• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt/loss of balance!

Hi,

I don't post in the forum that often these days but I'm in need of a bit of advise.

I noticed Hansa's balance wasn't quite right on Sunday, she seemed to have a bit of a wonky head and didn't recover her balance with boisterous Caspian almost bashed into her! For reasons I will explain below, although I was worried my mind was a little bit elsewhere. Anyhow I started her of Pancur on Sunday (as I had some) and in the evening gave her some Oxbow Critical care in the evening as I wasn't sure she was wating. Got an early morning appointment for her on Monday, and she is now on metcam as well.

So it is now Wednesday, my biggest concern is that's she's not eating or drinking enough! I gave her some of the Oxbow yesterday which she pretty much lapped up and she also enjoyed some greens in the morning, parsley and a bit of pear. Today she has some kale with she really enjoyed, some Oxbow and a bit of pear. She doesn't seem interested in pellets or hay. Also the other problem I have is that obviously Hansa is taking her time to eat so Caspian just barges on in a gobbles it all up! I try to keep him away to give Hansa a bit of a chance but it's not easy. I don't want to separate them completely unless I really have to...? She seemed a a bit less feisty this morning which of course I'm worrying about again.

Finding this extra hard as last week my cat went to a healthy cat that I thought I would have for many years to come, to me making the hard decision this Sunday to have her put down due to poor health. I don't want to go into the details here and although there's nothing I can do now, I really doubt myself as to whether I made the right decision and gave up too early and should have tried harder with her.

Work is really busy yet I've taken loads of time out to visit the vets in the last week - fortunately I have no boss at the moment and made up some hours on Sunday.

I saw a link in one of the other post to a facebook group which I have tried to join.

Many thanks

Hannah

Hi
As you may already know, the main causes of head tilt are EC and ear infection. I would talk to your vet about adding in an antibiotic to cover both causes.
Hopefully you will get approved to the group soon and i'll see you over there :)
x

Poor bun. Personally I'd separate but just for meal times. For feeding I'd give her whatever she'll eat. Brambles & grass would be good for fibre & continue with the CC.
I agree with RR that anti biotics would be wise too.

Vibes for her & you. I'm sorry to hear about your cat too

Thanks for the replies.

Hum... I'm not at home to read the bottle, but the vet did say she was giving me antibiotics (I'm sure bit it's all a bit of a blur!) - now I'm doubting it & a bit worried! Might give them a call this afternoon!

Apologies she is on baytril, it's been a long week and a half...

(I was given metacam for the cat - painful memories... Don't worry I've not gotten the, muddled)

This evening she's had some pellets, small bit of carrot, some oxbow (as she really didn't have a lot of pellets) and some grass... Seemed more keen to hop about, feels a positive evening.

Hi,

I don't post in the forum that often these days but I'm in need of a bit of advise.

I noticed Hansa's balance wasn't quite right on Sunday, she seemed to have a bit of a wonky head and didn't recover her balance with boisterous Caspian almost bashed into her! For reasons I will explain below, although I was worried my mind was a little bit elsewhere. Anyhow I started her of Pancur on Sunday (as I had some) and in the evening gave her some Oxbow Critical care in the evening as I wasn't sure she was wating. Got an early morning appointment for her on Monday, and she is now on metcam as well.

So it is now Wednesday, my biggest concern is that's she's not eating or drinking enough! I gave her some of the Oxbow yesterday which she pretty much lapped up and she also enjoyed some greens in the morning, parsley and a bit of pear. Today she has some kale with she really enjoyed, some Oxbow and a bit of pear. She doesn't seem interested in pellets or hay. Also the other problem I have is that obviously Hansa is taking her time to eat so Caspian just barges on in a gobbles it all up! I try to keep him away to give Hansa a bit of a chance but it's not easy. I don't want to separate them completely unless I really have to...? She seemed a a bit less feisty this morning which of course I'm worrying about again.

Finding this extra hard as last week my cat went to a healthy cat that I thought I would have for many years to come, to me making the hard decision this Sunday to have her put down due to poor health. I don't want to go into the details here and although there's nothing I can do now, I really doubt myself as to whether I made the right decision and gave up too early and should have tried harder with her.

Work is really busy yet I've taken loads of time out to visit the vets in the last week - fortunately I have no boss at the moment and made up some hours on Sunday.

I saw a link in one of the other post to a facebook group which I have tried to join.

Many thanks

Hannah

Hi Hannah

I'm sorry to heat about Hansa. It's quite devastating, isn't it?

You probably know that there can be several different reasons for what you're describing. Are you happy your vet is covering all bases? Baytril can work if it's an ear infection, but if no progress is being made after a time, your vet ought to think about changing the antibiotic. Or perhaps X-raying the skull to see whether there's any ear infection present.

Did your vet suggest what it might be?

Some reading here on the various causes of head tilt and loss of balance ...

http://www.vetfolio.com/parasitology/encephalitozoon-cuniculi-infection-in-rabbits

http://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-are...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-8/head-tilt.html

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

I hope you manage to join the Head Tilt Hoppers Facebook Group - they offer loads of support.

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. It sounds like you're going through the mill at the moment. Please don't beat yourself up - it's so difficult to know what the 'right' thing is to do, and we are only human and do our very best.

Hugs to you x

Hi,

I have read a few of the above links, I will read some more when I have a bit more time.

The vet suggested likely causes as inner ear infection or head tilt. I know there are other causes but how treatable are these? She also said to keep a close eye on her and make sure that she doesn't get any worse. Hansa has always been a relatively quiet bunny, that's just in her nature. She seems to hug the outside of the shed/run at the moment - maybe she feels more secure there.

Hansa has 10 days worth of Baytril and the vet has asked to see her again in 10 days, so I'm probably take her on Tuesday evening. I believe vets kind of have a sort of order in which they have to work through antibiotics.

Many thanks for the help and support.

Hannah

It seems her treatment is as expected. Lovely to hear she had a good evening. More vibes for Hansa

She gobbled her greens this morning, but wasn't interested in calabrese that much (greens always get eaten first and calabrese second), gave her some grass as a substitute. Looks interested in hay but only saw her eat the odd strand :( she's normally a hay eating monster!

I just want her to be happy!

Hannah :)

Hi,

I have read a few of the above links, I will read some more when I have a bit more time.

The vet suggested likely causes as inner ear infection or head tilt. I know there are other causes but how treatable are these? She also said to keep a close eye on her and make sure that she doesn't get any worse. Hansa has always been a relatively quiet bunny, that's just in her nature. She seems to hug the outside of the shed/run at the moment - maybe she feels more secure there.

Hansa has 10 days worth of Baytril and the vet has asked to see her again in 10 days, so I'm probably take her on Tuesday evening. I believe vets kind of have a sort of order in which they have to work through antibiotics.

Many thanks for the help and support.

Hannah

Hi Hannah

There's what's called a 'prescribing cascade' where vets usually use the meds licensed for that species first. They can, however. choose the best medication for the condition, even though it's not licensed for rabbits. They use these in accordance with the Cascade:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-cascade-prescribing-unauthorised-medicines

I am glad she will have a review - then you'll be able to discuss all possibilities.

Are you still giving pain relief? That would be necessary in cases of both E.C. and ear infection. Metacam is a non steroidal anti inflammatory, and so will not only relieve pain but reduce inflammation in both the ear and the brain. Thus minimising any ill effects of either of these conditions.

If an inner ear infection is suspected then antibiotic treatment usually needs to be long and aggressive. Around 4-6 weeks and then an extra 2 weeks after symptoms have subsided.

Without doing a sensitivy and culture test it's hard to know which antibiotics will work but what we do know is that Baytril is weak against anaerobic bacteria. It really is a case of trial and error but personally I would request an antibiotic which covered all possibilites. Some popular options are oral Septrin, injectable Penicillin or Doxycycline so maybe discuss this with your vet at your next appointment :)

Hopefully that will be reviewed at my next appointment, which is now booked up for Tuesday evening.

She is just so sweet. Came home to check on her at lunchtime.

just realised my lunch in is the fridge at work!:roll:

Hopefully that will be reviewed at my next appointment, which is now booked up for Tuesday evening.

She is just so sweet. Came home to check on her at lunchtime.

just realised my lunch in is the fridge at work!:roll:

Hope it all goes well for next week.

Sorry about your lunch!! Did you not get to have it during the day then? You must be starving :shock:

I just wanted to post a quick update - I have been cautious to do so previously.

Hansa is not better but does seem to have improved. She gets about better now and is eating more (not back to normal but more).

I did ask the vets for stronger/different antibiotics but they wouldn't prescribe and would only give me another 2 weeks of Baytril which was a bit disappointing/frustrating from what I had read. I will be taking her back for another check up, but I'm not sure when yet.

Thanks

Hannah

I just wanted to post a quick update - I have been cautious to do so previously.

Hansa is not better but does seem to have improved. She gets about better now and is eating more (not back to normal but more).

I did ask the vets for stronger/different antibiotics but they wouldn't prescribe and would only give me another 2 weeks of Baytril which was a bit disappointing/frustrating from what I had read. I will be taking her back for another check up, but I'm not sure when yet.

Thanks

Hannah

What were your vets reasons for not giving antibiotics. Generally speaking if there is no change after 2 weeks then something different should be tried. Does your vet think that she is improving with the Baytril?
X

Thanks

Hannah

Hi Hannah :wave:

I am glad Hansa has improved somewhat.

If at any time you wish to consider getting a second opinion, we will help you find another vet.

You can start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations.

Alternatively you could look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Hi,

I just wanted to pop on and say that Hansa got the clean bill of health from the vets yesterday. She doesn't really have any symptoms left anymore, possibly a tiny but quieter but then I may be looking for something that isn't there (she's always been quieter than caspian).

She is eating well, just adores being on the grass and Jenny's Apple sticks were simply devoured.

Hi,

I just wanted to pop on and say that Hansa got the clean bill of health from the vets yesterday. She doesn't really have any symptoms left anymore, possibly a tiny but quieter but then I may be looking for something that isn't there (she's always been quieter than caspian).

She is eating well, just adores being on the grass and Jenny's Apple sticks were simply devoured.

Thank you for your update Hannah. That's so nice to hear!

I hope all continues to be well with them both :D

Back