• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick bunny -big weight lose-help

it's been 5 days since her teeth trimming and she is still doesnt eat good bye her self. I still have too force feed her every 3h :cry: she is trying too eat little hay and paletts but not enough :( her poops are also still small :( i called her vet and we are going for a check up tomorow :( how long can this take? Thank you for help!

I would revisit the vet if she's still not eating after 5 days. She may need antibiotics.

How happy are you with your vet?

im going tomorow morning to see what is going on with her. I have the best vet that i could find in my city.

i took her to the vet today, he give her pain meds and metaclopramide. She weights 2000g now, 2 months ago she was 2850g, she is now under weight yet but rapid loss is the problem :( i asked about xray but they dont do that in my city i would have to take her to the other part of the country :/ i will do it if needed but i dont know how she will react on driving so long. She is more active today and goes eating little hay every once i a while and her poop are a bit bigger. Vet said i should force feed her couple times a day and let her try to eat alone when she is hungy. he also said it could take he 14 days to get back to normal :( since rabbits are not common pets in here and most die before they are 5 years old , was vet surprised that she is over 5 years old and taken care so good. we are fist familiy that brought bunny back for treatment everyday and we still do and she is best managed rabbit in his work history :) now i have to wait and see how she is going to act
I roderd Oxbow essentials food and all support tablets oxbow i could find online.

i took her to the vet today, he give her pain meds and metaclopramide. She weights 2000g now, 2 months ago she was 2850g, she is now under weight yet but rapid loss is the problem :( i asked about xray but they dont do that in my city i would have to take her to the other part of the country :/ i will do it if needed but i dont know how she will react on driving so long. She is more active today and goes eating little hay every once i a while and her poop are a bit bigger. Vet said i should force feed her couple times a day and let her try to eat alone when she is hungy. he also said it could take he 14 days to get back to normal :( since rabbits are not common pets in here and most die before they are 5 years old , was vet surprised that she is over 5 years old and taken care so good. we are fist familiy that brought bunny back for treatment everyday and we still do and she is best managed rabbit in his work history :) now i have to wait and see how she is going to act
I roderd Oxbow essentials food and all support tablets oxbow i could find online.

I do hope that your Rabbit will show some signs of improvement. Would the Vet you can get to be able to run a full blood profile to see check on your Rabbit's Kidney/Liver function, amongst other things ?

You are obviously doing all you can to try to help your Rabbit, despite the fact that access to Rabbit Specific Veterinary care is extremely limited in your location.

I do hope that your Rabbit will show some signs of improvement. Would the Vet you can get to be able to run a full blood profile to see check on your Rabbit's Kidney/Liver function, amongst other things ?

You are obviously doing all you can to try to help your Rabbit, despite the fact that access to Rabbit Specific Veterinary care is extremely limited in your location.

I ask about xray and blood test, he said that we sould wait a little bit and see if she gets better with eating, i honestly dont know if they do blood test on rabbits. I dont know. i have a feeling that he is really trying to help me and Nana, i can be really annoying pet owner since i know something about my bunny but he really is trying to find the best thing he can do, but yes stuff a very limited for bunnys (food, vets ets...) here and it make me so sad because bunnys are best pets you can get and i would never change Nana even is she is's having more health problem then my 11 years old dog.
but yes most pet rabbits here in Slovenia live 3years most 4. people dont buy special food because is expencive, they live in cages, they are not spayed, i mean its sad. Sometimes i get so angry when i listen people how they rabbits live. My bunny owns 100m2 house that is customize for her safety and needs, i buy her best food online that can be shipped in my country, i take her to the vet everytime she is not well for 12h.

i have a question, my vet said i should buy hemp oil and give some drops in her food? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Thank you!!!

That's a wonderful accolade - you must be the best bunny owner in Slovenia. It must be very frustrating finding it so difficult to access all the vet care that we in the UK take for granted. Its great news Nana is eating a little better - I really hope that continues. Sending lots of get well wishes

Your vet is quite right, it can take 2 weeks for a rabbit to get back to normal. My rabbit recently (we never found the cause) was being syringe fed for more than 2 weeks as there was no other way.

Since I'm not sure whether a urinary tract infection has been excluded, I wonder whether a urine test might be appropriate? Sometimes just a dipstick test (very simple) but sometimes sent off to the lab (expensive). I have had cases where a rabbit with a UTI doesn't respond to one antibiotic but will respond to another one. Also, give a long enough course - at least 10 days and preferable two weeks plus.

Sending lots of vibes for Nana. She is certainly a lucky Slovenian rabbit to have you as her owner and I hope that with your help she will improve soon.

I was just wondering whether you live close to the border, which would mean it would be closer to go to a vet in say Austria.

i did consider taking her to the vet in austria, but my german its not that good :/ they didnt make any test of her urine, vet only asked me if the urine is still bloody (but is not thank god).
i have a check up on saturday with her i hope she starts eating alone atleast hay.
Thank you all for youre help!!!!!!

Love Dina & Nana

i did consider taking her to the vet in austria, but my german its not that good :/ they didnt make any test of her urine, vet only asked me if the urine is still bloody (but is not thank god).
i have a check up on saturday with her i hope she starts eating alone atleast hay.

Love Dina & Nana

Well if distance-wise it is easier for you, I would not be concerned about your lack of German. I would be very surprised if the vet and also his staff were unable to speak English. It's certainly an option that you can keep in mind, if you feel you need to take Nana somewhere else for treatment :)

Love Dina & Nana

You are working so hard for Nana :)

As regards the hemp oil, I would give it as the vet has suggested. It contains a lot of good things, and Cannabidiol (CBD) is not the same product, so don't be afraid :)

How are things today Dina?

hi, i steel force feed her 4 times a day with 15-18ml of mix, then i have to lock her in her cage because then she is trying to eat hay( i maked a plan - if i lock her in my room she will get a bit bored and will go to her toilet and try eating hay. I live her in my room for 1h in between her feedings. I lock her in her cage for 30-40min after feeding with all her food because she is always trying to eat after force feed. i mean my bunny is really weird...
She started eating a liitle bit of hay alone and some veggies but its not still enough. Her poops are a bit bigger today i find some Cecotropes today for the first time. She is a bit more active today and wants to cuddle with my dad. I give her pain meds everyday, i have them till saturday and then i will have to take to the vet for check up. Its been 7days since her teeth trimming. Its a slow progress.

hi, i steel force feed her 4 times a day with 15-18ml of mix, then i have to lock her in her cage because then she is trying to eat hay( i maked a plan - if i lock her in my room she will get a bit bored and will go to her toilet and try eating hay. I live her in my room for 1h in between her feedings. I lock her in her cage for 30-40min after feeding with all her food because she is always trying to eat after force feed. i mean my bunny is really weird...
She started eating a liitle bit of hay alone and some veggies but its not still enough. Her poops are a bit bigger today i find some Cecotropes today for the first time. She is a bit more active today and wants to cuddle with my dad. I give her pain meds everyday, i have them till saturday and then i will have to take to the vet for check up. Its been 7days since her teeth trimming. Its a slow progress.

No she isn't weird! That's normal. Once a rabbit has some food, they seem to get their appetite and want to keep eating. So you are quite right to capitalise on that the way you are doing :)

Seven days .....Very slow progress. Makes me wonder what's happening in her mouth :?

No she isn't weird! That's normal. Once a rabbit has some food, they seem to get their appetite and want to keep eating. So you are quite right to capitalise on that the way you are doing :)

Seven days .....Very slow progress. Makes me wonder what's happening in her mouth :?

Vet said that it will take up to 14 days for her to be normal. She had everything at once, bloody urine, GI and then her teeth trimmed. She was on antibiotics for more then 14days all together so her stomach is probably still recovering. I dont know i really try everything i can and buy everything for her to feel better but it is a slow process. I dont know what else i can do. i will start researching if i can find a vet in my country that knows rabbit better then just basic things... But i still hope for her to get better.

Back