• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilting head when eating 2-10: feeling better =)

Hmm they're odd! Sorry to be gross by are they dry and crumbly inside? Or squishy and wet? Atticus sometimes produces something like that and they're squishy, like you could flatten it and mould it into something (sorry [emoji38])
I'm not sure how we can talk about bunny poop without being gross, so it's fine. :lol: I admit I haven't looked what's inside them, but they're dry and hard, not squishy and wet.

I'm not sure how we can talk about bunny poop without being gross, so it's fine. [emoji38] I admit I haven't looked what's inside them, but they're dry and hard, not squishy and wet.
Interesting! Yea so Atticus passes stuff at first which is dry like that, then the splats hit when he's clearing out [emoji38] I'm not saying it's the same ofc! Hopefully a bunny poop expert will have an idea :)

Interesting! Yea so Atticus passes stuff at first which is dry like that, then the splats hit when he's clearing out [emoji38] I'm not saying it's the same ofc! Hopefully a bunny poop expert will have an idea :)
Ooh, you know, I just remembered that he had some wet poop stuck to his paw yesterday, but I assumed he'd stepped in a caecotroph. He's been having some (like, one a day at most) weird half-caecotroph/half-regular poops lately that he doesn't eat. I'm sure they're part caecotroph, because they smell like it.

The important thing is Casper is passing poo. They look pretty good in size and fiber except for their being oblong. He may still need more time to fully recover from his stasis, plus more may contain fur .

Is he still on motility meds?

It warmed my heart when I read he improved after giving you an awful scare. This is not unusual for my bunnies, and often I do not know what led to the improvement. I now keep notes on meds, feedings,supportive care, what eating,pee/poo to remind myself in the future.

The important thing is Casper is passing poo. They look pretty good in size and fiber except for their being oblong. He may still need more time to fully recover from his stasis, plus more may contain fur .

Is he still on motility meds?

It warmed my heart when I read he improved after giving you an awful scare. This is not unusual for my bunnies, and often I do not know what led to the improvement. I now keep notes on meds, feedings,supportive care, what eating,pee/poo to remind myself in the future.
Ooh, I'm glad you think they look pretty good in size and fibre. They are his usual size, so that's good, at least. The thing is, though, he never went into stasis? He's been pooping just fine all this time, though a week ago his poops were smaller than this. But he never stopped pooping.

He is still on motility meds, yes.

Aw, they're fun little creatures, aren't they? Scaring us like this? I keep notes on everything, too. It's helpful to read them back, because I can never remember stuff.

Veterinarians and experienced people in the forum know best. But my personal opinion is Casper is having a really tough time. The important thing is that he is still pooping, which shows that his bowels are still working. Continue sending lots of vibrations for him xxxxxx

Veterinarians and experienced people in the forum know best. But my personal opinion is Casper is having a really tough time. The important thing is that he is still pooping, which shows that his bowels are still working. Continue sending lots of vibrations for him xxxxxx
Yeah, he's not having an easy time, poor little guy. :( Thank you for the vibes, KCG.

Here's today's confusing update: He had one injection yesterday, which, according to what I've read, works for about 6-8 hours, but instead of getting worse, he's getting better? He is continuing to eat more himself each day and started eating pellets again last night, which he's still doing this morning, though not as many as usual. His activity level is still closer to normal than it has been this past week, and he's still spending time with Sophie and enjoying time on the balcony. He's using the litter tray like normal. I still haven't seen him drink, though, but he's still getting syringe-fed a few times a day, so maybe he doesn't feel the need to drink, and like I said before, he doesn't normally drink when he's not feeling well. So, does this mean he doesn't need the stronger painkiller? I'm not really sure what's going on anymore!

I sent a photo of his poops to the vets, so hopefully they'll know if they're something to worry about.

Here's today's confusing update: He had one injection yesterday, which, according to what I've read, works for about 6-8 hours, but instead of getting worse, he's getting better? He is continuing to eat more himself each day and started eating pellets again last night, which he's still doing this morning, though not as many as usual. His activity level is still closer to normal than it has been this past week, and he's still spending time with Sophie and enjoying time on the balcony. He's using the litter tray like normal. I still haven't seen him drink, though, but he's still getting syringe-fed a few times a day, so maybe he doesn't feel the need to drink, and like I said before, he doesn't normally drink when he's not feeling well. So, does this mean he doesn't need the stronger painkiller? I'm not really sure what's going on anymore!

I sent a photo of his poops to the vets, so hopefully they'll know if they're something to worry about.

I am so so glad he is getting better and better, I was worried for him!
I agree, that is really strange (but very good of course)Maybe he first had dental pain because of the spur and then a bit of "light" stasis or other instestinal upset so he didn´t want to eat because of that?

I am so so glad he is getting better and better, I was worried for him!
I agree, that is really strange (but very good of course)Maybe he first had dental pain because of the spur and then a bit of "light" stasis or other instestinal upset so he didn´t want to eat because of that?
Aw, thank you for caring about little Casper. :love: I agree that it's really strange but very good! I wonder if that's what's going on, yeah? Dental pain because of the spur and then some upset guts making him not want to eat? Hmm...

Confusing indeed - not that confusing is unusual when it comes to rabbits.

I think there is a possibility Casper was poorly from something else & it wasn't his tooth roots bothering him more. When you think of the number of rabbits who go in to stasis (a secondary condition) & they get treatment & get better but the primary cause of stasis was never discovered. We didn't determine why Joey went in to stasis but I like to hope whatever caused it was fully resolved anyway.

Its great to hear he's back to living his best life with beautiful Sophie :love:

It is good news he is improving and now eating pellets. Is he better after syringe feeds?
It is. :love: Yeah, he is better after syringe feeds. You'd think he'd be full, but instead he starts eating immediately after I've fed him? It's like the syringe-feeding makes him hungry.

Confusing indeed - not that confusing is unusual when it comes to rabbits.

I think there is a possibility Casper was poorly from something else & it wasn't his tooth roots bothering him more. When you think of the number of rabbits who go in to stasis (a secondary condition) & they get treatment & get better but the primary cause of stasis was never discovered. We didn't determine why Joey went in to stasis but I like to hope whatever caused it was fully resolved anyway.

Its great to hear he's back to living his best life with beautiful Sophie :love:
Thank you. :love:

You're right, so often they have gut trouble and we never find out what the primary cause was... The vets last week did both say that his guts were too slow, but we all assumed it was because he wasn't eating well, but maybe the slow guts caused him to not be hungry instead, though why his guts were slow in the first place, who knows... I'm not really sure what has been happening and if his tooth roots are being a problem or not. :?

I got a reply from the vets and they think his weird poops are possibly because he's still not eating enough, or not eating the same things as usual, and they said to keep an eye on it. So, I'll see if they get better when he hopefully starts eating more.

I'm glad he's seeming better. I think I've read somewhere that syringe feeding can stimulate appetite so to always have something tasty on hand afterwards.

Rodney had an episode over a year ago where his guts were at half speed even on all the gut meds and metacam for about a month.

He did need a dental but also had bladder sludge and having that flushed seemed to make a massive difference but the stasis remained for a good month after. We weaned him off syringe feeds and meds very slowly.

We did wonder if the stress of treatment and our stress prolonged the stasis.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I'm glad he's seeming better. I think I've read somewhere that syringe feeding can stimulate appetite so to always have something tasty on hand afterwards.

Rodney had an episode over a year ago where his guts were at half speed even on all the gut meds and metacam for about a month.

He did need a dental but also had bladder sludge and having that flushed seemed to make a massive difference but the stasis remained for a good month after. We weaned him off syringe feeds and meds very slowly.

We did wonder if the stress of treatment and our stress prolonged the stasis.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
Thank you. :love: Ah, that would explain it, then! I gave him a sunflower and some pellets last night after I fed him, but he instead went to eat some hay.

Oh, gosh, a month! Poor Rodney. That makes sense that the discomfort of the bladder sludge (plus needing a dental) made him unwell... But then his guts were still slow for a good month; that's a long time. :( I can see the stress of the treatment and everything maybe prolonging it... they're so sensitive to stress, aren't they? :( Thankfully Casper doesn't seem to be very stressed. Syringe feeding is going better now that I've switched from Recovery to Critical Care. He really doesn't like Recovery.

Syringe feeding is going better now that I've switched from Recovery to Critical Care. He really doesn't like Recovery.
IMO Critical Care looks and smells nicer as well :S But it's been a few years since I needed to use it :touches wood:

I'm gong to agree with everyone else that quantity and size and any output is good, maybe he just needs time to get back to normal, and that might simply be an age thing. Like when you hit 30 and suddenly little cuts take a week to heal, whereas before it might take a day or so.

IMO Critical Care looks and smells nicer as well :S But it's been a few years since I needed to use it :touches wood:

I'm gong to agree with everyone else that quantity and size and any output is good, maybe he just needs time to get back to normal, and that might simply be an age thing. Like when you hit 30 and suddenly little cuts take a week to heal, whereas before it might take a day or so.
Yeah, I agree! Critical Care smells pretty nice, I think, compared to Recovery!

Ah, that's very possible, yes, that at his age things just take longer to get back to normal... I hadn't considered that.

Casper's still doing well today, but a bit less well than yesterday. He's not eating as much, though it's a small difference. He hasn't gotten an injection today, and I'm not sure if that's the reason, or if there's a different reason, since he's only eating a little less on his own. It's all really getting to Sophie, though, and she's back to not eating as much as usual. Her poops are still good, but I'm keeping a close eye on her and encouraging her to eat more, and if she doesn't get better I'm taking her to the vets tomorrow.

It is. :love: Yeah, he is better after syringe feeds. You'd think he'd be full, but instead he starts eating immediately after I've fed him? It's like the syringe-feeding makes him hungry.

Thank you. :love:

You're right, so often they have gut trouble and we never find out what the primary cause was... The vets last week did both say that his guts were too slow, but we all assumed it was because he wasn't eating well, but maybe the slow guts caused him to not be hungry instead, though why his guts were slow in the first place, who knows... I'm not really sure what has been happening and if his tooth roots are being a problem or not. :?

I got a reply from the vets and they think his weird poops are possibly because he's still not eating enough, or not eating the same things as usual, and they said to keep an eye on it. So, I'll see if they get better when he hopefully starts eating more.

His eating after syringe feeds is what I experience with Raven too. Eating increases gut motility, plus syringe feeds add fluid to gi; so my theory is he wants to eat more as motility improves. It is also why his not eating probably caused gut slowdown which contributed to his eating issues.

Sending vibes for Casper.

Last edited:
You're right to be worried about Casper's health changing over the course of the day. It's really hard, but you're looking at him very carefully. I hope he eats and poops more, I'm sending a lot of vibrations for him xxxxxx

Back