• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loobers pellet free review

MM - I wouldn't but only cos they have so many wonderful greens at their disposal so they don't get sweet treats at this time of year (apart from a good morning dried cranberry). I don't think it would be risky. I've fed nectarines, plums & cherries before . The sugar worries me rather than the fruit (stone)
Why don't you sell some bags of forage? Maybe for charity? I'm sure the owners of Galens Garden has moved to the Bahamas funded by Toby

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

So, I have a question relating to willow, pretty please :wave:

I bought some from Ebay, but having grown it up, it doesn't look like willow :?

Are there several different sorts - ie widths of leaves ...?

Why don't you sell some bags of forage? Maybe for charity? I'm sure the owners of Galens Garden has moved to the Bahamas funded by Toby

I'm too lazy - its a right hike to my post office & the weather is not reliable enough here. I'd also worry about mould - mildew etc . I don't have enough drying space to manage my bunnies winter expectations . I did used to send a box of fresh to Camp Nibble quite regularly & one time a fab selection of dried.

Cool - I'll send you some willow stub next week

I remember trying to get to the bottom of whether sticks/leaves of members of the Prunus family were toxic quite a while ago. I think I came to the conclusion that they were OK and knew also the FHB had confirmed this. I remain slightly wary though and will still choose other foods to feed in preference and of course there is so much else that can be fed.

I couldn't find the website that I used last time, but I've found this : https://csuvth.colostate.edu/poisonous_plants/Plants/Details/29 What I think this is saying is that all members of the Prunus family contain cyanogenic glycosides. It also states that there is more of an issue with wilted leaves, which I clearly remember from last time I researched it. I think the key point though is the information about simple stomached animals:

"In simple stomached animals, including the horse, the acid pH of the stomach and the fact that horses do not have a lot of bacteria in their stomach's to breakdown the cyanogenic glycosides, means that they are not likely to develop cyanide poisoning from eating the leaves of cherries and apricots etc."

My understanding is that rabbits stomachs are very similar to that of horses. And this is presumably why FHB can be so definite in saying that Plum is OK.

So, I have a question relating to willow, pretty please :wave:

I bought some from Ebay, but having grown it up, it doesn't look like willow :?

Are there several different sorts - ie widths of leaves ...?

There are many different varieties of Willow and they mostly look quite different. If you compare what you've got with Google images, you'll probably be able to determine exactly which variety it is. It could be Goat Willow, if the leaf is wider. See here https://www.google.co.uk/search?saf....0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0....0.pX-H_srRSO4

Will it survive if I keep it in a pot?

What I was suggesting was to buy a plant in a pot and then plant it out i.e. in the ground. It probably would be OK in a pot, but I would put it in the ground if you can. You will need to provide something for it to climb up. We've got a couple growing up the outside of the house. They're also nice when they've fruited and dried. We've got some inside on the wall over a couple of the fireplaces (like they have in country pubs ;):lol:).

I'm too lazy - its a right hike to my post office & the weather is not reliable enough here. I'd also worry about mould - mildew etc . I don't have enough drying space to manage my bunnies winter expectations . I did used to send a box of fresh to Camp Nibble quite regularly & one time a fab selection of dried.

Cool - I'll send you some willow stub next week

Twigs bought some special bag things that breathed and she sold forage :)

I think people who can't forage or who aren't confident would really love a box full.

But I get it's a faff and getting to Post Office with boxes and no car would be a nightmare for me!

There are many different varieties of Willow and they mostly look quite different. If you compare what you've got with Google images, you'll probably be able to determine exactly which variety it is. It could be Goat Willow, if the leaf is wider. See here https://www.google.co.uk/search?saf....0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0....0.pX-H_srRSO4

Thank you :)

Quite possibly is goat willow. If so, then I am assuming still safe for the buns, as that's why I bought it after all :)

Loobers, do you mind that this conversation has branched out? I'm finding it incredibly helpful :)

Thank you :)

Quite possibly is goat willow. If so, then I am assuming still safe for the buns, as that's why I bought it after all :)

Loobers, do you mind that this conversation has branched out? I'm finding it incredibly helpful :)
Nope branch away

Omi would you feed apple leaves?

Nope branch away

Omi would you feed apple leaves?

Absolutely :D And Pear leaves. We have both in the garden and at the end of the season, just before the leaves drop they get handfuls every day, which I pick off the tree. They also get the pruned twigs around Feb time, which have usually got buds on them.

They are very well-liked :D

Absolutely :D And Pear leaves. We have both in the garden and at the end of the season, just before the leaves drop they get handfuls every day, which I pick off the tree. They also get the pruned twigs around Feb time, which have usually got buds on them.

They are very well-liked :D
That's what fluffers sells :) they're really good for Atticus and his gut issues he loves stripping the bark off them, he has them daily - they have helped him so much :D x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

That's what fluffers sells :) they're really good for Atticus and his gut issues he loves stripping the bark off them, he has them daily - they have helped him so much :D x

Yes, I am of the opinion that stripped bark is very beneficial for rabbits' tummies. Does fluffers have them all year round? I guess not :(

Maybe worth getting some for Toby, loobers :thumb:

Yes, I am of the opinion that stripped bark is very beneficial for rabbits' tummies. Does fluffers have them all year round? I guess not :(

She seems to have them every few months throughout the year.. I tend to buy them as soon as she gets them, and the biggest possible box because a few a day for him completely changes him, he's not in pain and the output in the tray is so much better!

I'll never be able to have my own huge trees, small garden and my parents who have the space hate fruit trees Idk why.. But I'm thinking of getting some mini trees when I move to reduce the amount I have to buy.

And yes loobers, you may wanna give Toby some, see if they help him... Although i realise it's not at all similar to issues Atticus has, and when you get them with buds on aren't they sugary? Or am I imaging this? [emoji32] x

Toby has pear and apple leaves and branches. I order them from Galens Garden. I bought a apple tree but didn't take to my garden, I must of planted it wrong!

The reason I ask as I had a little Google about toxicity etc and had a panic :D

She seems to have them every few months throughout the year.. I tend to buy them as soon as she gets them, and the biggest possible box because a few a day for him completely changes him, he's not in pain and the output in the tray is so much better!

I'll never be able to have my own huge trees, small garden and my parents who have the space hate fruit trees Idk why.. But I'm thinking of getting some mini trees when I move to reduce the amount I have to buy.

And yes loobers, you may wanna give Toby some, see if they help him... Although i realise it's not at all similar to issues Atticus has, and when you get them with buds on aren't they sugary? Or am I imaging this? [emoji32] x

Oh gosh, you'd need someone who knows about plant biology to answer that. My understanding is that a bud is merely the folded up new young leaves. I've always thought that creatures (birds, rabbits etc) take buds because they are tender, in the same way as they might take the new shoots of a young plant. I thinks sugars will be produced in the fully-formed leaves as a result of photosynthesis. But I'm willing to be told otherwise :lol:

Toby has pear and apple leaves and branches. I order them from Galens Garden. I bought a apple tree but didn't take to my garden, I must of planted it wrong!

The reason I ask as I had a little Google about toxicity etc and had a panic :D

There's not much that can happen to an Apple tree. I reckon it's likely there was a problem with the tree before it was planted. If you've got the room, it might be worth considering trying again with another one.

AFAIK there are no toxicity issues with Apple leaves or branches. The only problem is the Apple pips but as j&b said, the rabbit would need to eat loads of them before they became a problem.

It might also be worth comparing the price of the sticks in Galen's Garden with those from fluffers.

There's not much that can happen to an Apple tree. I reckon it's likely there was a problem with the tree before it was planted. If you've got the room, it might be worth considering trying again with another one.

AFAIK there are no toxicity issues with Apple leaves or branches. The only problem is the Apple pips but as j&b said, the rabbit would need to eat loads of them before they became a problem.

It might also be worth comparing the price of the sticks in Galen's Garden with those from fluffers.
What's fluffers omi? It was only a cheap tree, was 4.99 from pound stretcher so I thought I would give it a go. Will try again but maybe a better quality tree :)

If you happen to be in contact anyway I'd be interested. Thank You

So first off, thumps says hi to Loobers :wave:

And for Joey concerning blackthorn leaves ... Definitely good after the berries have ripened and have a white bloom. Which means a period of about 6 weeks to when the leaves begin to fall.

Apparently wild rabbits won't eat Blackthorn leaves before this

I hope this helps :)

I remember trying to get to the bottom of whether sticks/leaves of members of the Prunus family were toxic quite a while ago. I think I came to the conclusion that they were OK and knew also the FHB had confirmed this. I remain slightly wary though and will still choose other foods to feed in preference and of course there is so much else that can be fed.

I couldn't find the website that I used last time, but I've found this : https://csuvth.colostate.edu/poisonous_plants/Plants/Details/29 What I think this is saying is that all members of the Prunus family contain cyanogenic glycosides. It also states that there is more of an issue with wilted leaves, which I clearly remember from last time I researched it. I think the key point though is the information about simple stomached animals:

"In simple stomached animals, including the horse, the acid pH of the stomach and the fact that horses do not have a lot of bacteria in their stomach's to breakdown the cyanogenic glycosides, means that they are not likely to develop cyanide poisoning from eating the leaves of cherries and apricots etc."

My understanding is that rabbits stomachs are very similar to that of horses. And this is presumably why FHB can be so definite in saying that Plum is OK.

brilliant. I'm pleased you found & shared this . Thanks

Back