• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small wet patches and wet under tail

nicki

Warren Scout
Hello everyone,

For the last few days, my lovely 7 year old female bunny Libby has been leaving small patches of normal looking wee in places that she wouldn't normally. Her tail is wet from sitting leakage/sitting in patches during the day but dry in the morning.
She lives in a large shed with large outdoor run.

I have been cleaning her up with warm water and she doesn't look sore but hard to tell.
She does not seem to be drinking excessively and wee is normal in appearance.
She is otherwise well and bright and eating fine.

However, wondering whether this is loss of bladder control - signs of a urinary tract infection or kidney issue?

Advice appreciated before possible vet trip?

Thanks very much,
Nicki x

Sending lots of vibes for her. I think a trip to the vets is the best thing, fingers crossed it will be something easily treated :thumb:

Hello everyone,

For the last few days, my lovely 7 year old female bunny Libby has been leaving small patches of normal looking wee in places that she wouldn't normally. Her tail is wet from sitting leakage/sitting in patches during the day but dry in the morning.

I have been cleaning her up with warm water and she doesn't look sore but hard to tell.

However, wondering whether this is loss of bladder control - signs of a urinary tract infection or kidney issue?

Thanks very much,
Nicki x

I would get her booked in to see a Vet tomorrow. There are several possible causes of the symptoms you describe-infection and/or bladder 'sludge' being just two of them. A full examination by a Rabbit Savvy Vet, including testing a sample of Libby's wee, will hopefully ascertain what is wrong and the Vet can then prescribe the appropriate treatment.

If she normally uses a litter tray to wee in then one possibility is that she has a bit of arthritis and hopping into a litter tray is uncomfortable. But as previously suggested, a prompt consultation with a Vet would be the best thing to do. As you say Libby is otherwise normal within herself I doubt that the problem is anything too serious x

Hello everyone,

Thanks very much,
Nicki x

Hi Nicki

Sorry to hear about Libby. This would normally indicate either bladder sludge, or a urinary tract infection, both of which would need a vet's advice and possibly antibiotics.

If you and the vet suspect kidney issues, then a blood profile would show this up.

Some info here on urinary issues:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Differentials/Incontinence.htm

Do you have a vet you can trust?

Update to small wet patches and wet under tail

Sorry for taking so long to reply,

I haven't been well myself this week.

Thanks for your thoughts and information given which was helpful.

I took lovely Libby to the vet at the beginning of the week.

He gave her an immediate ultra-sound which did not really show anything concerning in the bladder - no apparent sludge.

It took me a couple of days to get sufficient urine for a sample, which has been sent off.

She is on Metacam to reduce any inflammation - have observed a slight change when this is wearing off so she may well be masking some discomfort.

Depending on urine sample results - vet will do a blood test - I am suspicious about kidney issues.

Thanks again,

Nicki x

Sorry for taking so long to reply,

I haven't been well myself this week.

Thanks for your thoughts and information given which was helpful.

I took lovely Libby to the vet at the beginning of the week.

He gave her an immediate ultra-sound which did not really show anything concerning in the bladder - no apparent sludge.

It took me a couple of days to get sufficient urine for a sample, which has been sent off.

She is on Metacam to reduce any inflammation - have observed a slight change when this is wearing off so she may well be masking some discomfort.

Depending on urine sample results - vet will do a blood test - I am suspicious about kidney issues.

Thanks again,

Nicki x

You're welcome, thanks for posting back :)
I hope you're feeling a bit better now?

It sounds like your vet is doing everything possible - I hope they get some good results back :)

if her kidneys & urine come back ok - may I suggest an x-ray? if you're noticing some affect with her when the metacam wears off, it might be arthritis. I often spotted Luna with a wet butt, or peeing next to the litter tray. for her it was too much effort to get into the litter tray, so she didn't. we also suspected that due to the pain she might not feel she needs to pee until its too late, or even ending up not being able to get there quick enough.

idk if your vet offers it but mine offers acupuncture which we found super helpful for the first few weeks. Luna didn't need it after that as she was managed with the pain relief.

Thanks all,

MightyMax - Yes thanks, I am feeling better now.

BinkyCodie - I will bear what you have said about arthritis in mind.

Libby doesn't appear to have any problems getting into the litter tray and still is physically lively - running, jumping and binkying but she may be experiencing some pain which is not obvious.

We'll see what results come back.

Thanks for your good wishes,
Nicki

Update Libby secondary gut issues

Hello everyone,
Happy New Year,

Libby has had a hard few days.
Lab picked up possible urine infection after a second attempt at a culture and she has been on Baytril a couple of days for that.
However, she is demonstrating really significant pain when trying to produce droppings, which is horrible for her.
Her droppings are a little smaller, dark and wet.
She is being treated with maximum Metacam and ranitidine x 3 daily.
I have been able to maintain some eating but am topping up with recovery food with a bit of pureed apple.

If she doesn't improve in the next day or two, the plan is full blood work up and x-ray.

Things have been a bit slower than I would like because of delay in infection identification.

I am really concerned about the source of the underlying pain.

Nicki

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Happy New Year,

Lab picked up possible urine infection after a second attempt at a culture and she has been on Baytril a couple of days for that.
However, she is demonstrating really significant pain when trying to produce droppings, which is horrible for her.
I have been able to maintain some eating but am topping up with recovery food with a bit of pureed apple.

If she doesn't improve in the next day or two, the plan is full blood work up and x-ray.

Things have been a bit slower than I would like because of delay in infection identification.

Nicki

Hello again

I am sorry to hear that Libby is still in some degree of pain. I note that bladder sludge/stones has been ruled out. It may be that the infection is deep within the bladder wall so not only will this take a long course of abx treatment to resolve, the cystitis like pain can continue too. Pain can cause the GI tract motility to slow down (you mention that Libby is straining to pass poo) and I am wondering if your Vet might consider adding some Metoclopramide to her medication protocol. Ranitidine does have good prokinetic effects on the lower GI tract, Metoclopramide works on the upper GI tract. So used together they can be more effective. Of course Ranitidine also offers protection against GI tract ulceration, so it is good that Libby is already on that whilst she is on a high dose of Metacam.

Is Libby having a good fluid intake ? Sometimes additional fluid therapy (given either IV or subcutaneously) can be beneficial. It can help increase urine production and to flush out the infection. A full blood profile is certainly something I would be requesting ASAP, especially given the fact that Libby is on a high dose of Metacam. It seems that your Vet has this matter in mind so hopefully he/she will take some blood samples next.

There is some information about cystitis/bladder infections in Rabbits here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cystitis_Ele.htm

https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/infection-in-the-bladder-or-urinary-tract

https://www.vetvisuals.com/uploads/PDF/Handouts/Handouts Rabbit Urinary Disease Vetvisuals.pdf

I really hope that Libby will start to feel a lot better soon.

Hi Jane,

Thanks so much for your reply and very helpful links.
I have been topping up the Ranitidine with Metoclopramide, which is helping.

I have noticed that the worst straining is early evening and morning when her gut starts going again, once things are moving it eases up and she perks up a lot and her poop returns to normal appearance. Giving her liquid fibre recovery food also seemed to help yesterday.

Libby's fluid intake is good and I have been putting prokinetic in water and will keep doing this to encourage her to drink.

Thanks for the advice re: subcutaneous fluids and a blood sample which is planned next.

The pain has eased up a little bit this morning and she is having good spells in between once the meds kick in - sitting outside with Oliver.

Kind regards,

Nicki

Hello everyone,
Happy New Year,

Nicki

Hi nicki and a happy new year to you :wave:

I am sorry the last few days have been hard on Libby, and no doubt hard on you too :(

I am glad you are getting a full blood profile done, and X-ray. That will help with identifying what's going on in the bladder.

I hope the blood results and other tests give you a way forward in treating your lovely girl.

Hugs xx

Thanks Mighty Max,

I am going to arrange the blood profile and X-ray with the vet today.
Whilst Libby's gut symptoms are more under control, the bladder symptoms including straining/pain have not - just being managed.

I really appreciate your kind thoughts,
Nicki

Thanks Mighty Max,

I am going to arrange the blood profile and X-ray with the vet today.
Whilst Libby's gut symptoms are more under control, the bladder symptoms including straining/pain have not - just being managed.

I really appreciate your kind thoughts,
Nicki

Ah you're welcome.
Not nice knowing they are feeling poorly.

How did you get on at the vet today?

Good morning Mighty Max,

Libby had an ultrasound, X-ray under sedation/partial anaesthetic and blood profile yesterday for her urinary/gut issues.
No abnormalities were detected so we are waiting for the results of the blood/urine tests on Monday.

In the meantime, she is still going between being very lively and bright and eating well and then plummeting with severe pain, straining and crying when toileting and quick slowdown of gut and eating in these phases.

On top of the Metacam, ranitidine, Baytril and critical care, the vet has given me 0.1ml injectable Vetergesic (Buprenorphine) in pre-loaded injectable form to give up to 3 times a day for severe pain to start today. I haven't given any yet as she has started the day reasonably well and is happily sitting in her run at the moment, eating hay and herbs with her companion Oliver.

However, I know she is likely to go downhill later - so will give the Vetergesic in the afternoon if required - bit concerned about it slowing down her gut but the nasty pain is doing that anyway so will see how it goes. I have also split the high Metacam dose to see if that helps.

I haven't injected before so a little nervous about getting the needle in the right position (have watched videos and seen nurse doing it) but any advice appreciated.

Thanks for checking on her,

Nickix

Poor Libby, you both are having an awful time but your vet sounds very thorough. I hope you can find an answer for her pain and I hope it isn't serious. Xx

Back