• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The cutest boy rats :)

:love::love::love:

Anyone who dislikes rats has the misfortune of never having met any before. They're a gift. I absolutely love my ratties. Including their tails. <3
I agree :D hadn't met any before these two and they're so lovely :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

:love::love::love:

Anyone who dislikes rats has the misfortune of never having met any before. They're a gift. I absolutely love my ratties. Including their tails. <3

I have never kept rats myself, but I know they are the most beautiful and intelligent creatures :love:

In my experience, roof rats (even male) don't stink at all! It's crazy. Their pee just doesn't smell strong I guess. They're a different species so are different in quite a few ways.

Miyoko, my female norway, her pee def smelled but it only smelled when her cage was a bit overdue - she liked to pee on her plastic shelf so it was mostly just that that would smell if the cage needed cleaning.

I've never had male norways though - I've heard they smell worse than the females. But I was a bit surprised at how little Miyoko's cage smelled because you do hear that rats smell strongly.

It might have to do with the cage, bedding and accessories lot of times though. My cage is a Critter Nation with stainless steel bass pans. Probably if I had gotten Miyoko a stainless steel shelf she would've smelled even less, as plastic retains the smell of pee (I scrubbed with vinegar while cleaning to get rid of the pee smell though).

In my experience, roof rats (even male) don't stink at all! It's crazy. Their pee just doesn't smell strong I guess. They're a different species so are different in quite a few ways.

Miyoko, my female norway, her pee def smelled but it only smelled when her cage was a bit overdue - she liked to pee on her plastic shelf so it was mostly just that that would smell if the cage needed cleaning.

I've never had male norways though - I've heard they smell worse than the females. But I was a bit surprised at how little Miyoko's cage smelled because you do hear that rats smell strongly.

It might have to do with the cage, bedding and accessories lot of times though. My cage is a Critter Nation with stainless steel bass pans. Probably if I had gotten Miyoko a stainless steel shelf she would've smelled even less, as plastic retains the smell of pee (I scrubbed with vinegar while cleaning to get rid of the pee smell though).
That's very interesting actually :)

My friends only had those two a few weeks and even the night she got them they had this strong musk, which has never changed! My boyfriend cant smell it neither can my friend.. Idk if Im particularly weird with smells but theyre very stinky to me. I don't know what type of rat they are either. I met some female rats the other day, they also smelt (to me) but it wasn't as strong, and slightly different smell too. But still not something I could live with.

It's a shame because my boyfriend really wants some [emoji38] I totally would, but I don't think I could live with the smell unfortunately :( x

That's very interesting actually :)

My friends only had those two a few weeks and even the night she got them they had this strong musk, which has never changed! My boyfriend cant smell it neither can my friend.. Idk if Im particularly weird with smells but theyre very stinky to me. I don't know what type of rat they are either. I met some female rats the other day, they also smelt (to me) but it wasn't as strong, and slightly different smell too. But still not something I could live with.

It's a shame because my boyfriend really wants some [emoji38] I totally would, but I don't think I could live with the smell unfortunately :( x

They'll be domestic norway rats - they're the only species that's commonly available. :)

I thought you meant the cage smelled - if you mean the rat then my female norway didn't really have a body scent but my male roof rats do have that musky scent but it's only really noticeable when I get my face within inches of them, and I don't mind it.

Yeah I think some rats smell less than others and that some people are more sensitive to their scent. I feel like I have a very good sense of smell but animal smells just don't bother me really, even when they do smell bad. I'm just like meh it comes with the territory. what bothers me is chemical stuff - perfumes and air fresheners and other scented smelly things, I can't stand them.

They'll be domestic norway rats - they're the only species that's commonly available. :)

I thought you meant the cage smelled - if you mean the rat then my female norway didn't really have a body scent but my male roof rats do have that musky scent but it's only really noticeable when I get my face within inches of them, and I don't mind it.

Yeah I think some rats smell less than others and that some people are more sensitive to their scent. I feel like I have a very good sense of smell but animal smells just don't bother me really, even when they do smell bad. I'm just like meh it comes with the territory. what bothers me is chemical stuff - perfumes and air fresheners and other scented smelly things, I can't stand them.

Ah that's good to know, they're very sweet, dumbo rats also are cute :D

Yea I can like smell them as I open the door to her flat, like the whole space smells, it's weird, and as I get closer to them it gets stronger. I went to a pet shop and smelt the female rats and male rats they had there too (was trying to figure out if it was just the few I'd met or not [emoji38]) but they all had a musk - which my boyfriend couldn't smell at all! Maybe I'm crazy.. Haha

Animal scent doesn't normally bother me either, like I actually love the bunny smell :) I think they smell amazing although they don't have much scent at all really. I can smell doggy smells but again idm them, cat smell is the same, I can smell there's cats but it's not an offensive smell. Maybe for some reason rats just don't smell good to me :( which is a shame because they really are a delight x

Yep dumbo rats are a variety of the domestic norway rat :) I've always thought they're adorable.

yeah come to think of it, animals have a scent if you sniff them (why does that sound weird haha) but most animals have either a good or neutral scent in my experience. Ducklings, adult ducks, and lovebirds are probably some of my favorite smelling. Birds in general just smell good lol. I'm trying to think of an animal that I don't like the body scent of and the only one I can think of is dogs, but there again not all dogs smell the same so some aren't offensive smelling. I've even heard that one breed - american eskimo dogs - have feet that smell like popcorn! I'm thinking it must be the sweat glands on their feet but why they smell like popcorn I don't know :lol:

Me and my family all agree that out of our cats, Zeus smells the best, it's quite a strong scent too (strong but good) It's strange :?

People can be pretty divisive on the musky scent of ferrets as well. I've never been bothered by their scent either (altho I've never had any but I've met them at pet stores).

Yep dumbo rats are a variety of the domestic norway rat :) I've always thought they're adorable.

yeah come to think of it, animals have a scent if you sniff them (why does that sound weird haha) but most animals have either a good or neutral scent in my experience. Ducklings, adult ducks, and lovebirds are probably some of my favorite smelling. Birds in general just smell good lol. I'm trying to think of an animal that I don't like the body scent of and the only one I can think of is dogs, but there again not all dogs smell the same so some aren't offensive smelling. I've even heard that one breed - american eskimo dogs - have feet that smell like popcorn! I'm thinking it must be the sweat glands on their feet but why they smell like popcorn I don't know [emoji38]

Me and my family all agree that out of our cats, Zeus smells the best, it's quite a strong scent too (strong but good) It's strange :?

People can be pretty divisive on the musky scent of ferrets as well. I've never been bothered by their scent either (altho I've never had any but I've met them at pet stores).

Ah I've had ferrets, they are very stinky.. Didn't bother me though actually, but the smell clung to your clothes after you handled them, and I don't think I could've had them in the house [emoji38]

With you on the fact some dogs smell, may be what you get used to tho.. Mine never did to me.. Maybe they smelt bad to visitors? [emoji38][emoji38]

We just call them fancy rats over here, but as William said they are from rattus norvegicus which we usually call a brown rat in the uk, but norway rat is another name.

Roof rats are called Black rats here, rattus rattus.

Dumbo rats are the same as normal fancy rats they just have a recessive gene which alteres the ear shape.

Its hard to tell from the picks as on my screen they possibly look Champagne, but if they are just white then they are Pink Eyed White.

Last edited:
We just call them fancy rats over here, but as William said they are from rattus norvegicus which we usually call a brown rat in the uk, but norway rat is another name.

Roof rats are called Black rats here, rattus rattus.

Dumbo rats are the same as normal fancy rats they just have a recessive gene which alteres the ear shape.

Yeah we call them those names too, but I found it confused people too much so I switched to other common names that we call them (they go by so many!) xD

it especially confused my family because my roof (black) rats are more brown colored while my norway (brown) rat was mostly black with white, so they kept accidentally thinking their species name was the opposite lol. Cant say I blamed them!

Back