• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rups diet

Hi, my bunnies have some pellets, some greens, hay - three different kinds, access to herbs, plants and grass outside.
He has toys stuff to chew on, stuff to throw about, stuff to leap over and on, he has access to the house to run and play.
He has company albeit behind a fence with Susan. He will go and sit in the sunshine (in the leanto) on a mat with the cat (the cat moves away) he will climb on the furniture but as yet hasn't eaten the wooden chairs or book cases!
We do have logs in the garden and some in the lounge where they are for the wood burner but they have been left alone. Even the basket for kindling. The basket for newspapers is however long eaten
When he came I was given (by rescue) a toy that on googling you give to rats and rodents to gnaw on. I was told it was his favourite. I have not given it to him as I am not sure of its appropriateness for rabbits.
Rups however insists on eating wall paper and rugs, he will if he can find it eat cardboard and paper - I have to beat him to the postman!
He gets sticks from the apple tree, plum tree and raspberry canes, blackberry brambles and because i didnt put it high enough part of my fig tree :(
At his last vets check (early July) for his vac's his teeth were checked and fine.
Oh and he is in massive moult down, he looks like he needs hoovering!

Could it be he is missing something from his diet? Is there something else I can give him. Advice would be really welcome.

Frosty eats cardboard and it causes him gut slowdowns so I don’t give him them. I think his gut slows down during Moult so I try to groom as much as possible out. He peels paper off plasterboard and ate a hole through in a couple of places. Mine also get hay, they eat lots thankfully, apple sticks Fibafirst sticks and forage. I think Frosty might crave fibre when he’s in moult. I just remembered I never sent you the fibafirst sticks for them to try when you sent me your address before, I’m so sorry :oops: life and it’s ups And downs got in the way but I could send you some to see if he liked them? I think some are just bad chewers.

It sounds to me as though his diet is absolutely fine. I don't think his interest in rugs, cardboard and paper is caused by anything lacking. I think he just enjoys chewing those things :) Tui is very similar. They always have a cardboard box in the shed, which is to provide a safe place for them. It starts off being fine and then over time she tears bits off. Mostly I don't think she is eating them. It's just the fun of doing it. I don't give them rugs or anything made of fabric, as I think they would be chewed or used as a toilet.

The main worry I think is if Rups ingests the bits he is tearing off, which obviously could cause issues. If he's not doing that, I really wouldn't be concerned.

Dennis would eat anything he could give the chance I think they just enjoy doing so? Ruperts diet seems perfect to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frosty eats cardboard and it causes him gut slowdowns so I don’t give him them. I think his gut slows down during Moult so I try to groom as much as possible out. He peels paper off plasterboard and ate a hole through in a couple of places. Mine also get hay, they eat lots thankfully, apple sticks Fibafirst sticks and forage. I think Frosty might crave fibre when he’s in moult. I just remembered I never sent you the fibafirst sticks for them to try when you sent me your address before, I’m so sorry :oops: life and it’s ups And downs got in the way but I could send you some to see if he liked them? I think some are just bad chewers.

Thank you and no worries about the sticks, life is complicated enough at the moment isnt it :) It was incase of gut slow down that I worry, thank you for your answers.

It sounds to me as though his diet is absolutely fine. I don't think his interest in rugs, cardboard and paper is caused by anything lacking. I think he just enjoys chewing those things :) Tui is very similar. They always have a cardboard box in the shed, which is to provide a safe place for them. It starts off being fine and then over time she tears bits off. Mostly I don't think she is eating them. It's just the fun of doing it. I don't give them rugs or anything made of fabric, as I think they would be chewed or used as a toilet.

The main worry I think is if Rups ingests the bits he is tearing off, which obviously could cause issues. If he's not doing that, I really wouldn't be concerned.

They have fleeces in their houses, which I swop daily they also have a bear each - neither of which get eaten, however the rug (made of a really coarse fibre and stretches from lounge through the dining room into the leanto as Susan can not manage laminate) he eats with gusto! He understands "ack ack" as a method of stopping him and wanders off in search of other things to do but he does ingest.
Thank you Omi for your help.

Dennis would eat anything he could give the chance I think they just enjoy doing so? Ruperts diet seems perfect to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Loobers, I do think he likes different things he will eat so many more things than Susan. When he first came he was like a Tasmanian devil for dried cat food, we no longer have the fruit bowl on the dining table as he could get onto the chairs and up onto the table, the book case has had to be closed in with wood at the bottom to stop him eating books. The other thing is he has a wooden hay rack made from left over wood from Susans house - he doesnt eat that but if he gets in Susans house (when she is playing out) he eats the wood its made from. Perhaps he is just strange.

Thank you and no worries about the sticks, life is complicated enough at the moment isnt it :) It was incase of gut slow down that I worry, thank you for your answers.

My life was already complicated before the virus :lol: I can try to send you some if you think he would like them?

My life was already complicated before the virus :lol: I can try to send you some if you think he would like them?

Thank you but no thank you, he has refused nothing I have put in front of his paws including my wellies, newspaper basket, a cactus (ready for posting) a cheque book belonging to work and on the telephone table (he shouldnt be able to reach) duplo, the skirting board, the door frame and a newly decorated wall. So I could be quietly confident he would eat them!

Thank you but no thank you, he has refused nothing I have put in front of his paws including my wellies, newspaper basket, a cactus (ready for posting) a cheque book belonging to work and on the telephone table (he shouldnt be able to reach) duplo, the skirting board, the door frame and a newly decorated wall. So I could be quietly confident he would eat them!

:lol: he sounds a bit of a monkey!

B&W are chewers - cardboard, the edge of their house, and carpet if they dig it up before we can get to it! Phillip also enjoys a tasty piece of cardboard.
I think his diet sounds perfect and don't think you need to worry :)

B&W are chewers - cardboard, the edge of their house, and carpet if they dig it up before we can get to it! Phillip also enjoys a tasty piece of cardboard.
I think his diet sounds perfect and don't think you need to worry :)

Perhaps not worried but looking for something that is more fulfilling for him. B&W look way too innocent to be carpet chewers :)

Perhaps not worried but looking for something that is more fulfilling for him. B&W look way too innocent to be carpet chewers :)

I've had to bulk order sea grass mats to put in all the corners to stop them! They are monsters. The sea grass mats seem to work though and they chew/dig those instead. (at least until they find a new piece of carpet they like, lol)

Would also love to see photos :D

I would be delighted to put photos on, I am between 2 houses at the moment and havent a lead for my phone so tomorrow I shall do as I am bid.

Back