• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Custom bunny ramp

Emma-C

New Kit
Hi, can anyone recommend someone/somewhere that can make me a custom sized ramp for my hutch? The ramp that it came with is really steep and poorly made, so I'd like something longer and more stable, with rungs. It's going to need to be 70cm x 15cm. Thanks!

Hi
We could! at the welfare hutch company we have made bespoke ramps and steps for people before including for disabled bunnies :)

If it's quite a tight space, a good option can be to go for steps rather than a ramp. That way you can go up quite a steep angle over a short distance, but it's much easier for a bun to do.

I didn't know it would be possible to get steps to fit! Excellent idea though.

Thanks Boris - do you know approximately how long it would take/how much it would cost?

If it's quite a tight space, a good option can be to go for steps rather than a ramp. That way you can go up quite a steep angle over a short distance, but it's much easier for a bun to do.

How big would you think each step should be? I'd like to attempt steps!
Finx and Tango have a second storey to their run but haven't been allowed up there since Finx broke her leg, as it involved a heavy landing on a box.
I wanted to build a ramp now that she's healed (still avoiding high impact landings just in case), but having bought the wood I can see I'd need to lose a lot of floor space upstairs.
Sorry to jump on the thread...!

It would depend on your bunnies, I'd say around 6-8" would be very comfortable but a lot of bunnies could manage a bit more. Another option is a combination so you have a box a the bottom the ramp goes to that way you don't end up with that space right at the bottom under the ramp that isn't big enough for anything. Or you can have a series of shelves that double up as sitting spots.

It would depend on your bunnies, I'd say around 6-8" would be very comfortable but a lot of bunnies could manage a bit more. Another option is a combination so you have a box a the bottom the ramp goes to that way you don't end up with that space right at the bottom under the ramp that isn't big enough for anything. Or you can have a series of shelves that double up as sitting spots.

I like the idea of shelves as sitting spots. Hope it doesn't rain on Sunday! Thanks for the ideas :)

Using decking planks you can make them quite steep, although this example isn't very steep:
one.jpg

Yes pretty easy, you just screw the planks together from underneath. Then you add a few feet for stability.

The only hard part is working out how far to overlap them to get the height you want.

Back