• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please - sick rabbit, vet cannot resolve

I agree with the thoughts on injectable penicillin. It is tolerated quite well by a lot of rabbits. Of course, there is a risk, as with any antibiotic but it can be very effective when used. It's the "go to" antibiotic my vet uses when there is abscess or a fast moving infection.
I think it gets a bad rap in regards to rabbits because of oral penicillins being such a problem for their gut flora.
It would be fortunate if Tom's condition is syphilis rather then the SA! It's treatable. :) But it does need the right type of penicillin and duration to really knock it on the head.

Hopefully the vets will be able to accurately diagnose and treat Tom. Very possible he has multiply things going on. EC, syph, mite etc can all lie dormant then become a problem when a rabbit ages or their immune system becomes taxed for whatever reason. Opportunistic parasites and/or bacteria make their presence known. :|

I had a thought when I read that Toffee seemed a bit out of sorts too... could you be having a visitor in the yard that is causing some stress to both buns? Cat? Fox? Other?

I agree with the thoughts on injectable penicillin. It is tolerated quite well by a lot of rabbits. Of course, there is a risk, as with any antibiotic but it can be very effective when used. It's the "go to" antibiotic my vet uses when there is abscess or a fast moving infection.
I think it gets a bad rap in regards to rabbits because of oral penicillins being such a problem for their gut flora.
It would be fortunate if Tom's condition is syphilis rather then the SA! It's treatable. :) But it does need the right type of penicillin and duration to really knock it on the head.

Hopefully the vets will be able to accurately diagnose and treat Tom. Very possible he has multiply things going on. EC, syph, mite etc can all lie dormant then become a problem when a rabbit ages or their immune system becomes taxed for whatever reason. Opportunistic parasites and/or bacteria make their presence known. :|

I had a thought when I read that Toffee seemed a bit out of sorts too... could you be having a visitor in the yard that is causing some stress to both buns? Cat? Fox? Other?

We did get fox footprints on the top of the hutch when we first got them around 4 years ago but nothing obvious since. The rabbits are in a big hutch with lots of it covered over by plastic sheet (weather and wind protection) so there are plenty of hiding places. We had been giving both rabbits oral antibiotics twice a day for 5 days when Tom's really bad symptoms started, so we'd wondered whether the stress of that had triggered something.

A pinch of porridge oats morning and night, high calorie pellets meant for young rabbits, alfalfa hay (unless there's bladder sludge suspected), a few sunflower seeds ....

Thanks. Tom isn't eating hay at the moment: we've tried 3 different varieties and he's not interested. Grass yes, hay no. I've been looking for a very green Timothy Hay that he used to like but cant find it. What is bladder sludge - that's not been mentioned. He does still have diarrhoea though so something to block that up too would be good.
Are the porridge oats cooked first ?

Thanks. Tom isn't eating hay at the moment: we've tried 3 different varieties and he's not interested. Grass yes, hay no. I've been looking for a very green Timothy Hay that he used to like but cant find it. What is bladder sludge - that's not been mentioned. He does still have diarrhoea though so something to block that up too would be good.
Are the porridge oats cooked first ?

Bladder sludge is a build up of excess calcium in the bladder:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view
(click at the bottom for a PDF form of the article)

Lots of reading matter there - well you did ask!

Grass is great - it's hay with the moisture retained :)

No, you don't have to cook the oats first. Some people do - I never have :)

Tom very much likes porridge it seems. Just gave him a flat teaspoon of oats, lightly soaked before hand. Yum.

Tom has really gooey, sticky discharge from his eyes. Think the Baytril knocked it originally but it has been back for several days and now is quite noticeable. Anyone got any good ways of dealing with it ?

Tom has really gooey, sticky discharge from his eyes. Think the Baytril knocked it originally but it has been back for several days and now is quite noticeable. Anyone got any good ways of dealing with it ?

Gently bathing his eyes with cooled boiled water would remove the 'gunk' but he may also require antibiotic eye drops if there is an active bacterial infection. When is Tom due back at the Vets ? Does he still have diarrhoea ?

Hi there

Get some cooled boiled water, and make a compress out of a cotton pad. Gently wipe it away. If it seems to be getting worse, keep the water a little bit warm and hold it over the closed eye to loosen debris and clear it away :)

Gently bathing his eyes with cooled boiled water would remove the 'gunk' but he may also require antibiotic eye drops if there is an active bacterial infection. When is Tom due back at the Vets ? Does he still have diarrhoea ?

He's due back on Tuesday, when the results of the blood tests should be back also.
He has been keeping his eyes been partially closed for a couple of weeks now, rather than wide open as usual. Not sure why, looks like he is really tired. I wonder if the hair loss around his hind legs and the chapped skin is stopping hiim getting comfy and sleeping properly or if it is the eye problem.

This evening he is grinding his teeth quite a bit. Is that a sign of pain ?

He's been out in the run most of the day, eating grass. Just given him an evening dose of porridge, which was enjoyed a lot it seems!

Bought some "grooming wipes for rabbits" to try to clean his rear end up as we have just been using paper towel to remove the diarrhoea and urine. Normally he is spotlessly clean so sad to see. You can smell Tom from feet away, he smells quite bad. Been concerned as we now have flies and I saw one land on him. The vets have given us F10 insecticide spray to try to prevent fly strike but it doesn't seem to keep them away. I bought a Fly strike rabbit spray today to use, but it says it should not be used on sick or convalescing animals ! The wipes seem to have cleaned him up reasonably well and the smell isn't as bad. I would have done more cleaning but he started struggling and had had enough.

More like soft poo today than diarrohea but it seems to come and go.

He's due back on Tuesday, when the results of the blood tests should be back also.
He has been keeping his eyes been partially closed for a couple of weeks now, rather than wide open as usual. Not sure why, looks like he is really tired. I wonder if the hair loss around his hind legs and the chapped skin is stopping hiim getting comfy and sleeping properly or if it is the eye problem.

He's been out in the run most of the day, eating grass. Just given him an evening dose of porridge, which was enjoyed a lot it seems!

Bought some "grooming wipes for rabbits" to try to clean his rear end up as we have just been using paper towel to remove the diarrhoea and urine. Normally he is spotlessly clean so sad to see. You can smell Tom from feet away, he smells quite bad. Been concerned as we now have flies and I saw one land on him. The vets have given us F10 insecticide spray to try to prevent fly strike but it doesn't seem to keep them away. I bought a Fly strike rabbit spray today to use, but it says it should not be used on sick or convalescing animals ! The wipes seem to have cleaned him up reasonably well and the smell isn't as bad. I would have done more cleaning but he started struggling and had had enough.

A rabbit keeping their eyes part closed is often a sign that they are in distress. Teeth grinding is also a sign of pain too :(

Poor lad - it sounds like you've got a job on to keep him clean. I often find a 'butt bath' in an inch of water is the only way to thoroughly clean a rabbit in those conditions.

If you use the F10 spray, please keep an eye on the condition of his skin. F10 has caused more problems than it's solved when it comes to 'scalding' and burning the skin - it's quite corrosive.

The oats will not have caused an issue with the diarrhoea so don't worry that you're making things worse. He has to eat to keep his strength and weight up, and it seems like they are going down well at the moment.

Some people have found that putting a prebiotic in the drinking water helps - Mark at Trinity vets recommends Avipro. Tom might benefit from something like this?

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_4.aspx

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Rabbits--their-gut-issues.aspx?pageid=181

Thinking of you all and sending masses of vibes xx

A rabbit keeping their eyes part closed is often a sign that they are in distress. Teeth grinding is also a sign of pain too :(

Poor lad - it sounds like you've got a job on to keep him clean. I often find a 'butt bath' in an inch of water is the only way to thoroughly clean a rabbit in those conditions.

If you use the F10 spray, please keep an eye on the condition of his skin. F10 has caused more problems than it's solved when it comes to 'scalding' and burning the skin - it's quite corrosive.

The oats will not have caused an issue with the diarrhoea so don't worry that you're making things worse. He has to eat to keep his strength and weight up, and it seems like they are going down well at the moment.

Some people have found that putting a prebiotic in the drinking water helps - Mark at Trinity vets recommends Avipro. Tom might benefit from something like this?

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_4.aspx

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Rabbits--their-gut-issues.aspx?pageid=181

Thinking of you all and sending masses of vibes xx

That makes me sad for him. We asked the vet about pain and he said it was difficult to tell conclusively. What do you give for pain. Think an injection would be better based on experience with orals so far.

You're right on the oats. He had the diarrhoea for several days (i.e. before the oats) but now more like soft poo so it will be something else that iis causing that.

I'll be annoyed with teh vet if the F10 does cause problems as he prescribed it and told us to spray it on as it is a wound dressing to keep flies away and keep the wound from becomming infected.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the dry skin. One vet said use a cream, one said vaseline and the exotic vet said don't use anything as it will pick up dirt and dust and form a skin of muck against his skin. I wondered if a quick absorbing moisturiser would work.

That makes me sad for him. We asked the vet about pain and he said it was difficult to tell conclusively. What do you give for pain. Think an injection would be better based on experience with orals so far.

You're right on the oats. He had the diarrhoea for several days (i.e. before the oats) but now more like soft poo so it will be something else that iis causing that.

I'll be annoyed with teh vet if the F10 does cause problems as he prescribed it and told us to spray it on as it is a wound dressing to keep flies away and keep the wound from becomming infected.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the dry skin. One vet said use a cream, one said vaseline and the exotic vet said don't use anything as it will pick up dirt and dust and form a skin of muck against his skin. I wondered if a quick absorbing moisturiser would work.

I'm sorry, I know it's really hard to think they are in pain :(

Metacam can be given by injection. Tramadol is also good, but only by mouth (a small dose though)

Some to explore here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm

Regarding creams ..

Gill (vet at Windelsham) recommends Derbymed SCP Spray:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773
This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

This has been recommended by someone on here as very good:

https://vitaltouch.com/product/natalia-baby-bottom-butter-60ml/

I hope something there might help Tom :)

Poor Tom sounds to be in considerable discomfort :cry: Would you be able to call the Vet today to ask if maybe Tom needs a bit more help now rather than waiting until Tuesday. Perhaps additional analgesic cover.

Porridge can actually exacerbate 'soft poo' problems in some cases, so it might be a good idea to hold off feeding that for a couple of days to see if Tom's GI tract settles down.

I use Avipro Plus for one of my Rabbits who has a chronic gut problem. Despite alot of verbose criticism from certain quarters on here I have always advocated it's use as I have seen first hand the benefits it has had for my Rabbit who at one point was close to having to be PTS.

I buy my Aviro Plus online from here :

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Vetark_Avi...rX_-yIyMk-kBOSl3h-p9RGlMM_pTXY4UlYaAgn68P8HAQ

However, it can also be obtained from Pets at Home

Poor Tom sounds to be in considerable discomfort :cry: Would you be able to call the Vet today to ask if maybe Tom needs a bit more help now rather than waiting until Tuesday. Perhaps additional analgesic cover.

Porridge can actually exacerbate 'soft poo' problems in some cases, so it might be a good idea to hold off feeding that for a couple of days to see if Tom's GI tract settles down.

I use Avipro Plus for one of my Rabbits who has a chronic gut problem. Despite alot of verbose criticism from certain quarters on here I have always advocated it's use as I have seen first hand the benefits it has had for my Rabbit who at one point was close to having to be PTS.

I buy my Aviro Plus online from here :

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Vetark_Avi...rX_-yIyMk-kBOSl3h-p9RGlMM_pTXY4UlYaAgn68P8HAQ

However, it can also be obtained from Pets at Home
I agree with Jane, I wouldn't wait until Tuesday for the vets appointment if he is in pain. Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Sending lots of vibes for your poor lad. I hope that your vet can make him feel more comfortable. It's very often difficult to know how best to help our rabbits. It is clear though that you are trying very hard with him. Sending you lots of hugs. It is very distressing to have poorly rabbits.

Sending lots of vibes for your poor lad. I hope that your vet can make him feel more comfortable. It's very often difficult to know how best to help our rabbits. It is clear though that you are trying very hard with him. Sending you lots of hugs. It is very distressing to have poorly rabbits.

I agree, I think all of us try our best and in many cases what helps one Rabbit may not always help another. It can be extremely stressful. It is obvious that you, 'ToffTom' are doing all within your power to try to help Tom to feel better.

Tom couldn't get himself up this morning. He was lying on his side when I went out to the hutch, seemingly sleeping. Our other rabbit brushed against him and I talked to him quietly he started trying to get up (moving his legs etc) but couldn't get up off his side. Once I'd helped him up he was OK and could move around but this is not a good sign. I'm very worried about him.
Going to vets today at 9:30 to get him looked at and pain killer injection at least. Hoping they will let us have pain killing injections to administer daily or so but suspect we won't be allowed to have those. I'm seriously concerned Tuesday is going to be too late for him.

Back