• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits terrorising the garden

So last time I was on here I had a rat problem (I have sorted that).

Now my pair have started to terrorise the garden in the last week. They have totally eaten the bark off one of my apple trees which is most certainly going to die. They did this in one day while I was at work.

This morning I have noticed they have dug a 1 foot hole in the corner of the garden and made a right mess. I have no idea how he has not escaped.

I am pretty offended as they have the free run of a large garden. I am running out of ideas baring keeping them in the hutch constantly. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Not sure about preventing holes being dug but we have chicken wire wrapped around the base of one of our trees in the garden to prevent the rabbits attacking it so may be worth doing something like that with your apple tree and any others u don't want then attacking, Aww bless

sounds like good rabbity fun to me. I'm sure they love to have a big garden to run in but its only natural they want to chew & dig.

When I had my two girls, they were never diggers until we moved their hutch and run (with good intentions as they'd eaten everything where they had been!) to the hottest part of the garden. They managed to dig quite a long and deep tunnel within the space of a week! It turned out they had done it as they were too hot as once I realised why and moved them back, they never dug a hole again. Do you have enough shady and cool places for them to chill out along with frozen bottles/pads etc.?

When I had my two girls, they were never diggers until we moved their hutch and run (with good intentions as they'd eaten everything where they had been!) to the hottest part of the garden. They managed to dig quite a long and deep tunnel within the space of a week! It turned out they had done it as they were too hot as once I realised why and moved them back, they never dug a hole again. Do you have enough shady and cool places for them to chill out along with frozen bottles/pads etc.?

Interesting theory. They can get under the hutch on paving slabs to cool off but the whole garden is pretty exposed. I will try some frozen bottles.

Our rabbits also direct their attention to the bark of our butterfly bush; I'm surprised it's still alive, frankly. They also eat anything that's growing, apart from the grass :lol:. Well, that's not strictly true. Once they're fed up of being chased off the borders they will eat the grass.

Coco has reached up to her full stretch and helped herself to a chunk of my potted apple tree just because she could I think because she then dropped it and hopped off. I threw it into their run otherwise it would be wasted.

The mint in the small tub has to be covered with another upside down tub while they're out otherwise that'd be gone in a flash. The mint in the bigger tub is growing nicely ... on one side, the rest seems rather strangely shorter. But I don't mind them having the mint, bought it for them really as it's excellent for their tummies. Although not the lot in one go. That I fear would have the opposite effect.

Oh, and they get up to mischief right under our noses as they're never left alone unsupervised ... :lol:. They're so fast and sometimes form a tag team so one will go one side and destroy a plant and the other will go the other side and munch on a plant, it's like they know one human can't be in two places at the same time.

I love them to bits but once they're gone I'll have a lovely garden ... :lol:

Lavender has chewed the bark off my small new birthday present Magnolia tree �� which I didn’t notice at first grrrr. I’ve moved the enclosure to a different bit, and hope it doesn’t kill the tree. I can’t let them loose in my garden so I have one lot in a run and the others in a movable enclosure (when I’m around).

Back