass house and he LOVES seagrass houses. He's spent most of his evening in there, and has only bothered Poppy a few times.

Tomorrow I'm hoping B&Q will have some turf in so I can make him a digging box. As long as I can keep him occupied elsewhere, we might get through this!

Grief what a lot of trouble you're having to go to!

You're so sweet to give him a seagrass house. What does it look like?

Back