• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New in every way!

rainbowowl

New Kit
Hello there!

Soo I'm new to bunny owning. Technically have been attempting to own bunnies since Christmas, but am failing miserably and I need a whole lot of help. My daughter (6) wanted a bunny for a SOLID YEAR... so at Christmas, we got her and her brother polish bunnies. Basically they got naming privileges, I knew full well that I was going to take care of them, not the kids. They're both dead. We had them inside in a cage while we built their hutch, and one got her head stuck under the feeder and it snapped her neck. Then about 2 months ago, after moving the other to the outside hutch, she got heat stroke. We thought shade and water was enough, and I have since learned that it isn't.. they need a breeze as well. I had no idea bunnies were so fragile, and I kick myself constantly for not having done more research before purchasing them. I own the responsibility of their loss entirely. We replaced them with a Rex (batman), and another one that sure does look like a Rex but the gal we got him from didn't know for sure. She had taken him in from someone who didn't want him anymore, and posted on craigslist to rehome him. He's Snowball. Both bunnies came from outdoor homes. We have made modifications to the hutch to make sure they don't ever get overheated again, and are in process of building their playpen. We've put them in a few times and they LOVE it. I'm definitely going to have lots of questions about their care. I understand that for many, outdoor housing is not preferred, but I've also read about many who do successfully keep them outside. I want to make sure I do it RIGHT this time. I have lots to learn, and I absolutely love these bunnies and want their lives to be awesome. I'm looking forward to all the fantastic knowledge y'all have to pass on! And be prepared, LOTS of questions are gonna be coming from this gal.

Hello there!

Soo I'm new to bunny owning. Technically have been attempting to own bunnies since Christmas, but am failing miserably and I need a whole lot of help. My daughter (6) wanted a bunny for a SOLID YEAR... so at Christmas, we got her and her brother polish bunnies. Basically they got naming privileges, I knew full well that I was going to take care of them, not the kids. They're both dead. We had them inside in a cage while we built their hutch, and one got her head stuck under the feeder and it snapped her neck. Then about 2 months ago, after moving the other to the outside hutch, she got heat stroke. We thought shade and water was enough, and I have since learned that it isn't.. they need a breeze as well. I had no idea bunnies were so fragile, and I kick myself constantly for not having done more research before purchasing them. I own the responsibility of their loss entirely. We replaced them with a Rex (batman), and another one that sure does look like a Rex but the gal we got him from didn't know for sure. She had taken him in from someone who didn't want him anymore, and posted on craigslist to rehome him. He's Snowball. Both bunnies came from outdoor homes. We have made modifications to the hutch to make sure they don't ever get overheated again, and are in process of building their playpen. We've put them in a few times and they LOVE it. I'm definitely going to have lots of questions about their care. I understand that for many, outdoor housing is not preferred, but I've also read about many who do successfully keep them outside. I want to make sure I do it RIGHT this time. I have lots to learn, and I absolutely love these bunnies and want their lives to be awesome. I'm looking forward to all the fantastic knowledge y'all have to pass on! And be prepared, LOTS of questions are gonna be coming from this gal.

Welcome :wave:

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

It sounds like you've had a bit of a time of it so far, hopefully things will go more smoothly from now.

You will find lots of advice here x

Welcome to the forum I think that you will find lots of valuable information. I am so sorry that you lost both your bunnies tragically. I can tell from your post how much you loved them. Bunnies are amazing and very fun but can be quite fragile. They can go so fast from being extremely healthy one minute to very poorly fast. You will learn how to recognize the signs and what to do by asking questions here. There are some very knowledgeable bunny people here.

Welcome, please make sure to get them both neutered / spayed to prevent any litters.

I've got 2 dutchies that live outside with no problems :)

Welcome in. :)

I understand that for many, outdoor housing is not preferred
I've actually never seen anyone, especially not on these forums, say anything against outdoor housing. My own buns live in a shed and run combo outside and love it. :)

Back