• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Separation Anxiety?

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello Everyone

I hope someone has some useful advice to share.

Our rescue bun Teddy has just turned 3, and we’ve had him for 2 years. He’s a happy, inquisitive little bun and mostly quite content with life.

Until his Daddy has to work nightshift when Teddy becomes so stressed he gets soft tummy...

My partner works 4 days - 4 off - 4 nights, and has done for the entire time we’ve had Teddy. Over time, we have definitely noticed a pattern. He has the same food and same routines, and the only thing that changes is that Daddy isn’t in his bed.

Teddy is free range and chooses to sleep in our bedroom. He has a rug on Daddy’s side and a blanket on my side, and usually moves between the two.

I woke up to hear him grind his teeth, and then - as expected - he has had very soft poo.

Teddy & Daddy are very closely bonded, and Teddy likes to spend as much time as possible with his Daddy. But I can’t demand that OH changes his job..! The job pays for Teddy’s food, hay & treats, after all...

I hate to see the little fella so unhappy and I don’t know what to do.

We got him a female friend (Pepper) last Summer after his gf Cookie got sick. He has never taken to her and despite being the gentlest bun and loving everyone, he nips at her and chases her, so she lives in a different room with a gate (so they can at least sit next to each other).

Anyone had a similar problem?

I have a few ideas but I'm not very confident in them so will wait until someone else has suggested things. We will leave mine as a last resort x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I don't really have any suggestions... But one of my bunnies gets very upset when she can't be around me - she's the only rabbit I've ever heard cry when she's not in terrible pain... But when I have to put her in her cage (not for long) she cries and cries and as soon as I open it jumps on me. Never had the poo issue. But my mum said that she was constantly looking for me the other weekend when I was away. Im definitely very close with her more so than my other bunnies - one of my other females gets super excited when I walk in the room but doesn't mind too much when I leave. Not too sure what to suggest, maybe bonding him with another bunny could alleviate it? I know you've tried, maybe a rescue could help? :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I have a few ideas but I'm not very confident in them so will wait until someone else has suggested things. We will leave mine as a last resort x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I’d be very interested to hear even if you are not confident - anything that could help would be good... Last night I left OH’s used t-shirt on the floor by Teddy’s blanket, in case smelling it helps. I don’t know if it was the t-shirt, but his tummy was ok this morning.

I don't really have any suggestions... But one of my bunnies gets very upset when she can't be around me - she's the only rabbit I've ever heard cry when she's not in terrible pain... But when I have to put her in her cage (not for long) she cries and cries and as soon as I open it jumps on me. Never had the poo issue. But my mum said that she was constantly looking for me the other weekend when I was away. Im definitely very close with her more so than my other bunnies - one of my other females gets super excited when I walk in the room but doesn't mind too much when I leave. Not too sure what to suggest, maybe bonding him with another bunny could alleviate it? I know you've tried, maybe a rescue could help? :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply.

Rescuing another bun is unfortunately not a possibility, even if it is what I would like to do.

We have Bella & Bertie outside, firmly bonded. Teddy and Bella get on very well but Bertie doesn’t like Teddy, so a triad is out of the question.

Pepper lives in the spare room, where Teddy would be if/when he accepts her. He’s fine sitting next to her as long as we’re fussing over him - when we stop, he nips her (nothing too hard yet, but she’s wary but still wants to snuggle).

Teddy lives in our bedroom
and frontroom.

We don’t have space for another one (or two - as Pepper needs a friend).

We’re ok hopping over gates as it is, but ideally Teddy would bond with Pepper. Everyone, including us, would feel better...

Back