• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Selene and Elphie- ud Elphie again

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Can I have some vibes please? She's really under the weather. She's eating but just flat...

P1070804_zpsuvxbzok3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I'm so sorry to read this :( Sending loads of get well soon vibes to the lovely Selene.

Took her to the vets. Not good news. She has a tumour on her liver that is very easy to feel.

As the prognosis is so grim, all I can do is spoil her and give her love until she's had enough and wants to go. I feel awful. :cry:

Took her to the vets. Not good news. She has a tumour on her liver that is very easy to feel.

As the prognosis is so grim, all I can do is spoil her and give her love until she's had enough and wants to go. I feel awful. :cry:

I am sorry to read this :( Did the Vet suggest a Liver biopsy to differentiate between a tumour and an abscess. The latter could be treatable with aggressive abx therapy. Or maybe giving abx anyway in the hope that it could be an abscess ? Not sure if any of your Rabbits have had Snuffles/Pasteurella ? Pasteurellosis in a colony can give rise to Liver abscesses. Maybe I am clutching at straws though xx

I am really sorry to hear this. How sad for the little one :(

Love and hugs for you, and vibes for Selene. I love her name :love:

I am sorry to read this :( Did the Vet suggest a Liver biopsy to differentiate between a tumour and an abscess. The latter could be treatable with aggressive abx therapy. Or maybe giving abx anyway in the hope that it could be an abscess ? Not sure if any of your Rabbits have had Snuffles/Pasteurella ? Pasteurellosis in a colony can give rise to Liver abscesses. Maybe I am clutching at straws though xx

She's far too thin to survive surgery (has lost 400g since August, when she had her rhd2 vaccination) for a biopsy and seemed quite sure it's not abscessation. I have a new sneezy bun (another vet saw Iris and said she has an allergy to something), who is seeing the same vet, tomorrow, but Selene's issue predates her arrival. Before then, I've had no pasturella buns. Thank you for trying to think up solutions. Tomorrow, I'm going to ask about metacam/emeprid treatment to keep her comfortable for the time she has left.

She's far too thin to survive surgery (has lost 400g since August, when she had her rhd2 vaccination) for a biopsy and seemed quite sure it's not abscessation. I have a new sneezy bun (another vet saw Iris and said she has an allergy to something), who is seeing the same vet, tomorrow, but Selene's issue predates her arrival. Before then, I've had no pasturella buns. Thank you for trying to think up solutions. Tomorrow, I'm going to ask about metacam/emeprid treatment to keep her comfortable for the time she has left.

If she is not actually in pain then Metacam may not be a great idea as it is metabolised by the Liver and it's use is contraindicated if there is a compromised Liver function.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

Milk Thistle may be somewhat supportive of Liver function

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/patient/milk-thistle-pdq

Maybe you could ask your Vet about giving it to Selene ?

I have used this one

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/natures-answer-milkthistle-alcohol-free-fluid-extract-30ml

If she is not actually in pain then Metacam may not be a great idea as it is metabolised by the Liver and it's use is contraindicated if there is a compromised Liver function.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

Milk Thistle may be somewhat supportive of Liver function

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/patient/milk-thistle-pdq

Maybe you could ask your Vet about giving it to Selene ?

I have used this one

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/natures-answer-milkthistle-alcohol-free-fluid-extract-30ml

Ah, can't say I'm surprised about metacam. I'll ask about milk thistle tomorrow. Thanks!

I think you're right to think about palliative options. Quality of life (in my view) far outweighs prolonging a sad existence and for that reason I believe having pain relief to be essential. I have had a rabbit with liver tumours, and I gave Metacam for pain and it certainly meant that he ate for England right up until the day he decided to leave!

I also put him on Milk Thistle but sadly that didn't help him. Hopefully you can find some solution you feel happy with :)

Se's a little brighter this evening. I think having her and Elphie Flump inside for the winter is definitely the best idea for them, even though it has meant splitting up the quad. She and Elphie (my underweight nearly-7-year-old Lop) can now benefit from unlimited food and some alfalfa hay without the fear of overfeeding Morning and Helios. I hope those 2 won't miss the girls too much, but I can at least draw comfort from the fact they have each other.

Hopefully Selene'll stay brighter for a good while, but I do know it is literally taking each day as it comes.

I saw Sacha (vet) today. 4 more of my girls (Iris/Arce/Athena/River) have now had their RVHD2 vaccine done. :thumb: Feels good to have vaccinated them all now. Anyhow, I brought up Selene as intended. Sacha agrees that although metacam functionality is affected by the liver, as we're in palliative care stages for Se, it's more important to keep her pain free and use the metacam. I also queried about the milk thistle and she said that although the evidence is sketchy at best, it can't hurt to try at this stage.

Back