• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Love the whirlwinds :D So much more complicated with three! :lol:

I don't feed dock because it's a bit 'claggy', as in it can be mushed into a ball which could get stuck. They've always been fine with it though, just a personal choice as there's plenty else to feed mine around here! :thumb:

Got my guys a bouquet yesterday :lol:

HftQbNgCMcX2Xw1avIlrR2LJ9_Z5fOeMRCHGiNw40FwpX92IB

And found garlic mustard :thumb: LOADS of it!!
f7zsf7Z_j6aAlxzl9ZewgWjcYWY_FOsXN9TUKizh0uMpX92IB

Last edited:
Yep I feed dock too, I pick the younger leaves and avoid any that are getting red splodges :thumb:

Got my guys a bouquet yesterday :lol:

HftQbNgCMcX2Xw1avIlrR2LJ9_Z5fOeMRCHGiNw40FwpX92IB

And found garlic mustard :thumb: LOADS of it!!
f7zsf7Z_j6aAlxzl9ZewgWjcYWY_FOsXN9TUKizh0uMpX92IB

Your bouquet looks lovely :love:

Thank you for posting the pic of garlic mustard. I didn't know what that looked like.

Haven't seen any round here though ... What's it's normal habitat?

MM, here it's in abundance on the wasteland type area opposite my work among the brambles and dandelions ��

MM, here it's in abundance on the wasteland type area opposite my work among the brambles and dandelions ��

I've saved your photo, as it would seem I should be able to spot some in a similar patch here ...

Is the white at the top unopened flowers?

I'm very pleased with today's haul [emoji4]

Hawthorn, jack in the hedge, red and white dead nettle, plantain, dandelion, mallow, brambles, goose grass, cow parsley and bindweed [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very pleased with today's haul [emoji4]

Hawthorn, jack in the hedge, red and white dead nettle, plantain, dandelion, mallow, brambles, goose grass, cow parsley and bindweed [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh lovely!

We went on a long woods / forage walk it was wonderful.

Got yarrow, plantain (both) dandelions, white nettle, hawthorn, brambles, some other twiggy thing :lol:

Forgot to take my book, grr

Loads and loads of Garlic Mustard in the hedgerows here today. MM flowers look like this http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/garlic-mustard

Also found some Willowherb today. The leaves of the Common Hogweed are now becoming quite large. They look hollow. I was watching the rabbits eating the various types of forage today and they definitely were favouring the thickish stems of the Hogweed. I found this surprising as usually I find that leaves take preference over stems. There's definitely more Hogweed around this year :D

ETA I mean that the stems of the Hogweed look hollow !

Last edited:
Loads and loads of Garlic Mustard in the hedgerows here today. MM flowers look like this http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/garlic-mustard

Also found some Willowherb today. The leaves of the Common Hogweed are now becoming quite large. They look hollow. I was watching the rabbits eating the various types of forage today and they definitely were favouring the thickish stems of the Hogweed. I found this surprising as usually I find that leaves take preference over stems. There's definitely more Hogweed around this year :D

Thanks Omi :thumb:

I don't think I've seen any. However, from a distance I may have mistaken some for white dead nettle.
I'll have a closer look now :)

i saw one garlic mustard in flower yesterday, but none of the others were flowering. Ive found that a lot of the hawthorn seems early to have loads of flowers growing. Herb robert has started to flower too. Mine seem to prefer the hogweed when its yound leaves that when its big. They are loving the mallow and i even found a patch of strawberry leaves the other day. Hazel leaves are growing quite big here and one of the willows too. Ive still not been brave enough to get the blackthorn. Im going to look a some pics of that in a minute. Ive took pics on my camera which i will upload soon.

can anyone tell if this is blackthorn please
DSCN1605_zpsunynwa38.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1606_zpsiresxnwr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1607_zpskm5rlrjm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] can anyone verify that this is meadowsweet
DSCN1599_zps69awxsvk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1600_zpsbduslj9p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]dont know what this is
DSCN1593_zps9omuqbk8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1592_zpso0ugviuc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] or this either
DSCN1604_zpsb444w55d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1603_zpsqjpmwgdy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry w&s, I can't help you.

Have a little tale for you all though...

I just ran out of pre-foraged food and hadn't fed Arce and Yuki yet. I cobbled together what I could from the garden: some bramble, bitterweed, herb bennet, dandelion, a single dock leaf, a couple of raspberry leaves. I added a little cauliflower because I wanted to stock it up a bit more. My garden is only really good for herb bennet, dandelion, and bramble right now. Went and fed everything to Arce and Yuki. And what does Arce favour? The flipping cauliflower. That right there shows the true appreciation for all my foraging work. Ladies and gentlemen... I present to you... Rabbits. :roll:

I just ran out of pre-foraged food and hadn't fed Arce and Yuki yet. I cobbled together what I could from the garden: some bramble, bitterweed, herb bennet, dandelion, a single dock leaf, a couple of raspberry leaves. I added a little cauliflower because I wanted to stock it up a bit more. My garden is only really good for herb bennet, dandelion, and bramble right now. Went and fed everything to Arce and Yuki. And what does Arce favour? The flipping cauliflower. That right there shows the true appreciation for all my foraging work. Ladies and gentlemen... I present to you... Rabbits. :roll:
My garden's good for a lastminute forage to: we keep it 'weedy'! Mine would certainly rather have forage though, TLC: they even chose everything over coriander the other day! I know Lopsy won't eat cauliflower though :)

can anyone tell if this is blackthorn please
DSCN1605_zpsunynwa38.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1606_zpsiresxnwr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1607_zpskm5rlrjm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] can anyone verify that this is meadowsweet
DSCN1599_zps69awxsvk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1600_zpsbduslj9p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]dont know what this is
DSCN1593_zps9omuqbk8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1592_zpso0ugviuc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] or this either
DSCN1604_zpsb444w55d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1603_zpsqjpmwgdy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No 1 looks like Blackthorn to me. It stopped flowering here quite a while ago but there will be regional differences.
No 2 looks like Meadowsweet from my books. I've rarely seen it and then only identified it when in flower.
No 3 I'm not sure. From the leaf structure it could be Hemlock. If it were me I wouldn't take a chance as I don't see much Hemlock.
No 4 I'm not sure about this either. It's something I have seen and looks like an Umbellifer. I would try crushing the leaf and smelling it.

Sorry, I've not been more helpful!

Back