• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can they be allergic to hay/straw?

Yes, bvut I can't imagine an allergy would cause what you are seeing in your bunny, although it may exaccerbate the problem.

Removing any straw and ensuring you use only dust free hay might be a good starting point but he still needs to go to a good vet for appropriate treatment.

Ive heard of a guinea pig having hayfever so im sure if rabbits can be allergic too.

Though if your rabbit is showing signs of a runny/wet nose, sneezing etc i would take it to the vet :wave:

We are doing. We've removed all his bedding so he's only got newspaper, Yes,you might be shocked,but he mays a nest with it, And he wraps inside it:lol:

But there's a lovely warm bed for him downstairs.

His diet needs to be 80-90% of hay so its cruel to remove his hay.

...And what happens if he dosn't have hay, He can eat Hay if he wishes

How can he eat hay if you've removed it all? If whatever is wrong with him is somehow linked to his teeth (which it may be) not eating hay will only make the problem worse... Vets is a much better idea to find out, rather than guessing what might be the problem

...And what happens if he dosn't have hay, He can eat Hay if he wishes

Its good you have left him with hay :)

If he doesn't eat hay his gut will struggle greatly, he may get even more severely ill, he may die, if he lives he may struggle with dental issues.

Imagine you were allowed to only eat one type of sweets and nothing else. It wouldn't be too healthy for you to only eat that.

Like i've said,we've been to the vets 4 times. He has a hutch, He lives upstairs,he can go downstairs and eat his hay if he wishes.

Oh ok, from what I read he had no access to any hay.
I think you need to take him to a different vet why might know more about rabbits than your current vets, could have other ideas what the problem might be.

As long as he can eat hay if he chooses then that's fine :)

Its good you have been trying for him, but it sounds like your vet is not good so those 4 trips have shown you cared, but haven't been effective. A vet trip to a recommended surgery may make the world of difference. He's only going to keep getting worse, sadly.

I can definitely understand why he would be angry. I'd be pretty angry and distressed if I couldn't breathe.

Keeping him calm is very important.

Last edited:
he probably is distressed - very - as he can't breathe. from your photos, it looks like he has a pretty nasty infection.

glad he's eating hay though as it is the most important thing in a rabbits diet.

sounds like you need a new vet!
A vet who knows more about bunnies, is there any more vets near you? or one you can get to?

sounds like you need a new vet!
A vet who knows more about bunnies, is there any more vets near you? or one you can get to?

On the thread in Infirmary someone kind has linked to a previous thread with lots of recommendations near where Steno lives :)

Back