• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleur not herself :(

I can't help with your pet food analysis but I would advise you keep up with her sticks. Branches / bark is really high in lignin / long fibres - no commercial food will come close.

My Boo eats fully formed poo from her bum too :?

Yes thank you :) have to admit since Atticus (he has megacolon) strips and eats about 10 sticks a day he's been a lot better in himself - so will keep trying to tempt her with those :)

Ah does she?! Fleurs always done it, Im starting to wonder if there's something more going on here in Fleurs case anyway - does Boo ever suffer with stasis? :( xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

So is it the crude fibre I'm looking at? And what's the 'beneficial fibre'? That excel are talking about? [emoji38] xx
511b725642bd4eddb729bf4b4beabcfc.jpg
f004240b9f3f0d12755a89062882761b.jpg

Not sure if anything here helps at all?

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

Yes thank you :) have to admit since Atticus (he has megacolon) strips and eats about 10 sticks a day he's been a lot better in himself - so will keep trying to tempt her with those :)

Ah does she?! Fleurs always done it, Im starting to wonder if there's something more going on here in Fleurs case anyway - does Boo ever suffer with stasis? :( xx

I hope she can be tempted. I think sticks must be tasty at this time of year - mine are enjoying hawthorn though no leaves yet. Fortunately Boo seems fine digestively - she doesn't go in to stasis fortunately (she has enough other issues mind) x

Saw William, isn’t the best news.

He felt her stomach area etc said he couldn’t feel anything unusual, took an xray she has quite a bit of gas in her large intestine – not really sure why – but he said he can’t operate on the large intestine, he’s never had a rabbit survive it – he said he could open her up and see if there’s any adhesions – anything stuck together that he could release but as she doesn’t do so well with surgery that would be the last resort. She’s now on Baytril and Emeprid aswell as the Loxicom and Cisapride and he said to feed her as much as possible with CC. If she doesn’t improve by next Monday (or gets worse before then) then he’ll operate and see if there’s anything that can be done.

Pretty upset, not feeling very positive – just gotta keep going with it all and hope.

Thanks everyone so far for your support, any suggestions or ideas let me know :) xx

He felt her stomach area etc said he couldn’t feel anything unusual, took an xray she has quite a bit of gas in her large intestine – not really sure why – but he said he can’t operate on the large intestine, he’s never had a rabbit survive it – he said he could open her up and see if there’s any adhesions – anything stuck together that he could release but as she doesn’t do so well with surgery that would be the last resort. She’s now on Baytril and Emeprid aswell as the Loxicom and Cisapride and he said to feed her as much as possible with CC. If she doesn’t improve by next Monday (or gets worse before then) then he’ll operate and see if there’s anything that can be done.

Pretty upset, not feeling very positive – just gotta keep going with it all and hope.

Thanks everyone so far for your support, any suggestions or ideas let me know :) xx

Keep with the meds Grace. You just never know with rabbits. Mine had this mystery thing that kept us all on tenterhooks for more than two weeks and we still are none the wiser.

Yes, keep positive, you have to. I am glad you saw William xx

Keep with the meds Grace. You just never know with rabbits. Mine had this mystery thing that kept us all on tenterhooks for more than two weeks and we still are none the wiser.

Yes, keep positive, you have to. I am glad you saw William xx

Yes that's true gah I hope she's just being a huge pain in the butt and it'll pass. I'm really glad I saw William too, he said we could take bloods next too but I'm now kinda wishing I'd had them done today, he didn't suggest it, but at least we'd have more information :(

Really don't wanna let her down xx

Yes that's true gah I hope she's just being a huge pain in the butt and it'll pass. I'm really glad I saw William too, he said we could take bloods next too but I'm now kinda wishing I'd had them done today, he didn't suggest it, but at least we'd have more information :(

Really don't wanna let her down xx

Do them at the same time as the X-ray if she's not better by then?

Oh gosh, I am sorry to hear that the news is not too good. I really hope that things will improve over the next week. Not sure if William will have mentioned using Domperidone ?

A couple of references to the drug on these links :

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/pharma...gastrointestinal-prokinetic-drugs-monogastric

Page 4 on here http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Oh gosh, I am sorry to hear that the news is not too good. I really hope that things will improve over the next week. Not sure if William will have mentioned using Domperidone ?

A couple of references to the drug on these links :

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/pharma...gastrointestinal-prokinetic-drugs-monogastric

Page 4 on here http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv
He didn't no, I just rang the vets and the veterinary nurse told me not to Google stuff because she has everything she needs... So that's brilliant... [emoji38]

He didn't no, I just rang the vets and the veterinary nurse told me not to Google stuff because she has everything she needs... So that's brilliant... [emoji38]

Oh dear, that's you told then ...............

Maybe you could ask to speak to William ?

Oh dear, that's you told then ...............

Maybe you could ask to speak to William ?
Yea maybe... Williams great - but some of the veterinary nurses aren't very nice always, I guess they're just busy there's a few there that're really lovely though. I'm going to see how she goes today.

Can veg cause gas? She's been eating more kale than usual... Because that's all she'll eat (and some herbs) but now he's said to feed her as much cc as I can maybe she doesn't need the veg... And maybe that'll lessen the gas..? I don't know [emoji38] xx

I'm sorry Fleur is struggling with her tum again. Rabbits often suprise us (in the right way) - I hope she turns a corner soon. Keep going - you're doing fab x

I'm sorry Fleur is struggling with her tum again. Rabbits often suprise us (in the right way) - I hope she turns a corner soon. Keep going - you're doing fab x
Thank you I really hope so xx

It's actually really ******* me off, I know she's on painkillers and stuff but she's happy and jumping all over me, grooming me, eating oat hay, destroying her basket and stripping the bark off twigs... This does not seem like a rabbit I'm going to have to have put down? You know? But I guess if she can't function without being fed or somethings stuck to something else :( makes me wonder if spaying is the best idea - never thought I'd be thinking that :/ she's only about 8 months old :( xx

Well she's been running around the garden binkying for a while and zooming about - she's pooped in her tray.. But I was watching her and nome of them came out normally, she pulled them out of herself with her mouth, and threw them across the litter tray :/ xx

Well she's been running around the garden binkying for a while and zooming about - she's pooped in her tray.. But I was watching her and nome of them came out normally, she pulled them out of herself with her mouth, and threw them across the litter tray :/ xx

Just thinking out loud here - what about a problem within the rectum/anus. Polyps for example, too high up to be seen externally.

*Gross images alert*

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Viral/anal_pap.htm

Or a problem involving the anal sphincter- Proctalgia

http://ddc.musc.edu/public/symptoms/proctalgia.html

Have you mentioned Fleur's fecal poo pulling out to William ?

Would an endoscopy be an option :? Fleur sounds to be feeling relatively well within herself, I can understand your :? :cry: about the thought of her undergoing major gut surgery or worse.

It's really weird and worrying for you.

This might be completely out of order, and I totally accept that William is an expert in exotics, but would he be prepared to run the details of Fleur's case by another exotics vet? Sometimes when you're that close to something and it's been ongoing, you might just get someone else to shed a glimmer of light on it?

There's a fab exotics vet in London he could mail the details to:

Matthew Fiddes

http://www.cjhall-vets.co.uk/staff.asp

Last edited:
Back