• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Saw a wild bun run over:( *don't read if sensitive*

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
One of the nicest things about the call centre where I work is that there are loads of wild bunnies in the grounds.

Yesterday evening I was on a course and popped out for some fresh air in a break, noticed two bunnies on the verge. A range rover drove past - both bunnies ran across the road, one made it and the other didn't.

It started jerking and writhing around - it was horrible to see. Two of my colleagues came out and one of them suggested running the bun over again to stop its suffering. I couldn't do that myself but thought it may be the kindest thing to do. The bun stopped moving and one of the others went up to it and said it was still breathing. I faint at the sight of blood so hung back but thought we could try to find a local vet but then the bunny died. It sounds horrible but I was actually relieved.

I didn't want to leave the bun in the middle of the road to get run over again but the others said it could have horrible diseases and not to touch it. We looked for something to pick it up with but there was nothing around apart from a large piece of metal. I am not good with anything dead as it reminds me of when I found my Dad, even though that was in 1985, but it felt totally wrong to try to move the bun like that so I went and carefully lifted the body up. There was blood, but not an excessive amount. I put the body under a tree and stroked it and said a little prayer wishing the bun a safe journey to the Bridge. I knew it would probably get eaten by a fox later but there was no way of burying the bun so I had to leave it there.

I went back inside and told another colleague what had happened and she said 'It probably had myxo anyway' and had no understanding of why I was upset and shaken up.

I have never touched a wild bunny before and the fur was so soft and the bun's eyes were still both open. I can still see the image now and wish I could have done more. The road is within the grounds of the organisation and the car wasn't going fast - there are speed bumps - but I can't believe the driver just drove off, although one of the others said they may not have even realised they had hit one of the bunnies.

Vibes for a safe journey to Rainbow Bridge for the poor little bun would be appreciated. So, so sad :(:(

(((Rhianna)))

What a horrible experience. I am sorry you had to witness it :( Well done you, though, for giving it some dignity and letting it rest freely. Not may people would have. Not burying it may also have been best; if a predator does get it, that will save the life of a healthy, living bunny.

Running over an animal is always horrible. I hope this doesn't haunt you for too long though, and you can move forwards knowing you did all that you could :)

If the car was a Range Rover, the driver may not even have seen them: I drive a little Corsa and have difficulty seeing out of it to the sides and front due to the placement of the windscreen supports and being short. A Range Rover is that much taller, it's difficult to see things on pavements and verges next to it.

Best wishes :( You did your best :)

One of the nicest things about the call centre where I work is that there are loads of wild bunnies in the grounds.

Yesterday evening I was on a course and popped out for some fresh air in a break, noticed two bunnies on the verge. A range rover drove past - both bunnies ran across the road, one made it and the other didn't.

It started jerking and writhing around - it was horrible to see. Two of my colleagues came out and one of them suggested running the bun over again to stop its suffering. I couldn't do that myself but thought it may be the kindest thing to do. The bun stopped moving and one of the others went up to it and said it was still breathing. I faint at the sight of blood so hung back but thought we could try to find a local vet but then the bunny died. It sounds horrible but I was actually relieved.

I didn't want to leave the bun in the middle of the road to get run over again but the others said it could have horrible diseases and not to touch it. We looked for something to pick it up with but there was nothing around apart from a large piece of metal. I am not good with anything dead as it reminds me of when I found my Dad, even though that was in 1985, but it felt totally wrong to try to move the bun like that so I went and carefully lifted the body up. There was blood, but not an excessive amount. I put the body under a tree and stroked it and said a little prayer wishing the bun a safe journey to the Bridge. I knew it would probably get eaten by a fox later but there was no way of burying the bun so I had to leave it there.

I went back inside and told another colleague what had happened and she said 'It probably had myxo anyway' and had no understanding of why I was upset and shaken up.

I have never touched a wild bunny before and the fur was so soft and the bun's eyes were still both open. I can still see the image now and wish I could have done more. The road is within the grounds of the organisation and the car wasn't going fast - there are speed bumps - but I can't believe the driver just drove off, although one of the others said they may not have even realised they had hit one of the bunnies.

Vibes for a safe journey to Rainbow Bridge for the poor little bun would be appreciated. So, so sad :(:(

R.I.P. little one x

Working on the motorway, I attend all manner of animals that have been hit by vehicles. In this last 2 weeks alone I have dealt with 3 deer, 2 foxes, 2 cats and a swan - all dead! :(

I'm so sorry Rhianna. It's a horrid thing to witness and I feel so sad for you xx

It's unlikely the driver notice. I've hit a bunny before and only knew because I saw a flash of white as it ran out. (I had to go back to check if I had hit it, and to ensure it was dead).

Lots of safe passing vibes for the bunny.
You done such a kind thing to move him and provide him some respect.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back