• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A friend for Dillon - sad update post 811.

Zoobec

Staff member
Not very well, he is very subdued. He will come and sit with me for nose rubs but has not moved very far from their house. I am very worried as they were so close, they sat on each other and led next to each other - I rarely saw them apart. I think Dillon needs a companion but lost my confidence trying to bond Vimto. I would need somebun big enough to cope with Dilly but dont know what to do.
I do believe that animals (and humans) can make themselves poorly pining for a loved one.
OH did leave Cuthy where Dilly could touch him so that he knew he had gone but that does not help with the pining.
Thank you all for your kind comments - I havent stopped crying yet

I’m so sorry :cry: it is very painful :cry: I don’t know whereabouts you are but there are quite a few large rabbits in rescues at the moment, maybe a rescue could advise you and help with bonding? I can understand why you might have had a confidence knock when things didn’t work out with Vimto, but I’m sure it wasnt anything you did or didn’t do, just that the trio didn’t work, and trios are notoriously difficult anyway. For now, I would try to get through one day at a time, be kind to yourself. Can you give Dilly some different things to try to entertain him, such as forage, rabbit safe sticks, maybe a soft toy to snuggle?

Thinking of you and sending hugs and nose rubs to Dilly xx

I’m so sorry :cry: it is very painful :cry: I don’t know whereabouts you are but there are quite a few large rabbits in rescues at the moment, maybe a rescue could advise you and help with bonding? I can understand why you might have had a confidence knock when things didn’t work out with Vimto, but I’m sure it wasnt anything you did or didn’t do, just that the trio didn’t work, and trios are notoriously difficult anyway. For now, I would try to get through one day at a time, be kind to yourself. Can you give Dilly some different things to try to entertain him, such as forage, rabbit safe sticks, maybe a soft toy to snuggle?

Thinking of you and sending hugs and nose rubs to Dilly xx

Yes we did give him him not a toy but a couple of extra blankets (there is on he really likes) I got a whole stick of sprouts (his fav) and we get forage daily on the dog walk.
If you do see a larger breed bunny in rescue (that would rehome to Lancashire) could you please give me a nudge. I do think Dilly needs to see (if not snuggle) another bun at the moment

Yes we did give him him not a toy but a couple of extra blankets (there is on he really likes) I got a whole stick of sprouts (his fav) and we get forage daily on the dog walk.
If you do see a larger breed bunny in rescue (that would rehome to Lancashire) could you please give me a nudge. I do think Dilly needs to see (if not snuggle) another bun at the moment

I would be happy to keep my eyes and ears open and let you know (privately) if there may be any large bunnies.
Is your preference for male or female?

Hugs to you. I know how devastating this is :cry:

I would be happy to keep my eyes and ears open and let you know (privately) if there may be any large bunnies.
Is your preference for male or female?

Hugs to you. I know how devastating this is :cry:

Thank you for that I appreciate it, I am not sure of male or female but female would be completely different to Cuthy?

Thank you for that I appreciate it, I am not sure of male or female but female would be completely different to Cuthy?

I'm a great fan of letting rabbits meet before marriage. All the rescues & both branches of RSPCA have been happy to facilitate dates. I think its almost impossible to predict what time of friend Dilly would prefer

Well accepted wisdom would say that a female would work best with a neutered male. But a lot depends on personality, and whether the rabbits are dominant or submissive.

Best go for a Rescue Centre as with a privately rehomed rabbit you would have to bond yourself.

After posting on Cuthbert’s rainbow bridge thread I thought maybe it was best if we had a new thread so people could look out for a friend for Dillon, so with permission I’ve started this new thread and moved the posts relating to that in here.

We all know how much you loved Cuthbert, as we did too, and I’m sure Cuthbert would want Dillon to have a new friend xx

I am going to Wales in the morning to meet https://www.rspca.org.uk/findapet/details/-/Animal/BOUDICA/ref/187095/rehome

She has an eye infection at the moment so I can not bring her home, nor can I take Dillon to meet her. I will let you know how I get on.
I have also been in touch with Pawz in Sunderland - if Boudica is not the girl for Dilly I will contac them and Angie from BARC is keeping her eyes open.

Can anyone recommend a bonder in lancashire please?

Thank you all for your help.

I am going to Wales in the morning to meet https://www.rspca.org.uk/findapet/details/-/Animal/BOUDICA/ref/187095/rehome

She has an eye infection at the moment so I can not bring her home, nor can I take Dillon to meet her. I will let you know how I get on.
I have also been in touch with Pawz in Sunderland - if Boudica is not the girl for Dilly I will contac them and Angie from BARC is keeping her eyes open.

Can anyone recommend a bonder in lancashire please?

Thank you all for your help.

Boudica looks lovely :love: I hope it goes well tomorrow.

Yes, as you are probably aware, Pawz in Sunderland have (I think) 3 NZW does. They were recently advertised in the Rabbits in Need section.

I'm sorry I don't know of a bonder in Lancashire for you, but hope that someone can recommend one.

Re a bonder - not Lancashire but Bradford (Clayton) if that's any use? I use Sonya who ran Bunny Camp Sanctuary for 25+ years, a very experienced bonder, she does a lot of bonds for BARC. I can let you have details if close enough, it's a boarding establishment.

Re a bonder - not Lancashire but Bradford (Clayton) if that's any use? I use Sonya who ran Bunny Camp Sanctuary for 25+ years, a very experienced bonder, she does a lot of bonds for BARC. I can let you have details if close enough, it's a boarding establishment.

Thank you Bunny Buddy, yes please for the details.

This bun is at the rescue my Syrup came from. Too far away but very Dillony Indeed
96182628a7189cafcdd8605af20afafd.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back